Arth-Write-Us, My Paws Are A Akin!!

Started by Olin Broke, May 15, 2006, 10:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olin Broke

Anybody around the campfire get sore paws from shoot'n WartHog loads in their 44/45's?  I do and was a-wonder'n does any of you take a break from the big guys and shoot BP in .38/357's?  Seems like it might keep ya have having to stop shooting till the pain eases.  I know ya can't talk load info, BUT------ Do they make enough smoke?  Will they clear the sinuses when the Pards and Pardettes get a whiff?

I just hate to admittin I'm not a youngster anymore!  I guess I'm just seasoned.  Kinda like the barrels on my 45's.

Olin Broke
MM: Wallace Hughston, TX
Noble: El Maida, TX
SASS #68555
Rio Vaqueros, NM Territory
Bold: #716
Dirty Rat: 273

Cuts Crooked

QuoteI know ya can't talk load info, BUT------

Actually Pard, you CAN talk load info here in The Darksiders Den. This ain't the SASS Wire and our rules are our own. As long as we are talkin' Black Powder, any load data is wlecome.

As to usin' 38s when ya gots painful paws, no problem. I now have two sets of irons, one in .45 and one in .38/.357 mag. I had to go a little lighter a couple of years ago after a small stroke and the .38s were just the ticket, they still make plenty of smoke and boom without the serious recoil of a full house .45. My .45s are still my main match guns, but once in a while I just don' feel up to dealin' with the buck & roar. Then my little guns come out to play again. ;D
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Olin,

I have a consecutive numbered pair of RVs, old style, in 38/357 for just those kind of days.  I load 38 Special brass with a compressed load of FFFg Holy Black under a Snakebite bullet.  The bullet works great in my Browning 92 357 Magnum rifle and my RVs.  I like to only use one kind of ammo at a match.  Cuts down on confusion.

Those lil 38s make plenty of smoke, roar and boom and hit the knockdowns with enough oomph to take 'em down clean provided I shoot straight.  The bullets are accurate enough to do a great job of "long range pistol" rifle side matches out to 200 yards.

I have the molds in stock and on my web site, www.biglube.com, you will find several pards that cast the Snakebite bullets for sale.

The lighter 158 grain bullets and reduced recoil can be a real bonus to pards that have hurtin' wrists from time to time, and I'm one of 'em.

Enjoy the smoke.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Olin Broke

Thanks DD & Cuts!  As Well as any others that wish to provide edi-fy info.

Well its official, I broke down and went to the Dr.  She says this is a first.  I'm the only one she knows with "Trigger Finger" in my "Trigger Finger".  I get the BIG SHOT in my joint tomorrow.  OK, OK, my finger joint.  Don't go makin no wise cracks.

I forgot to mention that yesterday was my first time shootin BP in a match.  I'm hooked.  I sure did get everyones attention.  Them NM Vaquero 45's, an original Win 92, in 38-40 and CV's SxS Coach Gun had everyone headin up wind when I got ready shoot.  Did notice one thing though,  The original NMV grips are small in my hands.  WartHog loads made them want to row-tate.  It was kinda painful!  38-40 took out one of the rifle targets.  Guess I could lower the load some.  I just can't understand why the Pard holdin the timer didn't feel the need to stand right close.

Overall, it was a great time.  I'll be gettin out the Rugers and Marlin CBC in 38/357' for a while till the Doc guiets laughing and says I can go back to the Big Toys.  I refuse to lower my standards in the SxS.  Just love that GOEX FFFg.

Olin
SASS #68555

Marshal harpoluke

;D :D ;D

Long Colts in 357Mag Holy Black, 158grains, accurate, powerful--thell'll Do. ;D

8)
SASS 60019L
NRA Life
CASS
Muckraker
Straight Shooter
Army Veteran
GOFWG#269
LASOOS#35s,
Lookout fur da sheep, packs a 10ga.,
Ya loot, Ah Shoot,
Lord of the Dark Soot,
Prayer Posse,
GoofBall #12

Arcey

1 cc Goex 2f.  .357 Magnum case.  Lyman 358091 wadcutter cast 5/1 - wheel weights/soft lead, SPG lubed.  CCI small pistol primer.

The smoke and wonderful aroma makes me happy.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

I Ben Robbed

If you want to stay with the .45s, I have a light load I worked up for my conversions.  18 grains of Goex 3F topped off with grits (I have a .38 special case I use as a "dipper" and it tops off the .45LC case to perfection), and a 180 grain SPG lubed bullet.  Makes plenty of smoke, plenty of boom (the crowd cant tell the difference anyway) and not near the recoil of my full loads.

Cyrille

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on May 15, 2006, 11:33:40 AM
Howdy Olin,

you will find several pards that cast the Snakebite bullets for sale.

Enjoy the smoke.

DD-DLoS
Ah kin go with th sellin o bullits, but pards :o ???
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Cyrille.

Only the cast pards, not the molds for 'em.  They tend to stick in the molds.  But Big Lube™ pards?  Naah, but groovy, ya bet. . . . ;D

Actually it's both Mason Stillwell and Springfield Slim that have Snakebite boolits for sale.  I only sell the molds from which they are made.  There are others sellin' 'em, but Mason and Slim both have a very good record of takin' care of pards that want to buy their Big Lube™ bullets pronto.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

sundance44`s

Something else to try .. if you are useing the 250 gr bullets ..try a lighter bullet .. its the weight of the bullets causeing the big recoil .. i use the 200 gr bullets ..and they don`t produce so much kill on me hand end . I don`t care for match shots that kill on one end and cripple on the other .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Cyrille

That'll change POI and force an ajustment in POA. I have gone from a 200gr to a 180 and find that my gun shoots a bit lower with the same powder charge which is what I wanted anyway.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Arcey

Whutcha know 'bout that?  There is learnin' goin' on like DD always sez..............

Nother thing needs ta be known 'twix 36s 'n 45s.  The big bores are lighter than the l'il ones.  L'il bores are heavier.  That dampens the recoil more.

There's .45 caliber stuff whut'll weigh out at 160 gn., same as my 358665 boolets.  A few grains ah grits as a filler don't weigh much.  That'll get 1cc of Holy Black ta werk with a light boolet in .45.  Kindah follows that'll change the POA/POI now don't it?

Recoil is still gonna be more than the .36 stuff.  The irons in .45 ain't as heavy.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Olin Broke

How-Do:

I loaded some 38's yesterday with Goex FFFg. (I like it becuse my BP measure doesn't cut the kernals like FFg.)  Loaded 15 grains by weight 1/4" of Cream of Wheat and a 125grn RNFP.  This load gives me 3/16's compression.  Gonna give them a try this weekend and depending on the weather, I'll try to get-um chrono'd.  Any of you Pards got an idea of what the FPS might be.

Also planning on loading some with lubed wads for my Marlin.  Should be about the same amount of BP.  Figured I needed a lubed wad for the rifle.

"OB"
SASS #68555

Arcey

FWIW, Olin, I don't use lubed wads in the Marlins' loads.  I do use a 1/16" fiber wad.

When I went back to FC, I'd already been messin' with a CB.  Last time I was doin' Holy Black it was out of a CS.  No trouble out the short barrel, the long barrel was foulin' up hard in the last couple three inches short of the muzzle.  Same load, same lube, add the wad, shoot all day - no foulin'.

The things would be a pain to add to most loaders.  I enjoy the time I take loadin' on a single stage so they're not a liability ta me. 

The SnakeBite design carries more lube than the bullets I shoot.  They may eliminate the need for wads all together.  But, the fiber wads will work if ya take the time to use 'em.

44caliberkid

I would also suggest a lighter bullet, and though it borders on heresy, less powder and fillers or wads. (Don't hang me boys, just tryin' to help the pard out.)
   One more thing, try about 4 or 5 Ibuprofen before the match and reload at lunch, works great for all my aches and pains.

sundance44`s

I have a check list that helps too ... morning of a shoot wife says .. back brace ?  ..check !  knee brace ? check ! elbow brace ? check !  ok we`re ready lets go !   gotta luv her !  ;D
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Cyrille

Darn it  .44  y'u need al thet ta shoot a lil ole pistol ???
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com