Long Range Rifle, pistol caliber

Started by Silas Slaughter sass#70654, May 09, 2006, 03:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silas Slaughter sass#70654

Got a Marlin 1894 in 44mag with the 24" barrel. I want to use it in the lever gun, pistol caliber category. Can anyone suggest a good tang sight and maybe a few good loads to try out? Anyone have any luck with this rig?
Thanks for the help

Silas

Nobody knows nuthin, aint seen nuthin and aint sayin nuthin about what they aint seen.

Camille Eonich

Sorry Silas....when I shoot long range lever action I just use my regular buckhorn sites and my regular ammo.
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Camille Eonich

"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Tensleep

I doan know nothin' 'bout no 44 mag loads, but all tha lever pistol caliber long range stuff that I have been in regular loads an' iron sights work fine.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Cyrille

CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

clehfeldt

I use a 24" 44 mag Marlin. I use a Marble's tang sight with a Taylor and Co. globe front with a post insert. Works for me.
Carlos El Hombre
Carlos El Hombre

Thanks fer all the help. Think I will get a MArbles tang sight. Carlos, how does that rig work for ya? What distances are ya shootin to?

Modoc

Silas,

When I use my 44 browning for NRA cowboy silhouette, I use a midrange load of Alliant 2400 with a 230ish gr. bullet.  Check the Lasercast manual for their loads, I don't have my notes handy right now.  The Marbles sight is very good, just make sure that you get the one with the click-adjust, it's easier to find repeatable points.  Personally, all of my rifles have full buckhorn rear sights and either post or post and bead front sights and work out to 150 meters plus.

On a side note, the last time I used the Browning 44 for Silhouettes, it was loaded with 30gr. FFFg and a 200gr. Lasercast over a wonderwad.  Did the job well, but at 100m, the bullet drop was very noticible ;D

Regards,
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Thanks again for all the help. Got my Marbles tang in today.

Silas

Camille Eonich

Silas please let us know how it works out for you.
― Clint Eastwood

h c ramrod

Howdy , Well I have a 1892 winchester made in japan by Miroko in 44 mag , its a great gun.

I load the 240 grn lead hard cast round nose flat point, in front of 10 grains of blue dot powder , its a great load
for long range cowboy shoots. i use the marbles tang sight on lots of my rifle's and the work well with the clic adjustments. this rifle also has a ladder sight on it and when i use that i get out to 300 yards with that load.
try it yah might like it ...........take care......... High Country Ramrod.
keep yur powder dry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com