Colt Paterson

Started by Triggersmith, May 03, 2006, 03:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triggersmith

I'm not sure this is the right forum. if it isn't, point me in the right direction.  I'm looking for someone with knowledge about the Paterson.  I'm interested in old weaponry and the Paterson looks interesting.  This includes the Uberti Paterson.  With or without loading lever.
Thanks
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Books OToole

I don't know what you want to know but:

Colt "Patterson's" were manufactured from 1837 to 1840.

There are four Models.

No. 1 Pocket Model -  5 shot .28 & .31 cal. - 1837-38 - 500 produced

No. 2 Pocket Model - 5 shot .31 & .34 cal. - 1837-1840 - 800 produced

Belt Model - 5 shot .31 & .34 cal. - 1838-1840 - 800 produced

Holster Model or "Texas Patterson" -  5 shot .36 cal. - 1838-1840 - 1000 produced.

All of the above information is from Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms.

I hope this helps.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Triggersmith

Thanks Books.  I appreciate the reply.  I've noticed a Uberti with loading lever and without, and a Pietta.  I'm looking for someone that owns one and can give me some advise on one. Thanks for the heads up on the guide.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

Chance

I don't own one but I tested one for a magazine a few months back. Uberti without the loading lever. Nice finish. Shoots well. Separate loading tool is easy to master. The lockwork is complicated compared to the normal percussion Colt. Doubt if it's a competition revolver but a good one for 'style points'.

Triggersmith

thank you for the reply Chance.  it is a very unusual pistol and that interests me.  You have been most helpful.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

Frenchie

Quote from: Triggersmith on May 03, 2006, 06:44:09 PMIt is a very unusual pistol and that interests me.
Triggersmith

IMAO, that right there is enough reason to buy it.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Dr. Bob

Howdy Triggersmith,

If you ever get down in North Central Oklahoma you should visit the Woolarock Museum which is just south of Bartlesville. They have one of the best and biggest collection of Patterson revolvers, bar none!  The museum houses the Phillips collection which was gathered by the Phillips oil family.  I was there in the mid 1980's, so my memory is not real full of details anymore. [CRS]  In my opinion, it is well worth a side trip if you ever get near Tulsa.

I have a Uberti Patterson and I have not shot it much.  It seems to function well when I use it in my living history activities.  I have an original pepperbox to compare it to which is a good learning experience for folks that aren't familiar with mid 19th Century firearms.

I have to agree that is certainly packed with style points.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

O.T. Buchannan

Dr. Bob, I wish someone would make a decent quality reproduction Pepperbox!!!
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

Triggersmith

Thank you for your reply Doc.  I really like unusual weapons and the Paterson ranks right up there with the best.  I will most likely get myself one.  Thanks again for all the response.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

Will Ketchum

I had a friend who has passed away some years ago.  He was a renowned collector with many original guns.  He had a unfired baby Paterson that in the mid 80s he had insured for $15,000.  I often wonder what happened to his collection after he died.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Guns Garrett

Another good spot in this neck of the woods (NE OK and SE KS) is the Jim Davis Museum in Claremore OK, about 40-50 miles east of Woolarock.  The Museum was robbed a while back, but I believe they did recover most of the weapons.  Of course there's the Dalton Museum here in Coffeyville - not a big collection, but some famous ones, like Bob Dalton's SAA and 76 Winchester.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com