Number of reloads

Started by Blue Steel Traveller, April 27, 2006, 05:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Steel Traveller

How many reloads can one expect with these light loads?  I'm using 38 special at around 800 fps.

Cyrille

Can't answer for you but I reload .45 Colt and have experenced anywhere from two to one hundred I find that,  in my experence, Starline is one of the best brass cartridges, Winchester is durn good, so is C.B.C. and Remington brasscolored, brass I have used their 'nickle' coated brass and have had three or four split on firing. No problem was caused however, as they were encased by the Vaquero's cylinder they did not split wide but the split was completely through the case wall. Let me add that the number of split cases after the first firing is miniscule when you consider the number of cases I buy. This is not to say that brass colored brass cases do not or cannot split, but in my limited experence I have yet to have a brass colored brass case split on me.
Let me say also that I am not a 'warthog' I load within the accepted 'cowboy' loading data and stay away from the lighest and heavist powder load listed for the particular bullet I am using in my reloads.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

hellgate

I don't know the answer but if you get a lot of soot on your brass, they are not that hot of a load because the brass is not expanding all the way to seal the chamber. The diameter of your chamber will have a large bearing on case life. The more you expand (by firing) and then shrink down (by resizing) the more the brass will become work hardened and  eventually crack. Also, if you flare the mouths excessively and then crimp you will get case mouth splits in just a few (4 or 5) reloads. Limited case resizing and limited flaring & crimping will increase case life considerably. However I do not know if you'll get 8, 12, or 20+ reloads per case. It all depends. I'd rather suffer shorter case life for reliable feeding anytime. Hopefully someone else will tell us their experience.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

PlacitasSlim

I got a box of Starline .38 a couple of years ago for Miss Lilli and have not lost any yet. Her loads run around 700fps and have each been reloaded about ten times. ;D

Sagebrush Burns

Straight sided brass loaded at these levels should have a very long case life.  Be careful to put minimum "bell" in the case mouth prior to bullet seating - too much is probably the number cause of case failure.

Curley Cole

I have been experimenting with my brass to see how long it would last. I have been using the same brass for the last year and a couple of months. (I shoot only one match a month) I shoot both 38 and 45lc. I use Winchester and Starline. So far I have not lost any brass to cracking or splitting only brass loss has been to not getting all of it from the pickups (although I have to admit that even has been minimal., This last match I only lost 2 rounds and I was also providing brass for a new shooter so had about 400 plus rounds.)

So, the short of it is that my brass has been holding up darn good
cc
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Piney Woods

I've reloaded my Starline 45 Colt cases at least 25 times each and lost only about 1/2 dozen to splits. That's six or so out of about 8,000 reloads. Not a bad ratio. I do bell the case mouth as little as possible when loading, and I think that's the primary reason for the case longevity.
Piney Woods
NRA Life, SASS Life, RO-2, SBSS 189, GONH, Libertarian
http://www.pineywoodsplace.com/     
http://www.piecesofwood.com/     
"Growing old is inevitable; growing up is optional."

Camille Eonich

How in the world do you keep up with how many times you get to reload it?  Serious question...inquiring minds want to know.
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Sagebrush Burns

I've got about 2500 Starline brass all fired 3 times now and working on the fourth go-round.  When I shoot them I keep them separated (in labeled coffee cans) by how many times they've been fired.  Each time I re-load, I change the label on the box of loads.  I AM somewhat AR about it, but it's easy to keep track.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com