reloading 38 hollow based wadcutter

Started by law dawg, March 23, 2006, 01:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

law dawg

Didn't come up with anything doing a search so maybe someone can help me with a question.  Can the rockchucker be used to load 38 hollow based smokeless wadcutter loads, also is there a site that can break it all down as far as the procedure and all necessary tools?  I have the latest speer manual and am reading that but am looking for other info as well.  Can't afford the dillon as yet and this seems like a low cost way to get into reloading, unless there's something I don't know about.

Arcey

A Rockchucker and the proper set of dies will load anything.  Hell, I load shotshells on a Rockchucker.

Get your load data from a place you trust then PM me.  I'll walk you thru it.

A hollow based wadcutter loaded midrange is probably the most accurate target load one can use in a revolver.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Micheal Fortune

Here are a couple of good places online to look for load data.

http://www.imrpowder.com/ IMR powder

http://www.hodgdon.com/  Hodgdon  (I like TiteGroup)

Hope this helps
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Arcey

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

law dawg

Went to that hodgdon site and the hp38 would seem to be right up my alley as well as the titegroup, don't know if you've dealt with that one or not, but I went to the rcbs website and I'll be damed I couldn't find the prices anywhere I must've been looking in the wrong area but lord someone go to that site and tell me what dies to buy, but I guess I could just call em up and let them tell what I need to order.

Arcey

HP38 is good stuff.  It'll work just fine.

Dawg, have ya got any equipment it all yet?

Tensleep

Lawdawg,
I love my Rockchucker but I ain't gonna use RCBS dies.
I recommend Lee carbide dies.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1143148964.822=/html/catalog/dies-pistol.html

Ya can't go wrong here.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

law dawg

No I haven't purchased anything for reloading yet just trying to scout prices and find out what I need as well as the steps to take.  By the way what is wrong with rcbs dies?  I need something foolproof where any idiot can load properly without killing myself or someone else.

Tensleep

Just don't like RCBS dies compared to Lee dies.
Carbide dies require no lube prior to loading.

I started loading with a Lee Anniversary Kit, Arcey and Derby Younger (God rest his soul) taught me over the phone and by email and chat.

Inexpensive and very reliable.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist

Arcey

Sorry ta have run off on ya, Dawg.  Sumthin' come up.

Ya kin count on 'Sleep ta tell ya straight.  Lee sells a nice four die set that includes the factory crimp die.

law dawg

Would both of ya'll recommend the Lee Aniversary set up?  I wanna do one stop shopping and use the same brand for everything to start out.

Tensleep

Quote from: law dawg on March 23, 2006, 06:12:02 PM
Would both of ya'll recommend the Lee Aniversary set up?  I wanna do one stop shopping and use the same brand for everything to start out.

100%
Easiest and least expensive way to start.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist

Arcey

It'll get ya crankin' out ammo and it'll pay for itself by the time you want to move on to something else.

'Sleep ain't ya still usin' the press for odd jobs?

Tensleep

Quote from: Arcey on March 23, 2006, 06:19:29 PM
It'll get ya crankin' out ammo and it'll pay for itself by the time you want to move on to something else.

'Sleep ain't ya still usin' the press for odd jobs?

Yep. sure am. In the multiple press set up that I use for 45s it is the belling/powder charge station.
Use the RC to decap and size, Lee O press to bell/charge and Lee C press to seat and crimp. Lee dies in them all.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist

Hemlock Mike

You're shootin' them backwards ---  Them's hollow points !!!

Just kiddin'...  Good advice from your pards in the above posts.  Really.

Mike

law dawg

Well that's settled if I read the price on the set correctly I can get the whole setup for around 200.00 or so.

Arcey

Mike, you'll never know how many of those things wound up 'accidently' loaded upside down over three grains of Bullseye..........

Dawg.  I'll send ya a PM. 

Micheal Fortune

If you are going to load only one caliber..........

And you only want to spend around $200..........

Mind you I would still save up and by a dillon.................

But if you still want to load just one caliber and you don't want to spend more money, Lee makes progressive loaders for about that amount and less.

I have a Lee loadmaster $213 from www.midwayusa.com  a couple of years ago.....  Mine came with the press, powder measure, dies, everything to load when it arrived.  I just added powder, primers, lead and I did get a Lee factory crimp die.

It's a little touchy and I'm sure I would be better off with a Dillon, but this is what I got and it works for me.

They make a smaller one for around $100
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Tensleep

Mr Fortune, I agree, knowing what I know now I would save for a Dillon Square Deal

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=6&dyn=1&cookieClean=1

But I do think that everyone should learn and start on a single stage press.

The Lee progressives that I and my friends have had are indeed touchy and the priming system leaves MUCH to be desired.
Most have gone the way of the Dodo.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist

law dawg

Well I was looking at Dillon's website and the square deal goes for 309.  It doesn't have a mounting kit or scales or lube, pretty much comes with nothing.  Now I've done business with them before but it comes out to a whole lot when you add the scales and whatnot, so I guess the question is with their pre set dies and powder measure that's supposed to be very accurate do you even need a scale with this setup?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com