two Guns competition

Started by Cyrille, March 20, 2006, 08:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrille

Does anyone think  that SASS would welcome a Two Gun competition? It could be based on the NCOWS "Working Cowboy" contests, with NCOWS permission of course. but with SASS approved shootin irons.
comments anyone? ???
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

RRio

IT has been my experiance, that every time this get brought up, you tend to get excuses and/or flak from most SASS members. I would personnally like to see it.

RRio
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it"  - Capt. Woodrow Call

"Proud citizen of CasCity since 2004." 
NCOWS 2492  SASS 22927   SCORRS     USFACS #28       GAF #267 Dept. of the Platte  AZ        STORM #178

Doc Shapiro

For someone totally ignorant of NCOWS, would you elaborate on what you're asking about?

Doc

Cyrille

Glad to; To the best of my knowledge, this is a one revolver and rifle competition you shoot regular stages with rifle & revolver, no shotgun is involved the distances are  the standard ones already in use. So one would shoot a targets 5 shots for the revolver and possibly as many as 10 with the rifle. I think that this would help get a lot more newcommers into shooting their own gear a lot sooner. I for one know what I'm shooting and where to aim my own shootin irons than having to borrow someone elese's and possibly missing a target or two ajusting to another's equiptment.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Major 2

I agree... I plan to (try to) get a NCOWs Posse in Florida for that very reason.

I'd love to see a Working Cowboy class in SASS for anybody, but it would be particularly attractive for new folks.

when planets align...do the deal !

Doc Shapiro

Ah, thanks.

To be honest, I don't know if there would be interest or not!  A good way to gauge that would be to see if you can get a match director locally to offer it.  If there is interest, you'll find out at local matches.  Then it might catch one. 

The grassroots way is really a good one.

Doc

Mustang Gregg

:o
I dunno why anyone would wanna shoot FEWER guns 'stead of MORE guns.    ???
Heck, we go to matches to shoot as much as we can!
An' I do realize those just startin' out probably don't have all the firearms they need right off.
So they borrow.  We all did. 
If ya make up a new category shootin' fewer guns, how would ya score it against the fellers who just shot all four?

We usta belong to & shoot NCOWS some.  But we NEVER cared to shoot the Working Cowboy Category.

IMNSHO,
Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Camille Eonich

It would be pretty easy to do actually.  Just create the new category and their directions would be to shoot the two guns, rifle and one pistol the same way as everybody else does it.  People in that category would be instructed to always shoot the pistol string of either the first or second pistol.  That would have to be a call made by the match director and everyone in that category would have to do it the same way.

I would NOT allow them to shoot both pistol strings reloading for the second pistol.  Even without shooting the shotgun that could just get into too much time.
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Cyrille

I believe you misunderstand Ms. Eonich, there is only one revolver that is to be shot then the rifle, not two revolvers. a five shot string from the revolver then the ten shot string from the rifle.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Camille Eonich

Cyrille, I understand that but they would be shooting at a SASS match in which all participants in other categories would be shooting two pistols, a rifle and a shotgun.  In order to allow the category that you are talking about and to allow them to shoot at a normal SASS match with other SASS shooters in other categories they would have to shoot the same stages with allowances made for the the guns that they don't shoot.

You can't expect for match directors to write two completely different matches for the different categories and there should be no problem with the two gun category shooting just the two guns on the same stages as long as it was specified before hand which pistol string they would be expected to follow.

Cyrille have you ever been to a CAS match even as a spectator?
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Cyrille

Mr. Gregg:
  Someone just starting out is not likely to have the four guns needed to compete, I, personally have only one revolver and that is likly all I will ever have & although I know that I could borrow the needed shootin irons if I wanted to. But and this is my personal opinion I would much prefer to shoot my own guns than someone else's. for two reasons, 1. I am familure with my equipment. and 2. If someone else's equiptment malfunctions or breaks when I'm using it I would be honor bound to have it repaired and that is a responsability I'd rather not have to worry about.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Cyrille

No ma'am, I have not, right now I'm just a 'cyber' cowboy But I shore would like to attend even if it's just as a spectator
I still think, however that a competition such as NCOWS 'working cowboy' would be a durn good place for "Tenderfeets' to stick that toe inta th water.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Camille Eonich

Once you get to a match and watch a couple of stages you will understand what I was talking about with categories and stage writing a little better.
― Clint Eastwood

Cyrille

I realize SASS is, as I have been told, a 'fantasy' and not strictly a re-enactment of the late 1800s I believe that's NCOWS baliwick; anyway even in a fantasy world, some if not the majorty of "shooters" would have carried only one sidearm and perhaps a rifle or a shotgun in place of a rifle. I don't recall ever seeing a 'horse opera' where a 'cowboy' carried all three or four guns on his person or mode of transportation (horse) but I may be wrong in that assumtion. It is conciveable that a rider could have two sidearms strapped around his waist a rifle in a scabbard hanging from his tack and/or a shotgun but one or the other of the longarms would have to be in his beadroll in back of the saddle or in another scabbard on the opposite side. I just don't believe that a working cowboy would bother with all that paraphnailia plus ammo for the various arms if he were on the move unless he was on the move from one place to another and had all of his 'possibles' with him.
   There is a story titled "One Ranger, One Riot" and this leads me to believe that by and large the usual was "One Cow boy, One Gun" Just my opinion.

Now with that preamble out of the way let me say this: It would be a heck of a lot more economical for a 'beginner' to need only two guns to test the waters, so to speak, and decide whether s/he likes the 'game' enough to continue and then commit to equipting him/herself with the full regaila of needed gear and start out with all the equiptment needed to compete and find that this is not to his/her liking for whatever reason.
   I realize that one can 'borrow' everything needed to particapate but like I said in a previous post there may be some, myself included, that prefer to use their own equiptment because of reasons stated in that previous post. thus their expenditure would not be so great.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Camille Eonich

Cyrille are you reading my posts at all.  I presented a perfectly good way for a match to be held as usual and add a two category.

Who are you trying to argue with and about what?
― Clint Eastwood

Cyrille

Yes ma'am I have read your posts, I can't say whether I agree or not, because I just don't know, have no way of knowing until, as you suggested, I see for myself at a SASS match.
   I am, however, much enamored with the idea of a simple two gun match one sidearm and one rifle and would really like to see it become a SASS reality.
I  would think that a two gun(rife, sidearm) competition would be a whole lot eaiser to set up and score than having to make allowences for stages that were omited What I'm saying is that it could be a whole 'nother catagory, on the order of Dulest, Black powder, etc.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Camille Eonich

When a SASS match is shot all categories shoot together.  They don't have seperate matches for each category.

Which is why I said that the two gun idea could be incoroporated into a normal match with the added provisions.
― Clint Eastwood

Doc Shapiro

Cyrille, get out to a match and see what it's about.  Change is not going to come from someone that doesn't participate or hasn't participated yet.

Change comes at the grassroots level (local club matches) when a club tries something new that works.  Then other clubs pick it up.  Then it ends up on the TG Agenda and gets voted on to become reality (or not).

So get out and participate and see if you can get your local Match Director to introduce what you are looking for.  Then you'll find out if folks are interested in it or not.

Respectfully,
Doc

Cyrille

Ms Eonich
Ma'am I'm not trying to argue with anyone just trying (unsucessfully, it seems) to get my idea in open discussion and perhaps pick up suggestions, [ideas] from others as to how this could be implemented. your input is apprciated and your suggestion(s) practical.
P.S. In answer to your last post:
 I'm beginning to understand; Duelest and P.B. arenot seprate and distinct from the overall contest but are counted as part of the whole and this helps to determind the MVP of the  overall contest.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Cyrille

To Doc Shapiro:
         Thank you Doc. I intend to do just that!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com