A Few Problem With My Walker

Started by deucedaddyj, March 14, 2006, 09:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deucedaddyj

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I broke down and got me a Walker revolver a couple weeks back. I'm not totally sure, but I think it's Uberti, and I got a sweet deal on it. Came with a flask, display case, nipple wrench and a bullet mold with a cavity for conical and a round ball. Great buy overall. But, like always, anything that's that good, can't be that good.

First of all I pulled the hammer back. I don't know if Walkers have a bad rep for heavy main springs, but it was real hard to get it back. I can live with that for now, but I'd like to fix it later. The first real problem was the hammer wouldn't lock in position when I got it all the way back. It would slip back to the half-cock position. This perplexed me a bit, and I found that if I put pressure on the trigger (pushing it forward) the hammer would lock in the full-cock position. As soon as I released pressure, it'd snap back to the half-cock again.

That was the biggest problem, but here's something else I had trouble with. I tried to take it apart to see what the problem could be, I had trouble taking the barrel off to remove the cylinder. I got the wedge and the small screw out, but the barrel won't budge. I tried it without the hammer cocked, and with the hammer at half-cock. It might be just some built on grime keeping it on, so I'm not too worried about it...... yet.

The last thing was, I couldn't get the screw holding the hand spring out. I even tried a little PB penetrating oil, and it wouldn't work.

Any help would be very appreciated. I know I'll probably just have to take it to a competent gunsmith in the end, but if anybody knew anyway to remedy any of these problems, it'd help a bunch. Thanks.

Scattered Thumbs

Quote from: deucedaddyj on March 14, 2006, 09:08:22 AM
That was the biggest problem, but here's something else I had trouble with. I tried to take it apart to see what the problem could be, I had trouble taking the barrel off to remove the cylinder. I got the wedge and the small screw out, but the barrel won't budge. I tried it without the hammer cocked, and with the hammer at half-cock. It might be just some built on grime keeping it on, so I'm not too worried about it...... yet.

Did you try using the bullet ram as a lever? Put it at half-cock, that will leave a space in between chambers in front of the ram, then work the lever as if seatting a bullet. That may work.

Quote from: deucedaddyj on March 14, 2006, 09:08:22 AM
The last thing was, I couldn't get the screw holding the hand spring out. I even tried a little PB penetrating oil, and it wouldn't work.

You may find necessary to get yourself an impact screw driver. I had to get one to get some of the screws out of more then one of my Ubertis.

44caliberkid

As for getting the barrel off, like Scattered Thumbs said, use the loading lever, if you can't push it off with that, wack the lever with a plastic or dead blow hammer, it'll pop off.  Probably just dirt or rust.
  You probably need a new trigger return spring, or carefully bend the old one so it puts more pressure on the trigger.  If you break it, they're cheap.  You also may be the victim of a Bubba trigger job.  Might need the full cock notch welded and recut.
  Hand spring?  Do you mean trigger/bolt spring.  Try heat, propane torch.
   In general, sounds like it may have been poorly cared for previously, good thing it found a good new owner!

litl rooster

Ditto what the other two said about the loading lever.......also the dead blow or good heavy non marring mallet  works. As far as the screws, some wrote in here sometime back about the employee on the night shift that goes around and over torques all the screws on the new guns.  It's true..............
Mathew 5.9

deucedaddyj

Well, thanks for the help guys. I went home last night and attempted to take the barrel off again, but I still couldn't get it!!! I used the deadblow hammer and everything. I was pretty amazed by how bad the barrel was stuck on there. I'm letting it soak in some PB penetrating oil over the day (hopefully it won't ruin the finish, but at this point I really don't care anymore. I just want to fix it) and when I get home I'll hope that it's loosened up enough.

By the way, 44caiberkid, you were right, I meant the trigger/bolt spring. Sometimes my hands don't type exactly what I'm thinking.  ::)

I'll give another report tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be more successful than this one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com