Hunting with the Spencer

Started by Barbarossa, March 13, 2006, 11:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbarossa

Hi
If you were going to buy a spencer for hunting with , which would you buy a carbine or a rifle.Also with the rifle being larger than the carbine is it more awkward to use than the carbine.

Thanks
                                                                                    Jeff

Two Flints

Hi Barbarossa,

I have been using my Spencer carbine (.45 Schofield) for hunting coyote in the woods of Northern Maine.  Previously, I used a 42" barrel flintlock rifle for all of my hunting. The shorter Spencer really makes a difference when going through brush and low growing trees.  The .45 Schofield round has been more than I need for coyote.  That's about the only animal I hunt now.  But, you must be considering the 56-50 or the 44-40, I think is the other cartridge available in the Spencer rifle.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Barbarossa

Hi
Was originally thinking on getting one in 44/40 but believe the 56/50
would be a better killer on deer sized animals.

Jeff

Oregon Bill

Barbarossa: I have the carbine in .56-50. Only modification needed to make it a fine hunting rifle to 100 yards is better sights (at least for my 52-year-old eyes).It is accurate and handy, but surprisingly heavy and I would think the rifle version might be too much of a good thing. I would not hesitate to use the Spencer in .56-50 on anything from rabbits to deer and hogs.

Harve Curry

I use my m-1865 carbine 56-50 for coyotes. I have used it to put down two injured wild steers that weighed 400 pounds each, one shot was all that was needed for either one.
I carried it for a late cow elk hunt this winter but didn't find any elk to try it on.
I put in for Oryx, if i get drawn it will be me, Spencer, and the oryx. They weigh about 400 lbs.
I think for hunting the 56-50 is the best choice, it's versatile and accurate.
To have enough power left I will limit myself to 75 yards and work for 50 yard shots. If I get lucky I'll post it here.

Backstrap Bill

I have to vote with the 56-50 guys.  I bought the 56-50 carbine expressly to use for whitetail hunting.  Better sights are a definite.  I put a full buckhorn on mine.  Love it.

I am going to remove the top half of the front sight & mill a slot in the base, on the long axis.  Mounted in the slot will be a blade made from a silver dime & pinned.  Will have 2 blades, one for a 100 yard zero using my hunting load  & 1 zeroed for 50 yards using my light cowboy load.

Good luck to you with your Spencer.

Two Flints, some fall, you might encourage people to post pictures of hunting successes.
Ain't got to where I'm going, but I'm past where I been.

Two Flints

;D ;D  Backstrap.

Your the first person I'm inviting to post hunting pictures, hope you won't forget, but I'll remember to invite you again ::) ::)

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Dakota Widowmaker

The only problem with hunting with the Spencer in 56-50 is that some state have a minimum case length. (MN does... its 1.285")

I showed a couple of MN DNR officers what they thought... in their opnion, since its such a brutally large caliber and is still going super sonic from the barrel, they would not have any problems with me using it for deer this next season. (even though the cartridge case is not long enough in MN... 1.15" vs 1.285")

The 56-50 does exceed the 1000 ft-lbs of force required in other states. (Colorado has this requirement)

When loaded propperly. 45gr of 777 and a 350gr bullet will EASILY take out most any North American game...

My cut down Lee molds have a very nice wide meplat that cuts very good sized holes in whatever they hit.

Some states require the use of hollow points. In those cases, I have heard of cast bullet shooters driving a small dent into the front of the bullet.

Since its 50cal, soft lead and sub 1300fps would be the end of the road for whatever is in range.(100yds or less is what I would focus on)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com