shotgun chokes

Started by blue drifter, March 11, 2006, 03:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue drifter

I know nothing about chokes, maybe someone out there can help me.  I would appreciate it! I have a Bakial 220 that came equipped with 2 chokes. I want to know if I can use these chokes in any other shotgun or do they need threads or do all shotguns come with threads? Will the Bakial threads just screw into my winchester 97? I haven't tried this yet because I have not yet receivced my 97 yet, guess you'd call it thinking ahead.  Thank you in advance. ??? ???
semper fi, dav, blue drifter

Lars

Screw-in chokes are a rather recent invention and only became common in recent decades. There are several makers of screw-in chokes. Typically each has slightly different dimensions and threads, so, they are not always interchangable, although some are.

Before screw-in chokes we all got along really well with fixed chokes, that is, the chokes were and intergal part of the end of shotgun barrels. Your Winchester 97 originally had fixed chokes and still does, unless some one had screw-in chokes added.

Lars

blue drifter

Quote from: Lars on March 13, 2006, 08:30:06 AM
Screw-in chokes are a rather recent invention and only became common in recent decades. There are several makers of screw-in chokes. Typically each has slightly different dimensions and threads, so, they are not always interchangable, although some are.

Before screw-in chokes we all got along really well with fixed chokes, that is, the chokes were and intergal part of the end of shotgun barrels. Your Winchester 97 originally had fixed chokes and still does, unless some one had screw-in chokes added.

Lars
thanks lars
semper fi, dav, blue drifter

Howdy Doody

I love shooting the Baikal. I shoot mine with both chokes that are IMP/MOD. I got my best pattern with them and have no problem with knockdowns or anything. I do however shoot BP, but always with a plastic wad. Colonial makes all kinds of chokes for the Baikal. I like mine choked the same for both sides. Pattern yours on a big piece of cardboard and you can get a record of your pattern. :)

I doubt the chokes will fit your other guns. Take them to a gunsmith with a thread gauge or you will mess up the threads.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Marauder

The Baikel does use one of the standard choke systems so it MAY fit some other guns.  I wish I remembered which one, though....

I think it is the win-choke.

As Howdy says, your gunsmith should be able to tell you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com