Question about shooting Classic Cowboy

Started by law dawg, February 04, 2006, 01:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

law dawg

Howdy all, I've got a quick question for you.  Since the c.c. category requires you to shoot duelist I'm wondering since I'm right handed and shoot with that hand when I reholster the right pistol can I draw the left gun with my left hand and transfer or do I have to do everything with the right hand.  Might be a dumb question but it plays a big part of what holster rig I'll go with.

Wrangler Rich

You can do that, a lot of shooters will do as many short-cuts for their transitions as possible.  The rule states that only "Gunfighters" may have 2 loaded guns out at a time. (Since one has been shot dry, it is no longer a loaded gun)   I think that will soon be changed to allow the "B Western" catagory to do that (Shoot Gunfighter) soon.  Maybe "Winter Range" now that EOT is later in the year.

Your move will eliminate doing the "Cross Draw Dance" too.
Hiram's Ranger # 10
It's not like it used to be, but it'll do.

hellgate

Lawdog,
I shoot Frontiersman which is also a duelist category. You can also have the crossdraw holster as is but draw it first, then after it is shot dry you grab the revolver with the left hand over the topstrab (topstrap against the web of your hand and fingertips holding the frame/barrel etc.) turn it and reholster it into the left holster as you are drawing the right sided gun. You do the transfer about halfway out from your body. i.e. you hand off the gun to the left hand as you proceed to draw the right  gun. You just have to reach over the top of the gun and grab it with the left hand for holstering. After yu do it a few times you can see how it shaves a second or two from your time. That's not a lot to most folks but I've had a few annual shoots or state championships where the winner (me) was only about 5 sec faster than the 2nd best. For some of the real quick ones 1-2 sec is an eternity.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

litl rooster

Quote from: law dawg on February 04, 2006, 01:10:19 PM
Howdy all, I've got a quick question for you.  Since the c.c. category requires you to shoot duelist I'm wondering since I'm right handed and shoot with that hand when I reholster the right pistol can I draw the left gun with my left hand and transfer or do I have to do everything with the right hand.  Might be a dumb question but it plays a big part of what holster rig I'll go with.

As this is written maybe I am miss understanding.. Duelist.........One gun shot from 1 hand, then holstered and second gun from other. Un assisted by off hands. Shooting both from same hand would be concidered Tradional?  Hellgate's advise on transition is good, and it does work. I am just rying to clarify the the category.
Mathew 5.9

Wrangler Rich

Litl Rooster,

I hope I can clear up some confusion for ya and not add to it. ;) :D

A duelist shooter shoots his revolver with one hand unassisted by the other hand.
A double duelist shooter shoots his first revolver with one hand unassisted by the other, and his second revolver with his other hand unassisted by his first hand.
A traditional shooter is the more modern type of shooting where the revolver is supported by both hands while shooting.  He may cock the hammer with the off hand or the strong hand at his choosing.

All these shooters can draw the second revolver immediatly after shooting all the rounds in the first revolver with the second hand while holstering with the first hand.

Gunfighters draw and shoot both revolvers at the same time.  (Soon to be added to the B Western catagory.)
Hiram's Ranger # 10

litl rooster

Okay now I understand. I think.................Duelist can shoot both guns same hand unassisted and double duelist both hands unassisted. Thanks...I have issuses with my right hand in cocking but can shoot unassisted with my left hand. This has been helpful
Mathew 5.9

Wrangler Rich

Hiram's Ranger # 10

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com