Author Topic: Liberty 8 Revolver!  (Read 8873 times)

Offline D. R. Greysun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Liberty 8 Revolver!
« on: February 01, 2006, 01:06:32 AM »
Google has never heard of it, have you? A little help here if you please:

http://www.frontierspot.org/viewtopic.php?t=515

Thanx,
D R

"Keep'm on the Steel"

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Liberty 8 Revolver!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 12:27:20 PM »
DR:

I believe that the Herbert Schmidt (the correct spelling - so, if you are searching under "Schmiut" that may explain your inability to come up with anything) small-frame .22 revolvers were marketed under a variety of "trade names" by various importers (who could likely get them marked with their own choice of name).  Here is a link to the Gumparts/Numrich parts list on them - note that they just call it the Herbert Schmidt "Small Frame" ...
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1460zSMALL%20FRAME

Some of the more common model names they were marketed under were "Bison", "Buffalo Frontier" and "Buffalo Scout", which would likely explain the logo on the grip panels ....

This link will take you to a PDF-format listing of NCIC gun model/maker code list:
acjic.state.al.us/documents/ncic/gun.pdf
Although the brand names I mentioned all appear on it, "Liberty 8" doesn't, which would certainly indicate that it was not a very common name applied to this revolver - maybe it was even a name used elsewhere than the US ....
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline D. R. Greysun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 11:26:49 PM »
Jack my Friend, I wish I could shake your hand and buy a round.  You are so right it is 'Herbert Schmidt'!  Would you believe Numrick has the grips and space in stock?  They do and I should have them in about a week.  I can't thank you enough.  You can see the reason for my confusion about the spelling:

Thanx again Pard!

D R

"Keep'm on the Steel"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:39:15 PM »

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 11:41:29 AM »
More than welcome, DR!

I can definitely see the reason for your belief that it was "Schmiut".   (I thought that there must have been a poor or partial strike of the "D" - though I assumed that it was likely on a rounded surface, such as the barrel.  I'm sure that the fact it is actually on a flat surface would make a person even less likely to think of a partial strike ....)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com