New Spencer Book by a SSS Member

Started by Two Flints, January 27, 2006, 01:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Flints

Hi,

Received the following message from Border Hawk over at the SASS Wire and thought I would pass it along to my fellow SSS members:

"Have you seen this new book by Joe Bilby about the Spencer,Henry,Volcanic, and other early repeaters? I just picked up a copy and it is a fascinating read.If anyone enjoys these weapons, this wonderfully written book will be a rewarding addition to your library.It is a painstakingly researched volume,very easy to digest."  Seems to be available at Amazon.com.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Tuolumne Lawman

Great tip,

Thanks, just went and bought one at Amazon.  Great price, too.  I have all of Joe's online articles too.  SOme of my favorite reading<g>!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Arizona Trooper

I recently got a copy too. Great read! There is a lot of excellent information on Spencer use in the Late Unpleasantness, especially Wilder's Lightning Brigade and other western units. Also good information on the 5th and 6th Mich. under Custer's command. Joe demonstrates where repeaters may have changed things (Chichamauga), and where they didn't help at all (Trevilian Station). Joe's done a lot of great research.

Fox Creek Kid

My question is this: is there any new & pertinent info or just "rehash" like so many other new gun books? I bought the Wiley Sword Henry book & thought is was a bust as everything in it was already written about in other books. Are there any new photos recently discovered?

Oregon Bill

Got my copy from Joe, autographed. It really is more about a long view of tactics in human history and culminating in the Civil War, so if you are after a book about the Spencer, this might not be for you. But I am sure glad I have my copy. Joe is a regular fella.

Steel-eye Steve

Joe did an excellent job. The book discusses tactical employment of the Spencer and Henry. As Arizona Trooper mentions, you learn where repeaters worked and where they didn't. If your interested in learning the evolution of Civil War repeater tactics, A Revolution in Arms is the great book to read.
www.1stwisconsincav.org

"We'll hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree."

Rattler

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on January 27, 2006, 08:10:23 PM
My question is this: is there any new & pertinent info or just "rehash" like so many other new gun books? I bought the Wiley Sword Henry book & thought is was a bust as everything in it was already written about in other books. Are there any new photos recently discovered?
Nope.No rehash here.Joe is an accomplished researcher and writer.He is a very active NSSA shooter and frequently contributes articles about Civil War arms and equipment.
The book is a wonderful read and Joe's writing style is concise but very conversational in nature and reminds me of folks sitting around the campfire and having a friendly discussion.Its tough to put down actually,and I enjoy re-reading favorite parts.The account of the 34th Virginia at Rummel's Farm during the Gettysburg battle is very stirring indeed!
If you like Spencers,Henrys,and the history of 19th century weaponry,blended into a fine presentation,then this is the book for you.
                  Regards,
                          R

Two Flints

;D ;D Rattler, thanks for the reply on Joe's book.  Now, consider joining SSS ;D ;D ;D

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Snapshot

I know of Joe, we`ve been on some Muzzleloader lists together for a few years.  There was the intention to get he`s book trough some friends in Arkansas that where going to the Alafia Rendezvous in Florida in January, that did not happend so I ordered the book from amazon.com.... I have heard lots of good thing about the authour and this spesific book, so now I just have to wait for the package to arrive from amazon.com........ As it falls in to the center of my interests, I am sure it will be an exelent reed...!
Honour is like a an island, steep and without a shore.
Once you leave you can newer return.!

General Johan Von Ewald, Danish/Norwegian Army Until 1813

Tuolumne Lawman

Howdy to the camp!

Awesome book!  Got it just before a plane trip to MO and ILL, and got about 2/3s done.  Can't wait to finish it.  DEFINITELY NOT A RE-HASH!!!!!!!  Very insightful.. Great job Joe.  I will post something on the Henry owners list, too!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Cannon Fodder

I agree with everyone . Great book!  I dont have a spencer yet but he also does a great job on the henry.  I will shoot my henry with gusto this weekend at the battle of Aiken(SC).

best

cannon fodder

Snapshot

Now that I have read more than half the book, I can say it is a great book. Exelent job done by Joe Bilby.

Two Flints

Snapshot,

Do you have the Marcot book, Spencer Repeating Firearms, also a great read!

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Snapshot

No I do not have the Marcot book, do you have a good source or a sugestion where to get it?
I could probably get trough Amazon.com..??

Two Flints

Yup,

Amazon is your best bet.  Click on buying options and find a book seller with the lowest price AND WHO WILL ship overseas.  The Marcot book has a strong section on Blakeslee Cartridge Cases, too.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk