It appears 56-50 could be SASS approved!

Started by The Yankee Bandit, January 24, 2006, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yankee Bandit

According to a post on the Wire, it looks as if the 56-50 is could approved as a main match rifle caliber with the new modification covenant.

The starting post says:

"Bottom of page 7 where it talks about main match rifle calibers after reciting the usual pistol-caliber language it adds: "The only allowed exceptions are the .25-20 and .56-50." Interesting."

I assume the new mods proposal must be approved.  But this is encouraging news.

Here is the post:

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27498

Two Flints

Hi Y.B.,

I read that post and invited members of CAS to come on over and check out SSS. The approval of 56-50 is looking good.  Another link to the SASS Firearms Covenants  1-12-06:

http://www.coalcreekcowboys.com/pdf%20files/SASSFirearmsRules_01_13_2006.pdf

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

RattlesnakeJack

Is any judicious "lobbying" by the SSS needed to ensure this provision doesn't somehow end up getting turfed, d'ya think?
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Black River Smith

A similar argument/discussion was had over at NCOWS last year March to June with final ruling Nov '05 or Feb '06.  The interim decision was to leave it up to the individual clubs and to allow it at the 2005 Nationals only.

I find it totally interesting that SASS had enough knowledge, understanding and forsight to make the exception for this caliber, FIRST(shouting at NCOWS here, sorry to the rest of you).  NCOWS mainly based their conclusions on the facts and decisions of SASS about only pistol calibers on steel targets.  (Lot of debate on the destructive power of that ~350 gr bullet.)

Congratulations to SASS and their open-minded decision makers.  Maybe now NCOWS will follow along.

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

Tuolumne Lawman

Yahoo!

I can see it now!  Me standing on the firing line at a match with my long and beautiful Spencer Infantry rifle in my hands, saber at my side, blowing smoke!  Better than playing cowboys and indians as a kids <ggggggg>
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Two Flints

Hi,

But, it seems that while allowing  ;D ;D ;D the 56-50 Spencer to become a main match gun, the Spencer pump shotgun has been banned. >:(

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Tuolumne Lawman

Hmmmm.

They also precluded 1898 marlin pumps, too?  Go figure....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Ed Clintwood

Does anyone know WHEN approval might come?

French Jack

Having no dogs in the fight about the shotgun decisions, I can only say that I do agree on the Marlins, I have owned one, and they are not the most durable or safest shotgun out there.  The Spencers are a different matter, however the ones put together by Bannerman and sold after Spencer went under, are pretty spotty in quality.  I would think long and hard about shooting one of the ones assembled from left over parts by Bannerman. 
French Jack

Ed Clintwood

Since it appears that the Spencer will become a main match gun, how are y'all planning to load 10 rounds? I figure 7+1+1+1 unless you can load 7, leave the action open and as you get ready, load the eighth in the breach then single load the last two.

Two Flints

I think Tuolumne Lawman mentions the single loading procedure in his most recent article in the Cowboy Chronicle, on the Taylor 56-50 Spencer.  A more detailed way of doing this would be useful ::) ::) ::) ::) 

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Tuolumne Lawman

Howdy,

I have used the 56-50 Taylor's several times as a main match rifle, and have done both 7 +3 in the tube, and 7+1+1+1.  With the Lane extractor, the 56-50s and 44-40s are much easier to single load than the .44 Russians and 45 Schofields with their dual blades.  No timing issues.

They are slow, but man they give style points!!!!!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Ed Clintwood

Tuolumne Lawman,

Which do you find faster?  If I could find a two or three hole Blakelee (sp) Box, that could be cool too (if it didn't break the bank)

Two Flints

This may be more weight than you're willing to carry. I don't know anything about this Blakeslee, just that the price seems very good to me.  I've considered buying one.  This is what they say about it:

SPENCER REPEATING RIFLE CARTRIDGE BOX & SLING
Every once and a while you see a reproduction that makes you step back and look again. This cartridge box is one of those reproductions. It looks great! If you own a Spencer you have probably already looked around for one of these. Can you believe some companies are asking $200.00 each, American, not pesos! I'll put the "BlockadeRunner.com" box up against theirs any day. Stitch for stitch I think ours may be a little better.
The photo shows the box resting on it's top to expose the 6 tubes. It has an implement pouch just like the original and the sling is included, not an extra added expense. And yes it does have the belt loop on the back. The box measures 13 inches long and approx. 2 x 3 inches wide. The leather, the stitching and the hardware are all first rate. I think you'll agree. But the best part may be the price. Only 99.95 # 2196

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

French Jack

The weight is what beats you up.  A 6 tube model holds 42 rounds, and weighs in the neighborhood of 4 + lbs., the ten and 13 tube versions weigh in the neighborhood of ten ++ lbs. loaded.  Quite a chunk of gear to be slapping around on your side-- your ribs get sore.  Unless you are mounted on horseback, the box tends to keep you listing to the left.  A much better solution is to use a belt pouch, both 20 rounds as per the original issue, or ten rounds per the civilian model.  These used a block of wood with a dual line of holes enclosed in leather to carry the ammo.  I found them to work really well.
French Jack

Tuolumne Lawman

What I use in main matches is a Civil War Cavalry Carbine pouch with no block in it.  Holds 30-35 rounds loose.  I usually load at the table, then put only ten or so in the pouch, worn on the right side, on my saber belt just behind my reverse draw "Gaylord" pattern flap holster.  When I am in civilian attire, I have a web prarie belt with 50 cal loops.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Steel-eye Steve

Quote from: Tuolumne Lawman on January 31, 2006, 07:10:27 PM
What I use in main matches is a Civil War Cavalry Carbine pouch with no block in it.  Holds 30-35 rounds loose.  I usually load at the table, then put only ten or so in the pouch, worn on the right side, on my saber belt just behind my reverse draw "Gaylord" pattern flap holster.  When I am in civilian attire, I have a web prarie belt with 50 cal loops.

I use a small tube holding three rounds in a Dyer pouch on my gun belt. Yes, Blakeslee boxes are awkward, especially when mounted. They do however, allow for quick reloads. I use six tuber for my late war impression. Is the blockade runner box one of the Pakistani made ones? I think S&S was also selling them. For CAS work, I'm sure they will hold up fine, but if you want to use them for mounted reenacting, I would reinforce some of the stitching.
www.1stwisconsincav.org

"We'll hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree."

geo

in the nssa repeater relays you get to load the spencer with one in the chamber and the seven in the magazine. you hold two between the fingers of your left hand (quigley style). when the eight are fired you single load and fire the remaining two. no way you're going to compete with a henry for time. but that's not the point. spencers's are their own reward. good luck, geo.

Tuolumne Lawman

The S&S ones are JUNK.  Got one and sent it back ASAP!  I heard the Blockade Runner ones were US made?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Dakota Widowmaker

I am going to have to get out my leather tools and make a cartridge box and a 7 shot slide on cartridge holder.

Just remember, STYLE POINTS COUNT!!! (well, not as far as winning, but at least with other folks on your posse)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com