NCOWS monthly shoots "near" Madison, WI??

Started by Lars, January 23, 2006, 05:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lars

Hello!!

It currently looks rather certain that Stina and I will be in Spring Green, WI, about 45 miles west of Madison, WI on highway 14, for all or nearly all of May and June 2006. Naturally, we would like to participate in NCOWS shoot, maybe even two, while we are "out east".

HOWEVER, I can find almost no NCOWS clubs within less than about 2,5-3,0 hour drive from Spring Green -- not in WI, not in IA, not in Il. The NCOWS webbsite has map with some apparently closer but actual posse listings do not verify that. Something around Dubuque, IA would seem workable. I am aware of Hickory Hills Regulators, shot with them last year, and Will Ketchem will keep me informed about any shoots they may have this year.

We likely have the additional limitation of Sunday shoots only because currently Saturday is work day.

Thanks for any information,
Lars

Finagler

Hey Lars:

How have you been?   Long time, eh?  You have guessed it pretty well.  The nearest NCOWS range with a regularly scheduled shoot is in Ackley, a good 2.5 hours from Spring Green.   If Wil Ketchum can put together a shoot, I'd love to tag along and participate.

I'm just over the hill from SG in Reedsburg.  Maybe we can get the ladies together and go out for a Friday fish fry.  Get Wil Ketchum, Joanie, Mike and Ingrid to come along as well.  I know a number of good places for fish in the area.  Give me a shout when you know what your plans will be.

I've been talking to a shooter from SG that teaches in Reedsburg.  He has been talking to the SG outdoor club about starting some cowboy shoots but the board isn't real receptive at least not at this point.   I've looked at the Reedsburg Outdoor Club and it is dedicated to trap and bow.  Their directors don't have any interests but I need to talk to a couple more to get a better read on things.   It would be great to have a facility to shoot at that would be mid-way between Milwaukee and LaCrosse.  As it is now, there isn't anything.  There are quite a few shooters in the area, just not a facility that jumps out and says cowboy friendly.   It isn't NCOWS but there is always the Western Wisconsin Wild Bunch in Holmen.  It too would be a 2 hour drive but at least you would get to shoot.

Lars

Hej Finangler!!

Good to hear from you!! Will be contacting you once we know more of our plans -- getting together for a fish fry sounds great!!

I will likely try to make it to one of the WWB CAS shoots one of the months we are in SG, even though Saturdays are expected to be a problem, being reqular work days.

I am sure Will Ketchum will welcome still another shooters at any NCOWS shoot they manage to have this summer.

I will have to take a closer look at Ackley, IA -- thought it was further than 2,5 hours from SG.

Trap clubs can be a real hard sell for CAS. The biggest CAS club locally just had its last shoot at a trap club that dates from about WW2 -- they got "kicked out", a consequesce that has been developing for years. Trap and skeet and sporting clays clubs seem to quite often have a low opinion of CAS shooters, maybe it is all of those shotgun barrels the CAS folks sawed off, maybe it is just that CAS is viewed as a "new, scrawny, bucktoothed, missguided kid in cowboy boots and hat" on the block. Certainly, CAS is low bucks, low population shooting sport by comparison.

I would like to contact that local trap club and maybe shoot a few rounds on Sundays or Mondays (our days off). I am trying to get the necessary decreped old body parts back to where I can shoot a few rounds of trap and not be crippled for the next week or two. Sure would be nice!!

Look forward to getting together this spring-summer!!

Thanks for responding!! I was begining to wonder if I had a "dry hole".
Lars

Pukin Dog

Hey,
Throw me in the pot to shoot and go out to a Fish dinner!  I think Silver Creek Slim has finally twisted my arm enough to join NCOWS and I know Will Ketchum thinks its far past the time I did it.  I just needed enough time to get all my stuff together! ;D

I can't stand to go over to the SASS Wire anymore, just nothing but gamer crap and whining about everything and nothing.  The only reason I keep my SASS membership is that I would hate to lose my wonderful and desireable alias ;D ;D
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

Lars

Hej Pukin Dog!!!

With you and me and Finagler and Will Ketchem and Mike and the ladies we would have enough shooters for a posse. Now iffen Will and Mike and maybe Finagler can find us a place to shoot we could do this up real well. Make it your NCOWS initiation shoot.

Sure hope this works out!!
Lars

Finagler

Lars:

Where are you?  May is gone and June is going fast.   There is a NCOWS format shoot this Sunday at Holmen.  I don't know if I'm a foot or horseback but I wanted to let you know.

Finagler

Kayleen

Lars,
I got your message a couple weeks ago and I look forward to having you shoot with us at GAF.
PM me your e-mail. I couldn't get  the Open Range forum thing to work for me.
Kayleen

Will Ketchum

Lars left this forum some time ago after a heated dispute with another member.  I have his e-mail if you like.  Just send me a PM and I'll give it to you.

I believe Lars plans to be at Holmen this weekend.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com