Movie Henry's

Started by Major 2, January 20, 2006, 09:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt250

this isn't about movie henrys. but in the 1970's i was a long haul truck driver. there was a resterant in ludlow , calif. that i used to eat at. it was a a-frame  building and on the back wall ther was a circiel of henry's. there must have been at least 20 of them. they were all real. i wounder what ever happened to them. there would be worth at least 400,000 or 500,000 dallars worth by todays standards. i can't remember the name of the resterant. but i sure do remember the henry's. anyone ever hear of it or remember it? kurt250

Henry4440

Yesterday i got my new DVD:
HBO's  'Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee'.
The Indians had  Henrys, '66 and '73.

and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFqbyvgAkPY&feature=related

;)

Trinity

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  I don't have HBO, therefore missed out on that, but it's now in my Netflix lineup. ;D

Quote from: Driftwood Johnson on February 25, 2008, 03:52:39 PM
Howdy Boys

I've posted this before, but I think I'll mention it again. The Man From Laramie, with James Stewart was on again a couple of nights ago. I made a point to watch the scene where the old lady rancher fires a shot from her wagon. She is holding a real Henry. I don't know if she actually fired it, that could have been off scene, but I got a real good look at the rifle, and there is no question it was a real Henry. Barrel and magazine all made from one bar of steel, no Hollywood Henry this time. Real nice patina on the brass frame. And she even rolled it over so I could plainly see the underside of the carrier and the slot up the bottom of the magazine. Forgot to look and see what the postion of the follower was, though. Maybe next time. Might even be worth investing in the DVD.

Would you be referring to these?  You can't see very clearly in this picture, but it looks like the gun's empty. ;D

Click to enlarge

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Driftwood Johnson

Yes! That is the scene! Thanks for posting the photos!

That ain't no Hollywood Henry, and Uberti was not making Henrys yet when the movie was made in 1955. You can even see the front of the rifle is correct. Too bad she doesn't understand how to operate the lever.

It appears the tab of the follower is just in front of her left hand, but I could be mistaken.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Trinity

I thought that at first, but I think it may be the visible part of a sling clip on the opposite side of the rifle.  I'm not really sure, but it looks like the follower tab is up against the receiver, in unloaded mode.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Driftwood Johnson

I think you may be correct. It does look like I can see sky through what I thought to be the follower tab. It also makes more 'movie sense'. You never see the Henry fired. Just the impact of a 'bullet' on a fence, then the view switches to the lady in the wagon. This makes more sense if the fence hit was a movie squib and the Henry was never loaded.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Henry4440

Liam Neeson use a Iron Frame Henry Rifle in 'Seraphim Falls'.

First one i saw in a movie.
;)

Ransom Gaer

Trinity,

If you look at the bottom picture you posted you can clearly see the follower up against the receiver.  It looks like the first picture, but is a little larger when opened and you can see the follower up against the receiver.

Same with Neeson's iron frame.  The follower is in the usual place, against the receiver.  I think we pay too much attention to these little details and I'm just as bad. ::)

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Henry4440

Quote from: Ransom Gaer on May 08, 2008, 07:08:50 PM
I think we pay too much attention to these little details and I'm just as bad. ::)

Ransom Gaer

Here is a pic from 'The Hayfield Movie'. And what did i see.A loaded Henry. ;D

The same in Tom Selleck's ' Last Stand At Saber River'.
;)

Ransom Gaer

About time there's a loaded Henry in a movie. ;D

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Jrw8214

Gus and Call's Henry's were loaded in Lonesome Dove, and Call's was loaded in Streets of Laredo

Driftwood Johnson

Yeah, but those are modern brass cased centerfire rounds.

Or am I paying too much attention to details?

Jrw8214

Sorry, i couldnt tell from the previous posted pictures and from Last Stand At Saber River that those werent centerfire rounds. Maybe i didnt look hard enough.

Fox Creek Kid

QuoteOr am I paying too much attention to details?

Naw, only if you notice the ejection port being larger on the repros are you being overly attentive.  ;D :D ;)

Driftwood Johnson

QuoteSorry, i couldnt tell from the previous posted pictures and from Last Stand At Saber River that those werent centerfire rounds. Maybe i didnt look hard enough.

Those rounds have brass cases. You can see how yellow they are. The original 44 Henry Rimfire round had a copper case, not brass. The short copper cased round third from the right in this photo is a 44 Henry Rimfire round. Yes, I admitted I was paying too much attention to details.

Jrw8214

Oh i see now. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Im a huge Henry fan, but ive yet to shoot one, be it repro or original. How does the .44 Henry compare to the .45 Colt?

Driftwood Johnson

QuoteIm a huge Henry fan, but ive yet to shoot one, be it repro or original. How does the .44 Henry compare to the .45 Colt?

Howdy Again

You would be pretty lucky to have shot an original Henry. They are very valuable and the ammo is not manufactured anymore.

That photo tells the whole story. The cartridge all the way to the right is a 45 Colt. The size is a dead giveaway. The 44 Henry only held around 26-28 grains of Black Powder and the bullet weighed 200-220 grains. The 45 Colt held a maximum of around 37-38 grains of powder and the bullet weighed 250 grains. The cartridge all the way on the left is a 44-40, the successor to the anemic 44 Henry round. It carried a 200 grain bullet, but it contained 40 grains of powder.

Left to right in the photo the cartridges are 44-40, 44 Special, 44 Russian, 44 S&W American, 44 Henry, 45 Schofield, and 45 Colt. With Black Powder cartridges, you pretty much got what you saw. The bigger they were, the more powder they could hold.

Tuolumne Lawman

Quote from: Jrw8214 on May 10, 2008, 06:29:00 PM
Oh i see now. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Im a huge Henry fan, but ive yet to shoot one, be it repro or original. How does the .44 Henry compare to the .45 Colt?

I duplicate the original 44 Henry round for the Uberti Henry with the 45 Schofield case, a 200 grain bullet and 28 grains Black Powder.  Can't get closer than that.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Henry4440

In 'The Sacketts' you can see some ' Movie Henry's'.

;)

Trinity

Is that a brass framed '73 on top or painted?... and a loading gate in the bottom one? :o :o

Might have to go back and watch that one again.  The movie wasn't all that bad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com