Movie Henry's

Started by Major 2, January 20, 2006, 09:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy tornado

The Long Riders

Stacy K. aka Frank James uses a steel frame Henry with loading gate.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Tornado;   Sounds like a '73 with the wood stripped off.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Tommy tornado

I believe that you are correct, Sir.  But then again we are talking about Movie Henry's and there are a lot of Hollyfake in Westerns.
# 356056

Tommy tornado

In War Wagon, John Wayne states that the wagon is guarded by men with Henry Repeating Rifles.
# 356056

Tuolumne Lawman

Into the west had some in the Lawrence Kansas scene.

Also, there was a series of "Desperado" movies with a hero named Call(?) had a henry in all four.

If I remember, in SIlverado, Glover had a 66 without a forestock, and his dad's was a Henry.

In "Lonesome Dove; Streets of Laredo"  James Garner  (Woodrow) uses a Henry.

In one of the later James Arness movies (in the post-Gunsmoke era), Arness also uses a Henry.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

B. Butch Cavendish

It was Duell Mcall in Desporodo. He was packed, had a henry, a winchester 1887 shotun, a Walker conversion. a colt thunder in a shoulder holster and a boot kife. Add to that the oilskin duster and chaps he wore I bet he was  glad when the show was over.
Butch Cavendish was the first lone Ranger bad guy. Arizona Rangers, Sons of confederate veterans, William Clarke Quantrill Society. Outlaw, lawdog, merchant, mercenary, Preacher. "Too mean to forgive, Too mad to forget."

Steel-eye Steve

In Major Dundee, the cavalrymen were all equipped with Hollywood Henrys
www.1stwisconsincav.org

"We'll hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree."

Driftwood Johnson

In 'The Man From Laramie', in the scene where the neighboring ranch lady fires a shot from her buckboard to stop the fight between Jimmy Stewart and the bad rich young cowboy, she shoots a real Henry. I looked real close, and Uberti wasn't making them back then.

But my favorite is in Winchester'73, when Dutch Henry Brown curses the underpowered 'Henry' he has just used to shoot the gun runner. He fires a shot from the top of a cliff, and then he claims 'these old Henrys take too long to kill', or something like that. He doesn't realize he has just shot a dead man, and it took a second for the impact to knock him over. But it is really a '73 he is shooting. And to make matters worse, to show his disgust, he throws the '73 off the cliff. AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! A real '73 and he threw it off a cliff! I wonder if it's still there? The movie makers probably didn't value them enough to pick them up again.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Highlander999

First off, HIGH CHAPARRAL was the first time I had seen a "Movie Henry".  Old Buck Canon picks up one of the fixed up '92's and says, boys this is that rifle you can load on Sunday and shoot all week long. 

I hadn't even noticed that Ryker had a Henry in SHANE, and I look at guns closely.  Glad to know that I am going home tonight and run that scene.

But, the first year of BONANZA, really the only one that I find interesting, all of the guys carry real period guns.  Adam carries an 1860 Colt Army Conversion, Joe carries an 1851 Navy (and is seen in one scene changing cylinders), Hoss a 1958 Remington Conversion, and I don't recall what Ben carried.  BUT, Hoss Carried a Real Henry in more than one episode that year.  Plus he wore his pants tucked in his boots, and that was probably more period correct than all of the others.

Great thread.
"I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch" ("Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor", Earl of Montrose), "What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good"
                     (Rob Roy)

Lucky Deuce

Since I have been in CAS I find myself being more critical of the guns that are used.  I can remember when I was young watching Civil War movies where the soldiers were using lever action rifles and Colts and not thinking anything about it.  Now I have more fun trying to critique the guns. 

How many of you have watched someone shooting a "Henry" and the follower is down by the frame and there is a loading gate.  I just shake my head and sigh...  I must admit, it seems like Hollywierd is actually trying to be more authentic..not sure if its the fans raising heck or what..

Here is a website that has movie prop guns...there is a Henry for sale...similar to the one in Dances with Wolves, Pale Rider and True grit...

http://www.hollywoodpropsupply.com/NewRifles.html

Major 2

Quote from: Lucky Deuce on March 27, 2006, 11:48:58 AM
  Since I have been in CAS I find myself being more critical of the guns that are used.  I can remember when I was young watching Civil War movies where the soldiers were using lever action rifles and Colts and not thinking anything about it.  Now I have more fun trying to critique the guns. 

How many of you have watched someone shooting a "Henry" and the follower is down by the frame and there is a loading gate.  I just shake my head and sigh...  I must admit, it seems like Hollywierd is actually trying to be more authentic..not sure if its the fans raising heck or what..

Here is a website that has movie prop guns...there is a Henry for sale...similar to the one in Dances with Wolves, Pale Rider and True grit...

http://www.hollywoodpropsupply.com/NewRifles.html

You do know those are POT Metal , non firing wall hangers right ? ....they are not True Movie Props...

when planets align...do the deal !

will52100

The one that comes to mind that hasn't been mentioned yet is "Night of the Living Dead", or some such.  Think it was the first, it's been awhile, think it was in black and white, hard to remember.  One of the chariters found a Henry in the old farm house they were holed up and and used it.  Was probably an original as I don't think Uberti was making them then.

Any Henrys show up in other non-westerns?
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

litl rooster

I don't have the movie on DVD or have I seen it in awhile.........."The Missing",Tommy Lee Jones didn't I see a "Henry's" in that one also?
Mathew 5.9

Tuolumne Lawman

Howdy to the camp,

At least one Hallmark Channel movie "The outsider" features a Henry, and a couple of the others they do also.  "The Missing" with Tommy Lee Jones (I think) there are Henry rifles also.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Coffinmaker

OK,

Wild Wild West.  That Bad Bad lady, Munisha is packin a Henry.  With a telescope sight not less!!!

coffiinmaker

litl rooster

The Legend of Zorro, there's a Engraved Brass frame with inlaid stock
Mathew 5.9

Jrw8214

In regards to the lever action used in Night of the Living Dead, it was a Winchester. I cant remember if it was a '73 or a '92. It could have even been a '66. I cant really tell because its in black and white. But it definately had the wooden forearm.

Long Johns Wolf

The Journeyman from 2003: in one of the opening sequences the hold-up at the post office, the bad guy is touting a nice Henry.
Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

stepnmud

Quote from: Bootsie on October 26, 2006, 04:27:27 AM
The Journeyman from 2003: in one of the opening sequences the hold-up at the post office, the bad guy is touting a nice Henry.
Bootsie

"The Journeyman" , had a real good assortment of firearms and enjoyed the movie because of the guns, then realized I also liked the movie for the actors and story line. Kinda harsh and different and watched several times and would again, maybe just me. ::)

Forty Rod

And then there was the episode of A Team when B. A. Baracus gets up in a church tower with an Improved Henry carbine. 

WHEEEE!!!
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com