JUST RAN ACROSS THIS VERY INETRESTING WEB SITE

Started by Dorado Slim, January 13, 2006, 10:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorado Slim

I was searching for some clap or other today and came across the web site http://www.teacheroz.com/19thcent.htm.  Don't know if any of you have ever been there but TAKE A LOOK BY ALL MEANS!  It is really interesting.  Give you good view of what America was like in the 19th century.

Sure ain't exactly what one sees at a CAS event ;D
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Dorado Slim, SASS 4992, Still pushin'

Howdy Doody

Wow pard, that is great. I looked around and then bookmarked it for further study. I love stuff like that. Thanks
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Howdy Doody

Pard, I have had a chance to go to that site a couple times and look around. The old pictures in the westward movement part are great. I saw there was an article by Fredrick Jackson Turner in the college section, but I couldn't access that due to not being a member. I wonder if that was our FJT, he is a college professor among other things. Anywway, I can see that there will be a lot to look over every time I have the opportuninty and I thank you for the link.  :)
BTW I just printed out the application for Western States in June and I need to fill it out and send it in and start saving up for gas money to get there. See ya then.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Prof. Bullspit

Hey Howdy Doody! Frederick Jackson Turner was a real person from whom our esteemed FJT took his name. The first FJT was a brilliant historian who produced what is known as the Turner Thesis which basically says that the frontier of America, and the continual move into this free space help explain American history.

This thesis really changed how historians looked at American history etc. for quite some time.

Hope this helps!

Marshal Will Wingam

Good link. thanks for posting it. I'll spend some time looking that site over.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Bristow Kid

Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Forty Rod

There go my weekends for about a year until I get through all of it.

Hey, no more honey-dos. 

THANKS!!!
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Brigid Tanner

That's so cool! Started looking around and almost forgot to come back and say thanks for the link  ;)   

Grizzle Bear

WOW!   ;D

Already found something I want to go and do, there's a restored Harvey House in Florence, Kansas, that serves meals.  Have to get the whole posse together in their outfits and go!

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Silver Creek Slim

Looks like alot of great stuff. Thanks, Slim.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Prof. Bullspit

Quote from: Grizzle Bear on January 19, 2006, 06:53:33 AM
WOW!   ;D

Already found something I want to go and do, there's a restored Harvey House in Florence, Kansas, that serves meals.  Have to get the whole posse together in their outfits and go!

Grizzle Bear

Now that would be fun! Hey Fourty Rod, can we have a Grumpy Lunch Bunch meeting there? But we would need to import our waitress from Calitos to serve us wouldn't we?

Forty Rod

I'd go for that.

I wonder if she has any sisters.  I think I'll ask her today at lunch.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Howdy Doody

Prof, thanks for the FJT bio. I actually never knew where his namesake came from. It would figure though.
Everytime I go to the link our pard Dorado Slim provided I find myself engrossed for a half hour or better. Great stuff. :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Silver_Rings

That is a neat web site.  Thanks for posting it.  ;D ;D

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Pinto Being

Great site, Dorado!!  Wonderful stuff and a great resource as others have mentioned.

Although, like all sites on the Internet, one needs to look to the sources and be somewhat critical about the info provided therein.

For example, here is a quote from the Cowboys section on this webpage:

"Most cowboys joined labor unions to protect their interests. The Knights of Labor was the largest such union."

Heh-heh.  mmm-hmmmm.  Yep, you bet.  ::)

A few did join the K of L at the very end of the Trail Drive Era, but there is absolutely no proof that durin' the heyday of the Old West cowboy, unions were prevalent. In fact, there is a great deal of evidence to show that Old West cowboys were staunchly anit-union.  So much for credibility.

BTW, a good piece of historical fiction about the {minimal} unionization of cowboys can be found in Elmer Kelton's book entitled "The Day the Cowboys Quit".

Ride on!

Pinto (cynical) Being
"Not too proud to cut hay and wild enough to eat it!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com