Prof scored a Sharps AND and Rolling Block

Started by Professor Marvel, Yesterday at 08:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Marvel

As posted on the "falling off the wagon" thread

I finally scored an Italian Pedersoli Sharps Rifle in .45-70 with a 26" barrel.
Thats about as long as I can handle without it dragging On the ground.

And an honest to gosh unmolested   (Corected from "swedish" ) "Danish"  Rolling Block!

A Model M-1867 built in Kjobeenhavns Toihuus (thats the Copenhagen Arsenal) 
In the original 11.7x42R and a 35.5 inch barrel.

I think, but cannot yet prove, that this caliber is close enough to use modified 45-70 brass?

I see that Deacon has one of the .50 caliber Swedes coming!

"Some people" ( especially the Scandinavians in their home world ) have claimed that these old swedes
Are unsafe with anything. This is due to the ignorant ( mostly kids and or drunks) Scandinavians of this time period, finding an old rifle That has been squirreled away and "some kind of ammunition" that sort of fits, saying "hold my aqvavit beer and watch this" leading to a less than harmonious outcome.

Then the scandal sheets and talking heads point to the event and cry and moan about how firearms are inherently unsafe and will actually spontaneoulsy explode just when looked at LOL.

And no, that is not rhetoric, I read about it on a translated Swedish/Danish/Norwegian hunting website.
It would never happens to the Finns, because they dont bother with firelocks, they regularly punch out deer and chase bears with brooms.

Once I get these puppies in my hands I will have start selling off some of my projects, such as the
Trapdoor barreled actions and parts, maybe the 1895 mauser actions and some of the "too many" randomish bp era barrels..........

And maybe some of the Rem 1858 project revolvers

Yhs
Prof marbles
More pics later

Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Hair Trigger Jim

Nice finds both! 

Did the Swedes build rifles in Denmark?
Hair Trigger Jim

Professor Marvel

Thank you Jim I stand corrected. My excited little grey cells got stuck on Swede, even tho thauction actually states Danish.
Correcting my post
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Professa; I think you have a DANISH Remington. Caliber is listed in my 3d edition of COTW as 11.7
x 51R

The first lot were made by Remington, the rest in Denmark.

Discussion in COTW suggest the .45-70 US as a basic case shortened by .09". Loads of real gunpowder should be reduced by 1 gr. (factory load is shown as 50gr. Under a 380 gr. Lead bullet. Smokeless loads in COTW show as 4198. I "seem to recall" someone suggest that the Danish rim was thinner than the .45-70 case. The only way to tell would be to try it out. If the block closes enough for the hammer to fall properly, you would be good to go.

To verify dimensions, go to.my favorite reference: "cartridge-corner.com/metric.htm"
It shows every dimension for every caliber known to man, except rim thickness.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Hair Trigger Jim

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on Yesterday at 09:55:19 PMTo verify dimensions, go to.my favorite reference: "cartridge-corner.com/metric.htm"
It shows every dimension for every caliber known to man, except rim thickness.

WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS WEBSITE?  WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS WEBSITE?  WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS WEBSITE?

Seriously though, why did I not know about this website?

THANK YOU!

Now I have to somehow not spend a bunch of time on that site tonight, because my wife is waiting for me to get off the 'puter.
Hair Trigger Jim

Professor Marvel

Like button to Sir C!
Thanks Sir C I will go check the link out and bookmark across my three five way too many computational devices!

Thanks especially for the load info!

The best part is the danish models used the "best quality" steel made using the swedish bessemer process, so the danish rollers are quite strong! BP and or equivalent pressure curve powders only...  4198 has long been advocated as nearly perfectly replicating the BP pressures and pressure curves :)

PS Sir C , if you are intersted in shooting your cowboy revolvers in your back yard or garage, I can provide some excellent
Advice using only primers and hot glue bullets.... They even work in C&B revovlers!
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com