Swedish Rolling Block Incoming

Started by DeaconKC, October 20, 2024, 10:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeaconKC

Okay guys, I'm getting a Swedish Rolling Block in 12.7x44R. Sportered already, but the bore looks good in the pics. From what I understand the .500 S&W brass and dies will work for this, so does anyone here have any experience with this?
Thanks
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Tascosa Joe

I have a twin to yours and it shoots like a dream. Original sporter sights dead on at 167yds. I bought my brass from Buffalo Arms, the first batch were made from 348 Win, the 2nd batch was from 50 Alaskan.  I use a 450 gr .512 from buffalo arms, 67gr 2F GOEX compacted and a Winchester Lg Rifle primer.   It uses 50-70 dies.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Cap'n Redneck

I can confirm that .500 S&W cases and dies will NOT work.
(.500 S&W cases will disappear down the chamber, get stuck in the forcing-cone and have to be knocked out from the muzzle end with a sturdy cleaning rod. Yep; been there, done that.)
.50 Alaskan cases is the way to go; just cut to length, trim, then fireform.
Be aware that some of these Swedish Rolling Blocks have had their chambers reamed to .50-70 Gov't. in modern times. 
A .50-70 cartridge is just a little to long & fat to fit an original 12,7x44 chamber.
So if a stock .50-70 case does fit your chamber you know you have "a Swede with an American upgrade"...!
.50-70 dies will do the trick, so will .56-50 Spencer-dies in a pinch...
If using reduced loads of blackpowder, try filling the air-space between powder and bullet with sesame seeds for added lubrication.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Hair Trigger Jim

Deacon, on the off chance you check this forum before the other one, AlOvera just posted some .50-70 dies for sale on the SASS Wire.
Hair Trigger Jim

Tascosa Joe

My Swede will almost chamber a 50-70, but it lacks about 1/8th inch going all the way in and the rim is way too thick.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Pay Dirt Norvelle

I'm glad I ran into this thread as I have a Swede Rolling Block sitting in my safe that I really haven't looked at. This will make me get going.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com