Got the Belgian Spencer

Started by John Brooder, Yesterday at 03:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Brooder

What a beautiful piece of work!  Made by Falisse & Trapmann for Brazilian cavalry in 1873 and converted by unknown, possibly the factory, to centerfire in 1877 according to what I have read..  Serial numbers matching breach block, carrier block, cocking handle, forend ring, tubular magazine and handle with both Belgian and Brazilian proof marks.  Looks all original.  Sorry about the photos.

"It's Good to be the King"

John Brooder

There re many more photos so if there is something that you want to see please let me know.  As far as the barrel twist, I have misplace my rifle cleaning rod and cannot provide that at this time.  The bore looks pretty clean but I haven't given it a good

Thank you for looking. 

El Supremo

Thanks, John:
Lucky you.
More photo's please.
Will standby on twist.
What related stuff are you seeking, please?
Smiles,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

John Brooder

Kevin, Thanks! The only thing that I would love to find is a Brazilian, Belgian or other period made 56-50 center fire cartridge but they appear to be rare as hen's teeth.

John Brooder

John Brooder

Used a 6-inch pistol cleaning rod with a bearing in the handle and a jag with patch to measure twist and it made a 1/4 turn in 6-inches.  Did this 5 times and it was a 1/4-turn each time.  Does this equal 24:1 twist or are my complete lack of math skills coming back to haunt me.

El Supremo

Thanks, John:
Your 4X6 twist at 24" helps.

"HERBERT" a SSS Member, posted a while ago that he owned a Belgian Spencer with 24" twist, and that it shot well with 350-380gr. bullets.

Marcot shows a French rimfire Spencer cartridge, but not a center-fire cartridge. I will ask a friend in Maine who sees Spencer cartridges at gun shows to help. If you have a photo of one, please add it to your Thread. Smiles.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny

El Supremo

Hello, John:

More on cartridge:

Searched the Internet for Belgian and Brazilian 56-50 cartridges. A website popped: WWW.Munitions.org.
Using its search box, two vintage centerfire cartridge photo's are presented. I will PM them, since I cannot Post here via my DROID cell.

Also, your much appreciated photo's do not  show a blade extractor. Maybe the Lane version is used. 

The photo's appear to show cases that might be duplicated with modern ones. I can send you some 56-50 centerfire cases to test fit.

El Supremo/Kevin Tinny

John Brooder

Thanks for the information Kevin!  I'd love to get ahold of a fresh 56-50 centerfire case.  I am happy to pay for one.
As far as the extractor, see the photos below.  I don't know Spencer's that well yet but there is a blade that slides along the inside of the receiver.  It is smaller/shorter than the one in my 1860.

El Supremo

Big help, John:
I noticed a dark line on the inside of the action in earlier photo. Your latest photo seems to show the shorter blade, spring assisted version, not the Lane that rests at 6:00 on the chamber.

Please PM me an address so I can pass some cases for test fitting. They have a slightly wider rim OD and should extract better vs. STARLINE's. Later, if wish, I can get you something that is "complete". Nice.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com