Project advice for newbie

Started by CWC, October 07, 2024, 03:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CWC

Hey guys, I'm looking for some basic info and advice about buying and possibly restoring an 1876 Winchester to shooting condition. I have owned a couple modern lever actions, including an 1866 reproduction, but this will be my first original, antique gun. I will probably be looking for a rifle that is not in great shape, both due to cost, and because I would not want to put much use on a really nice original.

Which websites and forums should I be stalking to find a fixer-upper rifle?

How is the availability of parts, especially the internal parts? Is anyone machining new parts, or will I have to source original parts?

What else should I know before I head down this rabbit hole?

Thanks!

Editing to say this: Based on the responses so far I think I did a poor job of wording my original post. It seems like you guys think I'm talking about buying a bunch of parts and trying to make a rifle out of it. When I say I'm looking for a fixer-upper I'm talking about buying a rifle that is already in shootable condition, but having to do some work to make it look nice. Basically, something a collector wouldn't be willing to pay a lot for because of the lack of original finish, and maybe some bruises.

Abilene

Advice?  Yes - don't go down that rabbit hole.  I have not done it, but from reading about others' exploits, you don't wanna.  Parts are non-existent / very very expensive.  You could buy an original in shootable condition for less than you could put one together, and have a shooter, way, way faster.  IMO.

Hopefully someone who has done this (or tried) can pop in here. 

If you just want to shoot an original rifle but can't afford a '76, look for a '92.  Lots of them out there and affordable in shooting condition.  1873's as well, but those will cost more.

Coffinmaker

:) CWC ;)

A VERY BIG PLUS ONE for Abilene.

That is one very very DEEP rabbit hole and a very very expensive one at that.  Much cheaper to find one in shootable condition and treat it with TLC.

Abilene

Hey Major, I see in the index that you responded, but there is no post showing so I'm guessing you maybe reported this one?  It's skynet, I tell ya!  :(

King Medallion

King Medallion
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

CWC

Quote from: Major 2 on Yesterday at 08:44:18 AMsuspect AI
Major, are you saying you think my post is AI generated? If so, why in the world would you think that? Is AI frequently coming to this forum seeking advice on buying a rifle?

Also, I added another paragraph to the end of my original post to clarify my question.

Hair Trigger Jim

AI has been spamming this forum like crazy.  Most new posts are actually AI, so we have gotten pretty suspicious around here.

Your added paragraph does help.  Hopefully you can find a shooter that doesn't need much internal work, just cosmetic.
Hair Trigger Jim

Major 2

I'm afraid I did, we have had a rash of AI and spammers...

with lucid posts or questions.

Take that if you will, as a kinda complement  :P 

OK so you asked, I did restore a Winchester 73, an 1891 in 32/20 (not a 76 but what the hey)
The gun did not need a great deal, Magazine Spring, dust cover screw & spring,
and rear sight ramp....from Winchester Bob.

I found the needed parts at https://winchesterbob.com/ and https://homesteadparts.com/shop/ or https://jackfirstinc.com/
when planets align...do the deal !

CWC

Wow, I don't understand AI at all, but I had no idea they would be trying to get information on restoring rifles from this forum.

Thanks for the links Major. 73 is definitely my second favorite long gun. If I manage to get a 76, maybe I'll have to buy it a little brother in a few years.

Any tips on the best places to keep an eye out for original Winchesters?

King Medallion

Google is your friend. "Winchester 1876 for sale"
King Medallion

Abilene

Quote from: CWC on Yesterday at 12:43:47 PMWow, I don't understand AI at all, but I had no idea they would be trying to get information on restoring rifles from this forum....

The AI posts are not looking for information, they are pretending to be human so they can build up their post counts and eventually try to scam someone on a sale or purchase.  Or something like that...   >:(

CWC

Quote from: King Medallion on Yesterday at 01:17:00 PMGoogle is your friend. "Winchester 1876 for sale"

When I google that I get 99% junk. Stuff like forum posts from 2011 and websites that are listing reproductions they haven't had in stock for a decade. I have found a couple promising rifles, but would like to see what else is out there. Do you have any specific website recommendations?

King Medallion

Really? I didn't. Not on the 1st page anyway. Lots of rifles for sale.
King Medallion

Professor Marvel

My Good CWC

Your best bets are going to be
1) national places like cabelas that handle decent stuff in their "gun libraries"
2) legitimate gun auction sites like gunbroker and guns america
3) regular internet auction houses.

#2 and #3 are going to be "let the buyer beware" no matter hiw good it looks

#3 is even more so, then add "buyers premium" excessive ffl and packing fees etc

Bottom line, it aint easy, especially with quality brick and mortar places going under left and right.

Good luck

Yhs
Prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Abilene

I signed up years ago for emails from Antiqueguns.com - around +/- once a month I get an email from them listing their current auctions (or occasionally "buy me now' prices).  I've never bought anything from them but I just enjoy eyeballing all the old guns.  They do occasionally have '76's, although I just checked their site and none right now.

Cap'n Redneck

"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Slamfire

Guns International???

coffee's ready,  Hootmix.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com