RIP Phil Spangenberger (1940-2024)

Started by Major 2, Yesterday at 08:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Major 2

I'm saddened to read Firearms Editor Phil Spangenberger died suddenly during a heart procedure on September 26, 2024.
He was 84 originally from Florida, I first met him on the loading dock at the Orange County Convention Center in 2007. On the occasion of Shot Show 2007, he out back having s smoke break, I spoke to him briefly in passing.
He was in full regalia, representing Old West Magazine.

when planets align...do the deal !

Kent Shootwell

I got to know him a bit and found him to be a pleasant and knowledgeable person. We shared a tent in a hunting camp and his ability to keep the stove glowing red all night was remarkable! He was kind enough to send me some movie props that John Wayne's son gave him. He wrote some good articles.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Coal Creek Griff

Ahhh, I'm sorry to hear this. I was heavily influenced by his writing back in the 80s. My current interests are very much as a result of his articles. Somewhere I have one of his company's early catalogs with fabric swaths included. I was impressed by his efforts at authenticity. I always liked the old West, but in those days I was just learning that it was possible to achieve levels of authentic reenacting beyond copying John Wayne movies...
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Silver Creek Slim

A magazine article of Phil's is what introduced me to CAS. I watched the Tournament of Roses Parade just to see Phil in his cowboy outfit riding his horse.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Galloway

He was one of the first and one of the best modern historical re enactors. I read a whole box of guns and ammo articles of his when I was starting out in BP. His great pictures and writings had a positive influence throughout my adulthood and he'll truly be missed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com