Yes, it is possible!

Started by Cheyenne Logan, October 01, 2024, 10:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheyenne Logan

Uberti 1861, Kirst converter, Uberti open top ejector, barrel filled and correctly sculpted!1861ub.jpg

Cheyenne Logan

Replica alongside original

Cheyenne Logan

Underside of barrel ;D wedge isn't seated.......

Cheyenne Logan

Left side with Original.........had many who said this couldn't be done, one well known smith said it couldn't be done.....might have believed the naysayers if I didn't have prior knowledge that it would work....there was a 'smith down Georgia way many years ago who was converting Navy revolvers and he did an 1861 for me and we used the Open Top ejector on it and sculpted the loading lever area like Colt did. Really miss that one, but that was years ago and I had 3 kids who were selfish and thought they should eat 3 squares a day!  ::) Only thing I really wish is that it had the cylinder scene rolled on it, but I think it came out reasonable.

Abilene

well that is just killer!  Way to go!  That wasn't the Ottway Smith in Georgia was it?  I think it was Georgia.  Saw a Richards he made from a R-M.

You will have to go into more detail on how you did it.

Lucky R. K.

The Otway Smith, Ron Snover, is in Tennessee and I believe he is retired. He used to shoot with our club but I haven't seen him for awhile.
Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Cheyenne Logan

Interesting thing is that Uberti part will bolt right onto the original! ;D

Coffinmaker

Cheyenne ;)

Yessiree Bob!!  That's a great job.  Can be a PITA to do but it is quite do-able as you have shown.  I have always told folks it is an involved job, and were I to do it, talk to your Broker first.

As a note:  The original Colt 1861 conversions were originally contracted for, by the US Navy.  Very few were done for the civilian market.  I don't actually know how the Navy disposed of their '61s when they retired them from service.

DeaconKC

SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Cheyenne Logan

Rube Burrows

"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Abilene

I'm curious about the ejector housing.  Were you able to use a R-M housing?

Cheyenne Logan

::) yes, it's a Uberti part, used on the R-M conversions and the 71-72 Open Top

Cheyenne Logan

;D Abilene, Here's the Uberti R-M/OT ejector housing mounted on the original 1861 conversion barrel.

Abilene

Cool! So I guess milling (or filing?) a groove in the side of the Uberti barrel was part of the reshaping?

Cheyenne Logan

:D This is an ASM 1860 (1861) 38 done by Island Gunsmithing , Charles Bonnet, in Fernandina Beach , FL.....he did my barrel work and quite reasonable too.....look him up on FB, he's done a lot of cowboy studff, even built himself one of the Henry's that did away with the follower and used a solid tube under the barrel, loaded at the base with a complicated sliding mechanism....

Cheyenne Logan

Quote from: Abilene on October 04, 2024, 11:22:50 AMCool! So I guess milling (or filing?) a groove in the side of the Uberti barrel was part of the reshaping?

Yes

Cheyenne Logan

Like this Abilene.......

Pappy Hayes

Very nice. I want one to complete my collection

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com