Hard trigger pull on pair of new EL MALO 2 revolvers!

Started by fortyshooter, September 21, 2024, 07:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fortyshooter

Got my pair of new Cimarron EL Malo 2  Colt 45 revolvers in yesterday and they were both perfect in every way except the very hard trigger pull on both. The hammer pull is very nice and I'd call it a medium light but pulling the trigger is like pulling on the trigger guard and then a sudden break with no creep. Compared to any of my other Italian revolvers these two are the hardest I have seen. The hammer spring main spring looks to be a very slimmed down version. Haven't got to the trigger spring yet and will check it out. Now if you very slightly pull the hammer back from full cock the trigger is light. I don't have a trigger pull gauge but the pull is rock hard and wears on your finger after several pulls. Last night I worked the action many times hoping it would lighten up but not any change.
Anyone have this model revolver or newer Cimarron with this issue?

fortyshooter

Well it has the standard flat trigger spring so I removed it ...cleaned and added a touch of moly lube to the contact surfaces. Removed the main spring cleaned it and roller and a touch of moly lube along with a shim under the spring. Smoother hammer pull and the trigger pull a touch lighter. About all I can do until I get some Wolff trigger springs in. Get out and shoot them tomorrow. My range open 24/7!

DeaconKC

SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Abilene

I have no idea if this is related.  But about a year or so after Cimarron started carrying Pietta revolvers, they got in a number of guns that had horrible triggers - very heavy and when it did break it would hurt your finger.  There was a sear or hammer notch problem with those and they had to be reworked.  So, just wondering if that issue may have reappeared?  Any way, good luck with them!

Professor Marvel

Quote from: Abilene on September 21, 2024, 09:31:04 PMI have no idea if this is related.  But about a year or so after Cimarron started carrying Pietta revolvers, they got in a number of guns that had horrible triggers - very heavy and when it did break it would hurt your finger.  There was a sear or hammer notch problem with those and they had to be reworked.  So, just wondering if that issue may have reappeared?  Any way, good luck with them!

Well golly! I would be inclined to disassemble them and check out the trigger and hammer surfaces under a strong glass. You might be surprised at what you find.

I got Mrs Marvel a used Uberti thunderball snubnkse thing, and by golly the prior owner had broken off the trigger end not understanding how the safety notch worked! I got that fixed with an older trigger out of my parts box.... I expect i ought to order out a bunch of "new" piette and uberti triggers so as to have them on hand and "do it correctly" ....
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Abilene

Professor, if that random trigger works good, then I say you "did it right"  ;)

Coffinmaker

:) Hi Forty ;)

I also have a marvelous pair of El Malo 2.  The action on my pair, out of the box was perfect.  Crisp, smooth, tight lockup (maybe too tight).

The trigger pull on my pair is also on the heavy side.  The break is clean, there is no creep and because of the heavy pull, I tend to push off to the left with my right hand, and opposite with my Left hand.  Since the break is clean and no creep, I'm leaving them alone.  I do have a trigger Jig but it is so so easy to screw it up the other way and I haven't done a "trigger job" in nine or ten years.  Don't wanna poke the Bear.

Forgot to include:  The Pietta flat Trigger/Bolt spring is probably the best of any Replicant and hard to improve on.  I use to use them for most of my Action Jobs.  The current Pietta version of the Main Spring is also excellent and VERY hard to improve on and still get reliable ignition.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com