Sad state of affairs

Started by Major 2, September 10, 2024, 06:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Coal Creek Griff on September 11, 2024, 10:46:22 PM"Wear a Kilt, tshirt, tight boots, gunbelt with Remmies and 14 inch dirk!"

Oh man, do we NEED a picture!

Griff
Yes we do.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

DeaconKC

I carried a Cold Steel Skean Dhu for 17 years as my "Get off me knife" when I was working. Clan MacQuarrie here, "The Red Tartaned Army".
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Trailrider

I passed up shooting matches when COVID-19 hit. Then, one club I used to shoot at, that was "only" 67 miles from the house, moved further away, leaving one club which is also 67 miles. Then, it got so danged hot, that it wasn't fun until the cooler weather. But, by that time, I've developed arthritis in my right shoulder and thumb, and if I shoot shotgun, it will have to be from the hip! And not even sure about .44-40 rifle from the shoulder. My M1860 Henry, in the same caliber is too muzzle heavy for my back, and I'm probably looking to sell it. Hell gettin' old. So the ol' Trailrider may have ridden his last shooting tail.  :P  :'(  I'll still stick around the campfire...as long as my typing fingers can handle the keyboard.
Ride easy, Pards, but stay alert!
Your obedient servant,
Trailrider
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

John44

Got dam muillennial here. I don't know what to tell ya fellas. I'm here because I'm love history. I was so excited when I Discovered cowboy action shooting when I was a young teenager. I quickly lost interest in getting into CAS when I realized it was a game of standing in one spot shooting pop fart .38s at spitting distance as fast as possible. I thought that's it? No history? no Challenge? Shooting 2x2 steel 10 feet away? Lame! As I got older I realized that's not the entirety of the sport largely due to this forum. But I'd rather take a trapdoor hunting then spend train loads of money just to see who can work their short stroked hammer faster. Also many factors have caused issues for this sport. An example is I have found exactly two tins of 100 caps for my shooters in 4 years! When was the last time .44-40 brass was readily available? I don't known how to fix this predicament other than to try and keep the history of the old west alive as much as I can. Thanks to the all of the old timers here who have passed on the knowledge that I have gained here. I will do my best to carry it into the future. Check out western pioneer(Not me!) on YouTube for another "youngster" who probably sees things in a similar light. https://m.youtube.com/@WesternPioneer/videos
God bless

Professor Marvel

"Like button" for John44

Like all fads, stuff and different games comes and goes.

When was the last time anybody saw a "bowling pin" shoot? And boy howdy those things were fun!

Then the gamers and high tech weenies ruined it.

I used to shoot IPSC in minnesota and THAT was fun! I never even made the top 50% ( not sure if i ever made it above the bottom at all) but it was FUN. One guy shot revolver class with his fluf-n-buff but otherwise stock 4" ruger service six, and we all had fun. Until the gamers took over. Oh and crawling around in the dirt. And standing on your head shooting from under a barrier. That werent fun at all.

The good part about THIS game is that it is/was what the local clubs made of it.
At first SASS made the rules, set up a system and got widespread agreement.
Later, "other folk" said, well the old farts at the top think they are the supreme dictators,
But you know what? We can make our own thing seperate but alongside.
Cowboy Action. GAF. NCOWS, zoot shooters, wild bunch, the  Cowboy 3 gun. Whatever.
Its all good. May not be SASS sanctioned for scoring and stuff, but who cares as long as its fun and has basic rules.

Sooo .

I myself am trying to see if the ONLY local indoor range is wiling to play some sort of cowboy based game, maybe shooting at balloons in cardboard frames. They already have some indoor bullseye clubs and allow "certified shooters" to draw from leather. Sooooo, we will see. At worst, it could get them more regular shooters & more revenue! Just cant shoot bp indoors is all .... One reason I got coversion cylinders for my colts and remmies.

Yhs

praeceptor miraculum

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Slamfire

"Sad state of reloading stuff" (Hope this is in the right place).
 Went to a small local Gun & Knife show this past weekend, did my usual walk around. Didn't see any reloading equipment, anywhere?? Stopped at the largest vender's table and ask if he had any reloading equipment, new or used for sale, (wait for it) DEER in Headlight Look. His reply, i think there may be some primers and maybe a little powder down on the other end of the table!!! I stop'd at 4 different tables with the same question, same stare (look). I have some reloading equipment (Hollywood gun mfg) that want to sell and thought the dealers might be interested in a lot buy (plan A) failed. There were a few long rifles & plenty of handguns & AR'S, (coffee by donation but it was good). I live in a smaller town in s.e. okla., and so far, have found 5 more reloaders besides myself, 3 of us reload 3-4 different cal's,( or more) the others are AR'ers (word). Yup, sad state of affairs.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

DeaconKC

Slamfire, I am in North Central AR [Heber Springs] the shop I work at does handle reloading supplies and equipment. Let me know what you are looking for.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com