Which way to go, centerfire conversion vs Italian replica in 56-50?

Started by John Brooder, August 27, 2024, 01:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Brooder

I realize the centerfire conversion block is the much cheaper way to go but I don't want to ruin my original/ Springfield Armory modified 1860.  On the other hand there are many posts about how the replicas are difficult to get to run smoothly, if at all.  I would love to hear your opinions.  Thank you.
John

P.S. - just for fun, my ode to what one might have carried just after the Civil War during the start of westward expansion.  Please don't tell the wife, I am supposed to be cleaning up my office............

El Supremo

Hello, John:

Use of a center-fire upper block should not cause adverse value issues for an original, provided the original was unaltered in the block's fitting process, the original rim fire block was retained, and only traditional black powder was used.  There have been reports of large PISTOL primers, which sit approx. .003" lower than RIFLE primers, peening incorrectly hardened block faces.  Aftermarket c-f blocks usually fit, so if fitting is needed, skip that one. There are reports of some original, otherwise functional Spencer's with minor internal receiver dimensions that make fitting an after market block quite challenging. Aside from these manageable concerns, I'd try the repl. block vs. chancing an "import".

As for repro's, Romano's are U. S. made from scratch and high quality. They are no longer made, but have traded here and on other Forums for between $3,000 and $4,300, depending on condition or rifle vs. carbine. 

If considering an Italian import, I'd want to handle and test fire first to KNOW it was ok.  I have seen new, out-of-the box ones, have issues, as reported here recently.  I know of many that are fine.  I'd try used imports to side step warranty situations.
Luck of the draw with imports!

If wish more specifics, please PM me with a way to do a phone chat. All the best.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

John Brooder

Kevin - Thank you for the reply.  You cleared up the choices nicely, as usual.
Best,
John

John Brooder

Of course, despite the terrific response and advice I received from El Supremo, I went another way.  I decided to acquire a Belgian Spencer made by Falisse & Trappman in 1873 to be used by the Brazilian cavalry and already converted to 56-50 centerfire in 1877.  I understand, now, why my parents drank.........

El Supremo

Thanks, John, for the interesting update:

While not directly related to your block question, please tell us the rifling twist rate. A couple close-up photo's of your Belgian Spencer will be appreciated. Thanks.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

John Brooder

Kevin,
Will do.  It will be awhile as we just paid $5K for a roof repair so I had to put the Spencer on layaway.
John

blairwelch

Quote from: El Supremo on August 28, 2024, 06:46:22 AMHello, John:

Use of a center-fire upper block should not cause adverse value issues for an original, provided the original was unaltered in the block's fitting process, the original rim fire block was retained, and only traditional black powder was used.  There have been reports of large PISTOL primers, which sit approx. .003" lower than RIFLE primers, peening incorrectly hardened block faces.  Aftermarket c-f blocks usually fit, so if fitting is needed, skip that one. There are reports of some original, otherwise functional Spencer's with minor internal receiver dimensions that make fitting an after market block quite challenging. Aside from these manageable concerns, I'd try the repl. block vs. chancing an "import". Uno Online

As for repro's, Romano's are U. S. made from scratch and high quality. They are no longer made, but have traded here and on other Forums for between $3,000 and $4,300, depending on condition or rifle vs. carbine. 

If considering an Italian import, I'd want to handle and test fire first to KNOW it was ok.  I have seen new, out-of-the box ones, have issues, as reported here recently.  I know of many that are fine.  I'd try used imports to side step warranty situations.
Luck of the draw with imports!

If wish more specifics, please PM me with a way to do a phone chat. All the best.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny

The story you shared is really interesting. If I have any questions, I will contact you immediately.

Trailrider

S&S centralfiire blocks were advertised that a (high percentage) would fit drop in. The one I received did not quite, so I went about fitting it. The idea is NOT to alter the receiver in any way, but remove metal carefully, a little at a time with a file. The other thing is to fit the firing pin to act inertially, so you can close the action without catching the tip of the pin on the receiver. Takes patience...and maybe a spare retraction pin or two!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com