Chiappa Spencer disappointment

Started by SgtMak, August 16, 2024, 09:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SgtMak

So I purchased a Chiappa 56-50 Spencer carbine from Taylors in June. Took it out to the NSSA range at Fort Shenandoah yesterday for load development. After shooting 15 rounds with the spencer and ejecting the 15 round with the lever the whole breach block came out with it just hanging out attached to the lever screw. So I disassembled it and now the lever is off centered. I attempted to try to motion the lever down again and the breech block came out again hanging only by the lever screw. Sadly I forgot to take pictures. Anyway I took the Spencer back to Taylors to try to fix the problem since its still under warranty.

Abilene

I'm not a Spencer guy, but that issue has been around for some time if you operate the lever a little too hard (and everybody knows you have to work it with authority!).  Seems I've seen some fixes mentioned in the back pages here.  Good luck!

Cap'n Redneck

Yep; the front end of the triggerplate is supposed to stop the breech-block ass'y from coming out like that.  When poorly fitted from the factory and/or worn down from prolonged use the fix is to remove the triggerplate, weld on some more material and profile it more closely to the corresponding groove in the breech-block.  Or send it off for a warranty repair.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Major 2

Some time after Armispot began to offer the replica Spencer in 44 Russian (the 56-50 Spencer was on the horizon but not yet available)
I bought the next caliber to be offered 44 Schofield maybe a year later.
The 44 Russian was discontinued, and 45 Colt was offered about the same time 56-50 became available. This was about 20 years ago as I recall.
My circa 2004 44 Schofield, was nicely turned out and I don't recall any disappointing issues. I did eventually trade it off however.
I do recall the feed tube had orange plastic follower rather than the originals steel cup.
But even that caused no feed issues, if one did operate the lever with authority, however.
I have read of others having issues, even failures requiring return to the mothership.
I'd contact Taylor for shipping instructions.
when planets align...do the deal !

El Supremo

Hello,SgtMak:

Your Armisport Spencer should have included  Warranty info.  Beyond Taylors, a distributor, Armisport Chiappa has a warranty/service support center in Dayton OH that has been helpful. Please keep us posted on how this unfolds. Thanks and smiles.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Johnson Barr

Customer service number in Ohio is: 937-835-5000   Ask for Liz Franklin, she helped me find parts for my .44 S&W Russian carbine built more than 20 years ago.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

SgtMak

Took it back to Taylor's yesterday and they said their gunsmith will look at it. Fingers crossed.

El Supremo

Hello, SgtMak:

Am hoping Taylors resolved your issue by now.
Any news, please? Thanks.

El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

SgtMak

Received it back from Taylor's a week ago. They fixed the issue of the lever slipping out but the lever is still crooked. The lever and action is still functional and able to shoot. Taylors ordered a new lever from Chiappa and they will replace that once the part comes in. No complaints about Taylor's for they took care of the issue. Taylors did tell me that the spencer was a showroom model before I bought it so the use in the showroom might have helped cause the problem. Took it to the range today and shot 30 rounds with no issues with the lever.  Still trying to figure out the sights but load group is good. So I'm looking forward to using it at the Spencer match at Nationals.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com