1880s black powder recipe using carbonized peas to reduce/soften fouling: Hmmm

Started by Drydock, August 10, 2024, 07:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drydock

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Coffinmaker

:) Ah Yes  ;)

Velly velly Interestink (Stolen famous TV Line).  Kinda BIG bullet though.

Initially, I forgot to include, I have absolutely NO intention to make my own Black Powder.  Still, rather interesting.

Professor Marvel

Thanks my Good Drydock!

Science!
They actually used Sciennce!
They comprehend and utilize The Scientific Method!
And Data! Lots of good Data!

I love the book too, I will have to get it. I was unaware of carbonized peas and the prolific use thereof.

Most entertaining and enlightening!
Aaaaand i will conue to buy my powder for the time being 😜
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Coffinmaker

:) Ah Yessssssssss  ;)

I forgot in my previous, I were gonna get really Snarky.  But I forgot.  So for "makeup" allow me to interject, I have found APP doesn't create "Hard Fouling"  :D  Based on that monuments discovery, I feel I can four go including Carbonized Peas as my preferred "filler/additive."

Atz still a really Big Bullet though.  Perhaps for hunting the willey and elusive big Diesels??  (really hard to skin too  :o)

Major 2

Beware....Asian Gambling SPAM

ShigeharuSagawa28
Citizen

Add to buddy list
Send PM
Show posts
Show stats
Date registered:Today at 06:59:55 AMLocal Time:August 20, 2024, 07:16:51 AMLast active:Today at 07:01:36 AM
Signature:
Want to feel the thrill of winning big? Join us and create a new account on our slot website poker gods that offer unforgettable bonus features for new players. Don't miss out on this opportunity to increase your winning potential!
Become a part of our community of satisfied poker 88 players and create a new account on our slot website. Enjoy amazing bonus features for new players, while gaining an unforgettable gaming experience!
when planets align...do the deal !

Hair Trigger Jim

Major, I'm assuming you reported it?  I already reported one spammer today on a different thread.

Major 2

Yes Sir... Thanks for being ever vigilant...
I myself found and report two different scammers
when planets align...do the deal !

Mako

Jake Harris does a good job.  Since he is striving for powder as powerful as Swiss and at least as clean he's done a good job documenting that.  Now that he has a Garmin chronograph (supplied by his patrons and contributors) it's gotten even better and easier to watch.  I grow tired of watching missed speed readings on an optical chronograph (ProChrono), it makes the video twice as long as needed and creates doubt as to the readings.

He just did another one where he tried it with his longer milling time and I believe he used the dried pea/ Cottonwood charcoal. It still made "soft" fouling but he lost maybe 100fps with his Southern Mountain Flintlock.

I want to say a few things about Jake and the way he approaches his Black Powder making and experimentation.  He's actually MUCH BETTER than most of the scientists I have worked with or work with now concerning preconception and bias.  He (I'm going to mix metaphors here...) "Gores sacred cows."  He holds nothing to be true according to the wives tales until he proves it either true or false.  He uses 3F (or whatever he is using to charge his rifle) in the pan as well.  Blasphemy!!!! some would proclaim.  EVERYONE knows you have to use 4F for priming...  He makes duplex loads, he loads smokeless (in very moderate amounts) in C&B revolvers, He leaves space between the powder and ball in his rifle, space in the case of a .45 Colt. He doesn't believe it when told by "experts" that milling powder for more than 24hrs will not provide any benefits.  He tries every carbon source under the sun (exaggeration of course).  He finds better ways of pyrolizing biomass to create fast and clean charcoal, the man has found that of the sources he has tried to date the best charcoal source is Cottonelle toilet paper. Yet even though he hypothesized that it could be that it is processed and "cleaned" by the processing he is NOT dogmatic about it, he knows that there could be other reasons for the success he hasn't discovered yet.

I like him, he's irreverent when it comes to commonly accepted dogma and is curious.  I think it is funny that there is another fellow on Youtube that goes by the name of "Lame Beaver" that treats Jake as his nemesis.  I'm sure Jake knows the Lame One makes posts on the coattails of his videos but I haven't seen him address it directly.  The funny thing is that Lame Beaver actually benefits from Jake's posts and the fact that the Youtube algorithm suggests content for you to watch next linking him to the end of Jake's videos.  If you look at the metrics (on both content providers) you can get for each video, Lame Beaver's views were pretty flat until Jake came along.  I'm sure Lame Beaver is a nice guy and he does have an Etsy presence but it is fun to watch him get all wound up about Jake trying "new fangled" sources of components and the way he stores and processes them.  It's as if he is unnerved by Jake's curiosity ad willingness to try anything at least once.

My own personal quest for usable powder is not exactly like Jake's, for the majority of my needs I'd be happy with 24 Hr milled powder (or less).  I currently shoot "Re-enactor and I used to shoot "Skirmish" (still have 3 lbs of 1F Skirmish) for almost all of my Cowboy loading and C&Bs.  If it went bang, smoked and cleared the muzzle (well it had to fly straight), then at 7 to 10 yards it was good enough.  I went for cheap! (and especially availability).  For my hunting percussion muzzle loader (Lyman Plains Rifle) or for a Cody Dixon Match (or any longer range stage) I use Swiss or Schuetzen. I use 2F because that's what I have developed my loads for accuracy in the rifles (50 Cal/.45-70 and .38-55).  I don't even know what the grain size distribution is for Reenactor, I know John Boy screened some right after it came out but I can't find his old posts on that.  I do know that the Skirmish I still have is 1F, they used to sell "3F" as well but it had other grain sizes mixed in.

To be totally honest I like Reenactor or Skirmish because it was mixed or larger grained powder.  I love the 10 foot long stream of fire out the muzzle on the shotgun, I like seeing streaming grains of burning powder shoot out of the muzzles of my revolvers, I like the belching smoke and the boom of a packed out and heavily compressed load of the Holy Black.  If I wanted clean, low smoke and quiet I would shoot .38 spl loads with red dot, bullseye or even Trail Boss.  Is that supposed to be PHUN??? If I don't smell like burnt sulfur, then I haven't shot a full match. 

Ahhhh... the Smell of burnt Black Powder in the Morning!  It smells like PHUN!

The "softer" fouling did interest me since I want to make it through a Cowboy Match without cleaning but the hotter powder goal he had didn't as much.  I may have to get myself a Southern Mountain kit and build myself a Flintlock, if I did I might even consider making some batches of powder based on Jake's methods.  I might even use Cottenell because that is an easy to source carbon.

Anyway!  back to Jake... He knocks it all down and says "seems okay to me..." after he destroys another myth.  I crack up!  It's true!  all of these wives tales and "everyone knows" fables are fair game for him.  John Kort and John Boy also knew that you didn't have full cases with 19th century cartridges from their investigation and measurement of actual cases, but somewhere along the line an "EXPERT" crept in and wrote on every bathroom wall at every gun range in America that these misconceptions about BP were true and immutable.

If you haven't followed Jake on Everything Black Powder (Youtube) then you should ("Seems okay to me...").

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com