GETTING PUSHEY

Started by Coffinmaker, August 04, 2024, 11:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffinmaker

:)  OK - WHERE'D EVRBODY GO  :(

Been several months now.  Been some really QUIET!!  Griff was our last contributater.

Personally, my current project is to put together a Brandy-Knew-Two-Me Henry Trapper.  I already have a "Factory" Trapper, but to run it with 10 in the Magazine, it has to be run with either Cowboy 45 Special or 45 Squirt.

Previously, I built a Carbine out of a 24 inch rifle but I've decided to take the 19 inch carbine back to a 16 inch carbine to enable shooting 45 Schofield cartridges.  Gonna be a fun project.

Whatcha gotz??

Garret

Good Day Coffinmaker and all you other Henry enthusiasts!

I know what you mean about it being quiet hereabouts lately.  Since it's been quite some time since I've posted, I can't complain though......Doldrums.....

Since my last entry I did add 2 Henrys to my "gaggle".....what would be an appropriate name for a group of more than 1...... not important but fun to think on.....
anyway, I added a blued, "Iron Frame" in .45 Colt as well as one of the "Transitional Henrys " also in .45, with the manual loading gate you have commented on before.  Luckily because of your comments I have not had the pleasure of experiencing the rapid unloading feature of this particular model.  It might be fun to do just for the heck of it....just for giggles.

I've only had these 2 out for their test runs with .45 Schofield and they both performed nicely, except for the fouling due to not having annealed the cases.  With your encouragement as well as others, I will be annealing these as well as the .44 Special for my first Henry.  I haven't tried 44 Colt or Russian yet in this, but will be annealing cases for both of these before my next foray.  I only shoot BP....no smokeless or subs in these.

Knowing that the Uberti "Transitional" is a fantasy item didn't phase me in making the purchase.  Technical advances intrigue me and I couldn't hep' mysef''.  I'm not a big fan of the checkering on the sliding forearm though.  It just don't look right!  I may try sanding it down, but that'll likely make it too thin.  Ponderation!

After seeing Godless and Michelle Dockery wielding her blued Henry, I had the bug for one.... It's a fun addition to the line.  I wish Uberti had produced it with the butt trap for the cleaning rod.  That's my only complain on the rifle.  Oh well, have to have something to complain about!

We'll, that's all I can come up with at the moment, at least regarding Henrys.  Not having a '66, I can't comment on those....Nifty though!

Keep well & safe!
Garret

DeaconKC

Picked up a new Uberti 1866 a couple months ago and just got to run it at a match 3 weeks ago. It ran perfectly but it is stiff. Got some new springs to put in and that should smooth it up a bit, NOT gonna touch that mean old hammer spring though!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Coffinmaker

:) Hey There Garret  ;)

Well gosh, lemma provide you some insight on your Uberti Henry "Transitional."  The Uberti Transitional itself is NOT a "Fantasy" item.  The rifle is actually historically correct.  The patent drawings for the original "Kings Patent" loading gate show the loading gate as used for the Uberti Transitional.  The only thing(s) about the rifle that qualify as "fantasy" are the caliber and that silly sliding forend thingie.  I personally only tried to use that thing only once.  Took it off and put it away.

Wish I'd seen that Transitional first  ;D

And I forgot.  I've actually seen SEVEN different iterations of the "Transition" guns that lead to the 1866.  They went from the Kings Patent, to the Kings Patent Improved, to the separate Tube magazine and to the layout we know as the 1866.  Winchester actually built one or two examples of the transitions guns and then actually sold them.  Most have gone to various "collections" and a couple simply disappeared, never to be seen again. 

Baltimore Ed

Love my Trapper builds. At cas ranges the short barrel makes no real difference. But it does speed up swinging it from target to target. Looking forward to viewing the results of your surgery. Hope the patient survives.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Garret

Deacon,
Nice on your new '66!  I have been periodically tempted to order a'66, as I do like the brass frame leverguns.
I don't blame you for leaving the hammer spring "as is" unless it was causing problems.

Baltimore,
I like the looks of the Trappers, as Coffin does too.  I haven't gone down tgat road since I don't shoot matches where a shorter, handier model helps.

Coffin,
Thnx for your input.  I do recognize that the Tansitional model was a real iteration in the evolution from the Henry to the '66.  I guess I should have re-phrased my comment.  What I was getting at is the manual gate "door" was never a production model and as such wouldn't have seen use out on the Frontier.  I sure like the looks though as well as the unique method of loading up the magazine!

Fun all around!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com