US Arms Abilene (No. Haven, Conn) 44mag revolver

Started by Doc Philmont, January 01, 2006, 12:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Philmont

Howdy y'all.  This here is Doc Cimarron, AKA Alan Eggleston, currently residing in Orange Park, Florida.  I got the name from being a PhD, and the place I love, Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron, NM. 

I just purchased the subject mentioned handgun, and know this is a "modern" firearm.  7.5 inch barrel, custom grip, and nice shooter.  I bought it used off GunBroker.com at a good price, and am pleased with it.  I also purchased a nice holster for it, and love the feel of wearing that firearm.  I have since purchased a Marlin 44mag lever action rifle from there, but have not received it as yet.  I should receive it this coming week (I think it's an 1897).

The next match is here in Jacksonville, FL on January 22, and am looking foward to going.    I may take the firearms, may not, as I need to practice, practice, practice first, get another handgun, a supplemental holster and a shotgun.  It will be interesting, to say the least.  My kids love to shoot, they have their own .22 rifles; my wife has her own Winchester 30-30 nickel plated lever action rifle, 12 ga. Remington 1187 semi-auto shotgun and a S & W Model 51 22 cal. 3.5" barrel revolver.  They even have their own aliases ready to register on Monday!

I hope to see some of you there.

Doc Cimarron

Evil Roy Slade

I've been shooting Abilene's since I started shooting CAS.  That's been quite a few years ago.  There are two weak spots in this firearm.  Both easily corrected.  The first is the trigger spring.  Take the gun apart and put a thin piece of leather (well soaked in oil) between the spring and the frame.  This will relieve some of the tension, otherwise the spring will break.  Tighten the screw until the spring applies a slight tension against the trigger.  Too little tension and the timing may be affected.  The other weak spot is the transfer bar.  There are three different type of transfer bars.  All can be replace with a Ruger bar, but you'll need the help of a small lathe.  The pin on the Ruger bar is a little larger than the one on the Abilene.  You may also need to change the base pin if yours doesn't have a spring and a pin in the end, one of the bars has a small leaf spring attached.  You may also need to shorten the Ruger part if you have the short type.  Send me an e-mail (the address is in my profile) and I can send you pictures of the three types of transfer bars.  I have Abilenes with all three types and I've used the Ruger parts in all of them.  If you have to use the Ruger part, get the stainless steel one.  I haven't broken one of those yet.  Once you start shooting the Abilene, you'll really like it.
Trust thy body all the days of thy life, for thy mind doth mess with thee.

Major 2

Good to see another Florida cracker cowboy on Cas City....
It's a stretch to Jax. from Cen. Fla. , But hope to meet up one day , welcome...
when planets align...do the deal !

Camille Eonich

"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com