Author Topic: Hammer Safety - Do I need it?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Revolvr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hammer Safety - Do I need it?
« on: December 31, 2005, 03:44:28 PM »

Howdy,

I was dry firing a Cimarron Model P when all of a sudden the action completely locked up. Couldn't budge a thing. After starin at it a bit and fiddlin, a small part fell out of the action - was caught in front of the hammer against the frame.

The part that fell out was part of the hammer safety. After the part fell out the action worked just fine.

So, what does this safety gadget do for me? What is it making me safe from???

These internal hammer parts do not show on the Uberti or Cimarron parts diagrams, although the hammer is called a "hammer assembly". I looked at other clones at the gun shop and I think all of them had this mechanism in the hammer. Then I looked at the actual Colts in another case, and none of them had this gadget.

I took the gun in for warrenty work. If they can replace just this part, fine. But if they have to replace the whole hammer, should I ask them to use a simpler replacement without this gadget? Seems like a useless breakable part to me.

Thanks,

-- Clay

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Hammer Safety - Do I need it?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 04:24:42 PM »
Revolvr, I'm no expert, I just play one on forums, but if it fell out of your gun I would say it was supposed to be there. If its a new gun, contact the manufacturer and they should repair it under their warranty. They may even pay shipping both ways. E-mail or call them with the problem and be sure to mention you're a SASS member or CAS shooter. None of those companies that make products for our sport want to get a bad reputation for quality in our ranks.

Additionally, some guns, like the Rugers, you can dry fire, while others you can't. If you dry fire some models, especially those with a hammer mounted firing pin, you need to use snap caps to keep them from breaking.

My best guess from your description is that the piece is part of a hammer block safety system to keep the weapon from firing if its dropped. I would consider that important since I don't like being shot.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 04:34:56 PM »
I have a pair of Weirauch pistols. In the US they are known as EAA Bounty Hunter's

They have the hammer safety block, which they licenced from Ruger.

I had exactly the same problem you have just had.

My solution. (they weren't under warranty)

I bought a new set of hammers with the transfer bars. Put them aside.

Took the old set out, took them to an engineering shop and had them built up with weld and case hardened.

Put them back into the pistols minus the transfer bars.

Now the hammers strike directly onto the firing pins rather than onto the transfer bars and then the firing pins.

My way of thinking is that it is one less thing to go wrong in a match. Now the trigger doesnt have to raise the transfer bar either (lighter?)

Why the new set of hammers and bars?

In case I ever decide to sell them I can put them back to stock.

Dai.

The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:13:53 PM »

Offline Revolvr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 05:39:49 PM »

This isn't the transfer bar safety like on Ruger's. This is an 1873 replica with the firing pin on the hammer. With or without this part that broke off, the hammer still has the three detent positions. My only guess so far is that this safety might prevent firing if the base pin were to work loose. The base pin is held in place by one screw which I suppose could come loose in shooting. If the screw came loose I'm sure the base pin would go flying on the next shot.

Offline E.R.Beaumont

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 09:25:29 PM »
Howdy Pards.

Revolvr, Pard there is a rod that runs up the inside of the hammer and moves a "flapper" it is linked to the trigger.  The "flapper" keeps the hammer from going all the way forward so the pin dosen't hit the primer.

Now this is all based on old Ubertis as the new ones usr the longer base pin.  I don't know which parts are important or which parts might fall into the action and jam it up good.  I think that if the flapper fell off the gun would still shoot.  However if the rod broke it might bind up the works, and keep the "safety" from being turned off.  If you live in the right place the best thing to do might be to put a cartridge in and see if it pops.

That is all I think I know.
Regards, Beaumont
SASS Life#21319
NRA Life, Endowment
CCRKBA Life

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 09:31:36 PM »
The above comment on being able to return them to stock configuration is good.

Absolute Worst-Case Scenario - you remove a manufacturer's required safety device and something untoward happens - 'you' are on the hook for purposely making it unsafe - regardless of 'who' pulled the trigger...

Were you to ask a manufacturer to replace thepart while undergoing Warranty work - he won't do so - because if he did - then 'he' would be on that same hook.

We live in a litigious society and there are folks that hope and pray for things like this.

Just a thought.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 05:15:04 PM »
How old is the Cimarron?  The new ones now do not have the hammer safety BS.  I would replace it with a non safety hammer from Cimarron available on their website and make sure I carried it with the hammer down on an empty chamber.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com