Annealing .45 Colt

Started by LonesomePigeon, July 19, 2022, 07:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LonesomePigeon

Trying my hand at annealing. The cases are .45 Colt. I used a propane torch and drill to turn the case mouths in the flame for about 4 - 6 seconds. At 4 - 6 seconds I did not really see any of them start to glow. If anything, they just turned a slight brownish color. I am not sure if it actually annealed them but I was more afraid of over-annealing.

I did run a few cases to glowing red and it took probably 10 - 15 seconds or more to really get the case mouths to glow red. These ones were just a test and were discarded.

My question is, at 4 - 6 seconds I am not really sure they were fully annealed, is there any safety hazard with using under annealed cases?

Silver Creek Slim

Why are you annealing the cases?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

LonesomePigeon

Just to make them last longer. I would be shooting them out of an SAA.

Coffinmaker

:)  LonesomePigeon  ;)

There is no hazard associated with "under" annealed cases.  With my personal method, I get colour change is about 6 seconds.  I count the seconds off, "Thousand One, Thousand Two, Thousand Three, etc., and get consistent colour change.

In the past, I have not recommended annealing for pistol cases.  The will expand well enough to become hard to extract from the average pistol cylinder.  I also don't consider annealing as a viable (efficient) method to extend case life.  Annealing is most useful to eliminate Chamber Blow-By in rifles.  Just my take.

Play Safe Out There

Coal Creek Griff

I use the drill method to anneal my cases. I dim the lights and hold the heat on them until they barely start to glow, certainly not until they are glowing a bright red. This has worked for me to reduce blow-by and extend case life in rifles and revolvers. I haven't run into any real issues with it. Under annealing won't harm anything, but it won't really help anything either.

Just my experience and peace.

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

August

A wheat, or as you describe it 'brown' color is the goal. If they are glowing red, they are on the edge of destruction.  As soon as they're a wheat/yellow, drop 'em in the water and carry on with the next one.  I'm not convinced it is necessary to spin them.  I just set them with the base of the case in water, run a torch over them, and tip them over.

The value to me of annealing is in reloading -- sizing, belling, bullet seating, and crimping all happen more smoothly and consistently with annealed cases -- those are the stages in a case's life where work hardening is mostly accrued.  In these times of unavailable components, preserving cases is more important than in more normal times.

LonesomePigeon

1961MJS

Hi
An additional advantage to annealing is that the case expands to minimize blow by in .45 Colt and .45 Schofield cases. 
Lalter
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Bunk

I solved the blow by problem in my rifle by fire forming .44-40 thin mouth cases to .45 Colt. Works in a rifle will NOT work in a revolver because of some case head size difference.
Worked for me. Starline .44-40 cases have a straight case wall it is not a hard job and you get to shoot not labor over a hot burner.
Bunk

1961MJS

Quote from: Bunk on November 01, 2022, 01:37:38 PM
I solved the blow by problem in my rifle by fire forming .44-40 thin mouth cases to .45 Colt. Works in a rifle will NOT work in a revolver because of some case head size difference.
Worked for me. Starline .44-40 cases have a straight case wall it is not a hard job and you get to shoot not labor over a hot burner.
Bunk
Hi Bunk
I'd try that, but I already have a LOT of .45 Colt and more .45 Schofield. 
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Baltimore Ed

Never annealed any .45 colt but I don't shoot black.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com