gunoholic

Started by Major 2, September 28, 2019, 02:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Major 2

I am the current caretaker of modest handful of Milsurp's with a provenance.
Some have so called Bring back (capture) papers, a couple of others have a letter attesting the piece's signed history.

My Ithica 1911 is such, I acquired it from the actual pilot.
I met him and his daughter and purchased the piece.
William F. Roberts was a pilot in the Army Air Force during World War II. He flew 50 combat missions in the B-26 Marauder over Italy, France and Germany.

ROBERTS,
WILLIAM FRANKLIN
William Franklin Roberts, 97, died on August 11, 2019 in Gainesville, Georgia.
Born February 16, 1922 in Jacksonville Florida, William served as a B-26 Marauder pilot with the 386th Bomb Group, 555th Bomb Squadron during World War II. He flew 50 combat missions and was in Paris on VE-Day.
when planets align...do the deal !

Baltimore Ed

Shot these at our BAMM Saturday, my cut 1903 Springfield, a Husqvarna Swede, a Crazy Lee Model 12 and my cut No1 MkIII. Forgot to put my Auto Ordnance 1911 on the table. Had decent weather, 9 shooters, 4 cas- 5 boltgunners. Forgot my stripper clips for the 303 so it killed my time. Had one duelist pistol miss. 2nd place BAMM. A good day. The furry hat was the best I could do for my Swede. Wore a DI hat for the 03 and a British looking thing for the Enfield. Used each gun in 2 scenarios.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Major 2

Major 2

Shooting those old warriors is lots of fun.
In my case, I down load my brass in my BOLT Guns and only reach out 50yds.

The exception is my Garand, for which I bought a supply of Sellier & Bellot M2 ball for Garand in bulk at the Melbourne Fl. gun show in 2020.
My 30/06 hand loads with Trailboss, I figured wasn't going to cycle the Garand reliably anyway.

Trailboss in Milsurps is the BOMB and I have working loads for the aforementioned 30/06,
303 Brit, and 30/40 Krag, that is pleasant to shoot.
I also have a load in French Lebel, all and above-mentioned using cast bullets.
Many thanks to Dakota Ike who cast my Lebel bullets.

Major 2

I omitted the mention of Mosin Nagant  7.62×54mmR.
I was given this one and so far, it has been regulated to wall hanger status.

My friend and I did shoot it when it was his, with surplus Russki ammo and recoil was some MEAN.
Dennis did give me some of the that surplus ammo, still in the original paper wrap.
But, I have no desire to shoot that stuff.

I don't have 7.62×54 brass (* except the surplus stuff *) or dies,
I do have some Missouri Bullets Co. cast lead. and I could extrapolate a load from the 30-40 Krag and 303 Brit for the reduced loads as they are similar in case capacity.  :-\

* should I ever decide to pull the bullets :-\
not to mention the primers are Berdan type   ::)

Silver Creek Slim

Here are the most recent that followed me home. Ruger Service-Six, Taurus 66 and S&W 66-8. The Taurus 66 is their version of the S&W 686 plus. BTW, the cartridges are WCC .38 Spl +P+ "law enforcement only" from 1984, which is what these pistols carry when they are on my hip.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

DeaconKC

Slim, those are some fine looking sixguns! I had one follow me home today too, a Ruger Mini-30 [fires the 7.62x39 round]. Very clean little gun.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Major 2

I bought a Mini 14 back in 79-80 an 180- series as I recall, in .223.
It was blued and had a wood stock, sometime before they were call the Ranch Rifle and I believe before the Synthetic Stock was offered.
At some point I allowed it to get away, sadly I wish I had not.
However, I understand the early guns are no longer supported by Ruger or aftermarket and parts are becoming scarce. 
It was a way different time then! and it often rode in my rear window rack in my GMC Pickup.

Story

6.5mm Model 1891 Carcano dated 1896, so an antique.
Bore good enough that I collected a pile of ammunition and clips.

Fun fact - in the novel Beau Geste, the deserters collect some of these after escaping the fort.

pony express

Is that one of the batch recently imported from Ethiopia? I got one a few years back, it was the short TS carbine. Was in pretty good shape for being stored for years in Africa.

Major 2

Cool, looks pretty good.

DeaconKC

Well, I went and done it again. Went in to work today and my boss hands me a Tisas 1911 he bought yesterday and says This thing is NASTY. Can you clean it?" So I innocently go back to the counter where we keep the supplies. This poor little beast is beat up, somebody tried to make it look better by giving it a thick coat of shiny black rattle can paint [it didn't work] and it is so cruddy I have to take a bushing wrench to get the bushing to budge. Finally got the bushing loose, and yes, I did launch it when it finally came free, and then saw the filthiest 1911 I have seen in years. Seriously, only a loose 1911 or a Glock would run that dirty. Half an hour later, I did have it as clean as I could get it without detail stripping after a soak in mineral spirits. It now will cycle smoothly, so my boss gave me a good price and I will bring it home Saturday after payday. This poor little beast will get properly scrubbed, stripped and a decent finish applied. Then it will serve as my new WB gun. Pics when completed.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Major 2

Around Christmas season "22" I think it was, Rural King had sale on Tisas 1911's
brand new for $249.
The closest RK was 72 miles (then) and I was just giddy to go grab one.
Well, one thing or another and I procrastinated::) and did not go.
Sometimes it pains I didn't get one.
Now Rural King has a location 1/2 the distance, and the Tisas 1911 is twice as much.

looking forward to the photos

Silver Creek Slim

Good for you, Deacon.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Coal Creek Griff

Quote from: Major 2 on September 11, 2024, 10:27:03 PMAround Christmas season "22" I think it was, Rural King had sale on Tisas 1911's
brand new for $249.
The closest RK was 72 miles (then) and I was just giddy to go grab one.
Well, one thing or another and I procrastinated::) and did not go.
Sometimes it pains I didn't get one.
Now Rural King has a location 1/2 the distance, and the Tisas 1911 is twice as much.

$300 at PSA at the moment:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sds-1911-government-45-acp-5-7rd-pistol-parkerized-1911atgovt.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=daily_deals&utm_campaign=am&utm_term=09-13-2024&utm_content=51655158560

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Major 2

SDS is not a Tisas , its made by Armscor = read Rock Island still a nice gun @ a super good buy

Hair Trigger Jim

The second "image" for that gun at PSA says Tisas in the top left corner and SDS in the bottom left.

Coal Creek Griff

Quote from: Hair Trigger Jim on September 13, 2024, 03:38:07 PMThe second "image" for that gun at PSA says Tisas in the top left corner and SDS in the bottom left.

That and some comments in the reviews and questions are what I was going by, but I have no direct knowledge.

Edit: When Google the UPC # from the PSA website, Tisas pistols come up.

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Major 2

Ah OK I see that now....so either or ?  :-\

Hair Trigger Jim

I think PSA carries/carried both brands.  But SDS imports the Tisas pistols.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com