Very Important Day In History

Started by Delmonico, November 23, 2005, 09:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcey

George Petty was known for calendars, ads 'n pin ups. Nose art was done by military personnel.

Tex, correct me if I'm wrong.

Nose art:

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Leo Tanner

Mebbe true, but at least it caused ya ta post a picture that someone very close ta ma heart will love ::)
     As far as I know, that was the paintin on the Memphhis Belle.  He may have redone it.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Texas Lawdog

The Nose Art was painted by either members of the airplane crew or a member of the ground crew. I'm sure they used tracings from posters and magazines and then painted the figures.   That's our B24 Diamond LiL.   Thanks Arcey.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Four-Eyed Buck

Arcey, The girl on your Zippo is the same one used on the "Memphis Belle". It's too so many of those planes got scrapped in the years after the war. some of that artwork was phenominal...............Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Arcey

Wouldn't doubt crews fashioned their art after that of Petty, or Vargas for that matter. Just that I've never seen nose art actually attributed to either. 
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Four-Eyed Buck

The only attributal art during the war was the stuff Disney did for the Navy, individual ships or MTB squadrons. He got into this because of Bulkley's MTB's being called Uncle Sam's Mickey Mouse fleet. He did one for Buckley once he got stateside, and it kinda caught on with the Navy........................Buck 8) ::) ;)

Texas Lawdog

Someone preserved some of this Nose Art for the CAF.  When the planes were being scraped, someone with a torcj cut the Nose Art out of the fuselage. We have a buch of these pieces Hanging in the Large hangar at Midland, Texas
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Arcey

Ya think they'd look good copied to a WESTERN AIRLINES airplane? Maybe plane NUMBER THREE

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Arcey on August 22, 2008, 06:07:53 PM
Ya think they’d look good copied to a WESTERN AIRLINES airplane? Maybe plane NUMBER THREE

Where's 40 Rod? 

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Texas Lawdog

Pinup pictures have always been popular with the miltary.  Airplanes have sometimes be considered as being female, so I guess havin' a picture of a beautilful female on the Nose of the aircraft was that was done a lot.

Leo Tanner

Hey, if I were a long way from home an guys were shootin at me, a Vargas or Petty would be awfull nice ta look at as I climbed that ladder.  Aint pithcers of real wimmin, but I imagine it reminded guys what they was puttin there butts on the line fer.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Texas Lawdog

The ground crews worked on these planes day and night. They spent all their waking hours on the flightline or hangar. These planes were their mistress, so the portraits on the Nose were their dream girls.

Four-Eyed Buck

Or they pilot sometimes named the plane after girlfriends, wives, or even their Mom's. IE: Glamourous Glinnis( Chuck Yeager), Enola Gay( Col. Tibbets). Nose art was banned after the Korean War, IIRC. Too bad, it gave those planes some character.....................Buck 8) ;)

Texas Lawdog

A picture of a naked woman can take a man's mind off war.

Leo Tanner

Roland Deschain

Delmonico

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Leo Tanner

Roland Deschain

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

Texas Lawdog

Ozark Tracker

Quote from: Leo Tanner on August 23, 2008, 02:41:41 PM
Just ask Helen.

heck,  I didn't know you knew Helen Wisdom,  I remember that time she peeled off her shirt and whipped J.T. with it,  liked to have caused a small war.  :o
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com