Very Important Day In History

Started by Delmonico, November 23, 2005, 09:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

Not a bad one, I've seen it a few times, may see it again some time.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Texas Lawdog

It shows all the mistakes that the US made over here on the mainland and HawaII. It was a terrible defeat for the US, but it put a fire in the American people and brought everyone together for one common goal.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Tensleep

Today

1935 Wiley Post & Will Rogers killed in plane crash in Alaska
1864 Off New England coast, CSS Tallahassee captures 6 yankee schooners
1870 Transcontinental Railway actually completed

Hawaii : Admission Day (1959) - - - - - ( Friday )
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Texas Lawdog

The "Winnie Mae" was the name of Wiley's plane. I built a model of it when I was a kid.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Ozark Tracker

just south of the Oklahoma State Capitol is the air museum of Oklahoma,  at one time they had a replica of the Winnie Mae and several of the items that Will Rogers was carrying was when the plane went down.
Across the street at the Naval Museum they have the Brass wheel from the Oklahoma and several items from it, after it was sank during the bombing at Pearl Harbor.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Arcey

It was worth the time to watch. Pretty much in line with what I've read. Bet it cost a dollar or three to make.

Had a problem with some of the subtitles, in white, against white or light colored items in the background. Thought some of the in-flight close ups of the airplanes was hokey lookin'.

We have this 'Fighter Factory' thing out in Creeks. WWII aircraft. Didn't know it was there until a couple months ago when a restored Russian fighter had it landin' gear collapse 'n the paper reported it. Sayin' it's open to the public but apparently they don't advertise.

Been meanin' ta ask Tex if he knew anythin' 'bout it with his CAF participation 'n all.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Texas Lawdog

Arcey, I have not heard of that outfit. There is abig restoration outfit in kississimmee florida. I've been to that one. I saw a P51 and a P47 in crates that had been bought in Central or South America. I will have to check that place in Virginia when I come to visit you guys in Va.

Arcey

Holler when ya get here, Tex. The place is out in the country, damned near to Carolina. I know the area. It's on the land of a closed down airfield. Held drag racin' there when I was a kid. Same place where we went for anti-lock brake train' 'n diplomat protection drivin' techniques. Just ain't sure where the hangar is. Never had a reason ta look.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Texas Lawdog

I love them Ol' Warplanes. Being in the CAF and being able to travel on my job, I have gotten to see alot of those old planes. Car Racin' and Ol' Warplanes are two of my greatest interests.

Arcey

Couldn't have been any more wrong. Had a few errands ta run so I took a ride. Not quite 45 minutes from my place 'n it's new construction. That's why I'd never noticed it before, it wasn't there. Ain't been that far south on Princess Anne since the range was shut down.

Offices/Museum sandwiched between two hangars, all one hunk. From the east side parkin' lot I could see a Corsair in the east hangar from the back of the buildin'. The runway is grass. Only had about a dozen cars in the lot, one with Canadian tags. Would have gone in but I didn't have the time I'd have wanted to look around 'n I didn't have a pony tail holder with me.

Got a couple pics but Shutterfly won't let me post 'em. Need to open a Photo Bucket account.

Texas Lawdog

Arcey, Did you see a name anywhere, maybe they got a web-site?

Arcey

Arcey

Opps..... Jumped the beep. The runway is along the tree line. The concrete pad is at the back of the buildin'.

Texas Lawdog

That looks a Navy version of the AT-6 Texan(AT- Advanced Trainer).  That[s a good picture anyway.

Arcey

Texas Lawdog

THat plane is a North American SNJ 4, Navy version of the Texan.   British called them Harvards.

Arcey

Texas Lawdog

Yep, I'm definitely goin' out there for a visit.

Arcey

All kiddin' aside. Let me know. From where you'd get inta this area 'n there, there's a thousand places to make a wrong turn. Princess Anne Road in 'n of itself is screwed up beyond a rational person's belief. Let me know where ya are I'll come get ya 'n take ya or ya can follow me. It's easy for me.

Maybe we kin talk LIT inta comin' along.   

Leo Tanner

The gull-wing Corsair has always been a favorite.  Learned about it from my Dad when we built a Marine version model way back when.  Engine was said ta be so powerfull most pilots couldn't keep er under control.  I'd love ta see some close up shots of the one in yer neck of the woods if ya get the chance.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com