Very Important Day In History

Started by Delmonico, November 23, 2005, 09:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Lawdog

John Wayne is born on this date in 1907.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Leo Tanner

Today marks the anniversary of the 1944 invasion of Normandy by Allied forces.
     It's commonly known as D Day, but was officialy code named "Operation Overland".

Time ta break out my copy of "The Longest Day"

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Russ T Chambers

Been watching (listening while I painted the hallway) the History Channel all day.  Wall to wall coverage of D-Day.  Guest it ends at 4 PM EDT.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Leo Tanner

Dang I missed it.
     The last show is ending in 10 minutes. :(  The girls were watchin soaps.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Texas Lawdog

We had a guy in the civil division that was in D-Day invasion. He was barely 17 and was in the 2nd Infantry Division.  He was in the Army until the end of WWII.  He joined the Air Force in 1950 and was in the Korean War. He stayed in the Air Force until he retired. He served in RVN also.  Three Wars and he worked long inough at the Sheriff's Office and retired from there. He was in his late 70's when he passed away.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Four-Eyed Buck

Leo, It was Operation Overlord............Buck 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Four-Eyed Buck on June 06, 2008, 06:25:24 PM
Leo, It was Operation Overlord............Buck 8)

Good catch Buck.  Had too many things coming at me here when I posted that (it don't take much).  I don't usualy botch them things--love history too much.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Four-Eyed Buck

It's okay, Leo, my fingers trip up right regular too................Buck 8) ::) ;D
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Texas Lawdog

On this day in 1776, Richard Henry Lee of Virginia, adopted a resolution in the Contiental Congress for a formal Declaration of Independence.

Leo Tanner

Today in 1876 Thomas Edison patented the mimeograph machine.
     Remember sniffin the fresh papers when the teacher passed em out?  We called it a ditto machine.

Roland Deschain

Texas Lawdog

Tricky Dick resigned as President on this date in 1974.

Leo Tanner

He was not a crook.
     Always wondered what happened ta that little dog a his that won so many folks over.  That was just plain genious.  Fergot it's name.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Russ T Chambers

Quote from: Leo Tanner on August 08, 2008, 03:47:55 PM
He was not a crook.
     Always wondered what happened ta that little dog a his that won so many folks over.  That was just plain genious.  Fergot it's name.

Leo

Checkers died in 1964, and is buried in Long Island's Bide-a-Wee Pet Cemetery.
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Leo Tanner

Yeah, Checkers.  Cute little guy.
     If'n I ever get ta Long Island ta sample the ice tea, I'll stop by and pay ma respects.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Russ T Chambers

Quote from: Leo Tanner on August 08, 2008, 04:07:37 PM
Yeah, Checkers.  Cute little guy.
     If'n I ever get ta Long Island ta sample the ice tea, I'll stop by and pay ma respects.

Leo

I had twelve of those teas one night at a going away party when I left my job at Pacific Mutual in Newport Beach.   :o The one time I couldn't walk steadily to my car.  ::)  My future wife was with me to drive, but I had to stay awake to give her directions to my house in Oceanside!  I was about twenty years younger then!  What ticked her off was I didn't get sick, just had a bad case of cotten mouth the next morning!  ;D
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Leo Tanner

Ya know I never had a hang over.  Drives Lil nuts.  I wake up a little tired but fit ta fight.  She's in bed all day after over imbibing.       
     We went out once early in the day an stopped at are favorite watering hole.  She asked the tender fer somthin "fruity" and got it in a pint glass.  Well, they went down easy an she had a few.  I sipped a beer the whole time.
     Got her home and she was in a spunky mood.  Two seconds later she was in the bathroom sayin prayers ta the porcialn god.  She never did that again. ;D

Leo

Roland Deschain

Delmonico

Quote from: Leo Tanner on August 08, 2008, 03:10:38 PM
Today in 1876 Thomas Edison patented the mimeograph machine.
     Remember sniffin the fresh papers when the teacher passed em out?  We called it a ditto machine.

Today they'd call that huffin', no wonder we all have brain damage. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Ozark Tracker

Quote from: Delmonico on August 08, 2008, 05:09:06 PM
Today they'd call that huffin', no wonder we all have brain damage. ;D

:o :o :o  we did have a teacher in 5th grade that was down there a making copies an awful lot.   she never was quite right. ;D
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Texas Lawdog

Remember Royal Dano's character "Ditto" in the movie  "Teachers".

Tensleep

On this date

1855 Battle of Acapulco during Mexican Liberal uprising
1862 Prelude to 2nd Manassas, Jackson is victorious at Battle of Cedar Mt, however Gen Charles S Winder is killed
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com