Very Important Day In History

Started by Delmonico, November 23, 2005, 09:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

litl rooster

Quote from: Ozark Tracker on March 11, 2008, 07:16:39 PM

with a little luck ya could'a been one of them Rear Admirals  instead of just a Rear Admirer ;D

if'n you was a gub'ner you could be both ;D
Mathew 5.9

Ozark Tracker

Quote from: litl rooster on March 11, 2008, 07:28:47 PM

be good work if ya could keep it under wraps  ;D   
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Trinity

Quote from: Ozark Tracker on March 11, 2008, 07:16:39 PM

with a little luck ya could'a been one of them Rear Admirals  instead of just a Rear Admirer ;D

Quote from: litl rooster on March 11, 2008, 07:28:47 PM

;D ;D

Quote from: Arcey on March 11, 2008, 07:27:45 PM
Been on the Carolina in Wilmington. There were plans to get her out of the mud 'n bring her here for hull refurbishment. While she was gone, the visitors' center was going to be rebuilt. But now they're worried her hull is so thin in places she may sink if they try to move her to Norfolk.

One of our shooters, Lynn Johnson AKA Wild Bill Wesley, grew up in Carolina back in the 50's.. Remembers makin' penny 'n nickel donations in elementary school so the state could buy her 'n save her from the ship breakers.

Ain't goin' on another rant no one wants ta read but I wish the state of  Washington had done the same for her sister. She's razor blades, long gone 'n rusted away.

I sure wish they could do something about the NC.  It will be a real shame if she has to give in to rust. :(
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Four-Eyed Buck

I'll have to talk to Susie 'bout that one, Arcey. Would love to see one of the Iowa's ,too. The "Showboat" is one of my favorites too. Had a model of her when I was young. I also need to get to Lancaster county as my family was from there at one time. Still trying to find the town/village mentioned in the family history, doesn't exist on any maps that I can find. Might be in the area of the pre-WW II emergency field they had there.............Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Ozark Tracker

when we were over in Muskogee,  they brought in a WW2 combat Submarine, the Batfish,  they towed it up the Arkansas River all the way to Muskogee, built a docking facility there on the banks of the river,  it's been there probably 20 years now.   It's just across the river from the old Fort, at Ft. Gibson,  it was a cool tour.  sure wasn't much room in them subs.

http://www.ussbatfish.com/
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Trinity

I love submarines.  There was (probably still is) one next to the Yorktown.  I'm glad I toured it then, because there is little chance of my being able to negotiate the ladders anymore. :o
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Arcey

They ain't gonna let her rust away. The engineers will figure somethin' out. What they wanna do is get 'er outtah that ditch 'n in the river where she can float. Easily moved for regular maintenance.

Read representatives of the memorial have made a trip downtown to see how the Navy berthed the Wisconsin. BB64 still belongs to the Navy. If the city hadn't done it right the Navy wouldn't have parked her there. They were right picky, thank ya.

BTW, not a penny of tax money went into the acquisition of BB55.

Buck, yep. She was the Showboat. What ya lookin' for in Virginia? I got some old reference.

I'd love ta see a Fleetboat. There's one in Charleston with the Yorktown.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Trinity

I haven't kept up with the latest on her in quite some time.  That's a relief to read.

Sod Buster

I've been on the Wisconsin.  Visited her shortly after she arrived in Norfolk. Also been to the Mariner's Museum and many other places in the HAmpton Roads area. 

Trinity, if you get the chance there is lots to see at many places.  Even the Army's Transportation Mueseum at Ft. Eustis is interesting....as well as Langley AFB.  Lots of NASA stuff was going on there.
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Four-Eyed Buck

Looking for a village(?) called Caroline in Lancaster county. Might have been just a cross roads with a general store/ post office. Checked with the fella that is in charge of the maps/zoning in Lancaster and he had no clue, at least over the phone. ::)
We have a fleet boat up in Cleveland, the Cod. She's still in WW II configureation and has one the few working TDC's( Torpedo Data Computer).
www.usscod.org

Tensleep

Three Army museums at Ft Lee just 30 minutes from Blackcreek, not to mention, Petersburg National Battlefield, Cold Harbor Battlefield, Drewry's Bluff, Chickahominy Battlefield, Museum of the Confederacy, and Confederate White House.

Then there is Lee's Headquarters at Colonial Heights, Pamplin Park Museum of the Confederate Soldier.... and on and on...

All of these minutes away from Richmond.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Trinity

I've been to a few of those sites.  There's a ton of cool civil war stuff to see in VA.

Arcey

Quote from: Tensleep on March 11, 2008, 08:58:11 PM
Three Army museums at Ft Lee just 30 minutes from Blackcreek, not to mention, Petersburg National Battlefield, Cold Harbor Battlefield, Drewry's Bluff, Chickahominy Battlefield, Museum of the Confederacy, and Confederate White House.

Then there is Lee's Headquarters at Colonial Heights, Pamplin Park Museum of the Confederate Soldier.... and on and on...

All of these minutes away from Richmond.

Fort Darlin'. Never been. The scene of the defeat of the Monitor. Need ta see it.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Four-Eyed Buck

IIRC, It was an earth and log redoubt. Situated on a high bluff above the river. The Monitor's guns couldn't be elevated high enough to hit it, took a pounding without doing much to the fort..............Buck 8) ::)

Arcey

....'n a lot of folks that shot at 'em before. The Virginia had been destroyed at Craney Island. The crew of the Virginia went to Ft. Darlin'. Reckon they had a grudge on.

I'll see what I have on Caroline. 

litl rooster

I remember the USS Cod being berthed next the old Lake Front Stadium  on 9th st if I remenber correctly.   My photographic mind is out of film ;D
Mathew 5.9

Arcey

Bunch ah ole boys took some ships out on the Atlantic towards the end of WWII. Decided they were goin' fishin'. They didn't wanna sink a U-Boat, they wanted ta catch one.

Damned if they didn't. The thing is on display taday in Chicago like a stuffed swordfish. 

Steel Horse Bailey

... And a fine lookin' swordfish it is, too. 

The U-505 website: http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/U505/index.html
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Four-Eyed Buck

The Cod is on the Lake Front, East 9th, IIRC. It's by the Coast Guard Station and Rock'N'Roll Hall of Fame. The William G. Mather Museum ship is close by as well...............Buck 8)

litl rooster

Quote from: Four-Eyed Buck on March 12, 2008, 05:08:10 AM
The Cod is on the Lake Front, East 9th, IIRC. It's by the Coast Guard Station and Rock'N'Roll Hall of Fame. The William G. Mather Museum ship is close by as well...............Buck 8)

Same place then they tore down the old stadium to build more space for the R&R Hall of fame.  The old stadium wasn't quite gone when I was there last (but mostly demo'd) Montana I spend the day going thru looking at the Hall of Fame

I have never heard of the Mathers.....I believeit's in Vermilion or Huron the Great Lakes Maritime Mus, have you been there?
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com