Very Important Day In History

Started by Delmonico, November 23, 2005, 09:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Creek Slim

I ordered both movies thru the library.  :)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Silver Creek Slim

Today is Abraham Lincoln's birthday.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Trinity

Hoooray!  That means that JC Penny's having a white sale!!!! ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Ozark Tracker

Just happen to notice this one is was yesterday.

March 6:   the fall of the Alamo
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Texas Lawdog

The Battle flags from the Alamo are displayed in a museum in Mexico. It would be nice if the Mexican Government would return them to the Alamo to be put on display.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Trinity

That would be nice, but: to the victors belong the spoils.

If there wouldn't run the risk of being mugged or kidnapped, I guess it would make a good trip to go see them. ;D

I'll bet there a bunch of Egyptians that would like to see some of their ancient artifacts on display in museums around the world also returned home.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Four-Eyed Buck

They've been working on it, Trinity. I've seen several news stories over the last couple years about Dr. Zahi Hawass going to different country's and returning with artifacts that had been taken during the 1800's by European " archeologists". Mostly royal mummies, IIRC. He's been quite vocal about getting things returned to Egypt, sort of like the South American countries are doing with Indian artifacts.................Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Trinity

I've got real mixed feelings about that.  On one hand, I feel the country of origin should be where the stuff should be located, but, on the other hand, I realize that it is difficult for the rest of the folks who are interested but live far away.

About fifteen years ago I was in Turin and visited the Museo Egizio (Egyptian Museum).  At the time it housed the largest collection of artifacts outside of Cairo.  I don't know if it is still so or not.  Among other things, I was really amazed at the number of mummies in different stages of unwrapping that they had on display.  Since then, we have all learned that mummies are nothing of a rarity, but it is still an interesting sight to see the skin still intact on a body dead already several thousands of years.

I never would have had the time or money to make a trip to Cairo, and don't think I would do it today at all.  So that means that I wouldn't have been able to see the stuff except for in books, TV or internet.

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Arcey

And, here I am. 30 minutes from artifacts of the USS Monitor 'n I haven't gone to look.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Texas Lawdog

SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Trinity

Heck, now I know what to see next on my next trip to VA. ;D

Arcey

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on March 10, 2008, 04:51:20 PM
Shame on You, Arcey!

Guilty.......

Trin-Man, it's about an hour from Black Creek. Maybe a little less dependin' on how many idiots are on the interstate in Williamsburg.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Four-Eyed Buck

It's on my list, Arcey. I'd love to see them up close.
On the other hand, the Pro Football Hall Of Fame is right here in my town and I've never been in there. During Hall Of Fame Week, the farther from the goings on, the better for me..................Buck 8) ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Arcey

Ain't it a bite? I've been to Canton. BTW, it was snowin'. Hehehehe, Pleazin' 'n me even found a McDonalds whut still had the 'Golden Arches' just down the road from the Hall. They'd already tore 'em off here.

Been to the Mariners Museum many times but not since the Monitor exhibit has been open. The place is really nice, I think. The way it's grown it almost takes two days to see it all. The USS Wisconsin is just down the road in Norfolk. Walk the decks of an Honest Ta Pete battleship.

Anyone wantin' ta take the trip lemme know. Be a good way to meet up 'n press the flesh eye ta eye.

Delmonico

I've been to every museum in Lincoln, 'cept the National RollerSkatin' one. Should hit that one someday in memory of great Uncle Walt, skated into his 80's.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Arcey

Ain't got one ah them.

Went on school field trips with the girls when they were little. Never missed one. Lots ah good memories.  Hehehehehehehe. Climbed up the Cape Henry light house. That's a lotta steps. I was up top helpin' the kids up. L'il ole boy gets there 'n says, 'Mister, I gottah pee........' Uhhhhhhhhhhhh... NOT HERE!!

'Nother time, me 'n the bus driver was shootin' the bull durin' a lunch break in Jamestown. Kid walks up 'n sez, 'Ya have a gun, Allison (my oldest) told me'. Asked 'im where I had a gun. 'It's stuck in yer pants.' Pulled my shirt up 'n said nope. It was in an ankle holster.

'Ali, come here. We need ta talk a minute – in private.'

All I can think of I ain't been to is the Childrens Museum 'n the Virginia Hall of Sports Fame. Ain't really interested in either.

Trinity

I'd surely like to make it to see those artifacts.  Maybe I can make it part of my TIB IV trip.  We'll see what the gas prices say.

I've seen two US naval ships: the USS North Carolina (BB-55) here in NC and the USS Yorktown (CV-10) in Charleston, SC.  When I was about to graduate high school, I was trying to figure out how to proceed with my life.  I filled out a few college applications, but was really unsure how to pay for it.  I finally decided to join the Navy and take the GI bill.  I had already been to the naval recruitment office and taken some tests before my Father announced that he would pay for college.

I don't regret having gone to school, but sometimes I wonder where I'd be if I had taken the other route. 

Ozark Tracker

Quote from: Trinity on March 11, 2008, 06:52:37 PM
I'd surely like to make it to see those artifacts.  Maybe I can make it part of my TIB IV trip.  We'll see what the gas prices say.

I've seen two US naval ships: the USS North Carolina (BB-55) here in NC and the USS Yorktown (CV-10) in Charleston, SC.  When I was about to graduate high school, I was trying to figure out how to proceed with my life.  I filled out a few college applications, but was really unsure how to pay for it.  I finally decided to join the Navy and take the GI bill.  I had already been to the naval recruitment office and taken some tests before my Father announced that he would pay for college.

I don't regret having gone to school, but sometimes I wonder where I'd be if I had taken the other route. 

with a little luck ya could'a been one of them Rear Admirals  instead of just a Rear Admirer ;D
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Arcey

Been on the Carolina in Wilmington. There were plans to get her out of the mud 'n bring her here for hull refurbishment. While she was gone, the visitors' center was going to be rebuilt. But now they're worried her hull is so thin in places she may sink if they try to move her to Norfolk.

One of our shooters, Lynn Johnson AKA Wild Bill Wesley, grew up in Carolina back in the 50's.. Remembers makin' penny 'n nickel donations in elementary school so the state could buy her 'n save her from the ship breakers.

Ain't goin' on another rant no one wants ta read but I wish the state of  Washington had done the same for her sister. She's razor blades, long gone 'n rusted away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com