Very Important Day In History

Started by Delmonico, November 23, 2005, 09:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcey

1945 - 'Fat Man', a plutonium bomb carried by the U.S.A. B-29 bomber, Bockscar, was scheduled to be dropped on the Japanese city of Kokura. It was three days after the U.S. had dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima. The weather made visibility poor, so the aircraft passed Kokura and chose its secondary target, Nagasaki. Fat Man destroyed over half of Nagasaki and killed more than 70,000 people. This was the end of World War II. Japan surrendered unconditionally the following day.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Texas Lawdog

I'm not sure if BocksCar got saved from the scrap pile, I hope it did.  "Lest We Forget" is the motto of the CAF.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Texas Lawdog

I just did some research on Bock's Car. It is on display at the USAF museum at Wright-Patterson AF Base in Ohio.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

litl rooster

Quote from: Tensleep on August 09, 2008, 02:41:05 AM
On this date

1855 Battle of Acapulco during Mexican Liberal uprising
1862 Prelude to 2nd Manassas, Jackson is victorious at Battle of Cedar Mt, however Gen Charles S Winder is killed

Remember even the Mexicans beat the phrench
Mathew 5.9

Delmonico

Quote from: litl rooster on August 09, 2008, 12:03:15 PM

Remember even the Mexicans beat the phrench

Well ain't hard to whoop someone that eats funny tastin' gravy on everything.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Texas Lawdog

The Foreign Legion is their good miltary unit.   I do like the CAN CAN Girls!

Delmonico

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on August 09, 2008, 02:21:09 PM

Yeah, but I thought that was the idea behind the unit, no phrenchie's allowed. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Texas Lawdog

Eferyone gets a new identity when they join the Legion.

Russ T Chambers

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on August 09, 2008, 02:21:09 PM

Legion may be good, but most of the country is CAN'T CAN'T.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Texas Lawdog

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on August 09, 2008, 05:33:40 PM
I would like to go to Normandy.

Me too Tex.  That's hallowed ground as far as I'm concerned.  Nuff said.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Texas Lawdog

Del says them French folks eat funny sauce on everything.  I can't get past those paper thin flapjacks of theirs.

Trinity

Mmmmmmm, Crepes with chocolate/hazelnut spread are the best.

I toured Normandy and several of the D Day beaches back in March '94.  I would have liked to be there in June, but things would have no doubt been more expensive and much much more crowded.  As it was, I was able to climb around everything and get pictures with no one else in them. 
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Texas Lawdog

It would have been neat to be there in June, but you probably got to do more in the off times.

Arcey

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Texas Lawdog

Delmonico

Quote from: Arcey on August 14, 2008, 08:44:12 AM
1945. Japan surrenders.

Good thing, I understand we had no more U-235 and only enough plutonium to make 2-3 more bombs. :)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Texas Lawdog

Those wartime shortages effect us all, Del.

Leo Tanner

The plutonium rationing was tough on everyone.  Almost as bad as not gittin no silk stockins fer the ladies.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Arcey

Funny. The wife is on her last DVD of the series she's been watchin' over the summer. She's been gettin' two in each mailin' 'n she was down to one so she ordered 'Tora, Tora, Tora' for me. Showed up in the box today.

Think I'll watch it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com