Very Important Day In History

Started by Delmonico, November 23, 2005, 09:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Tanner

No need to ever ask for forgiveness when it comes to something like that.  IMHO at least.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Trinity

Quote from: Leo Tanner on April 14, 2008, 11:25:29 AM
I believe it was originaly to be christened the Jenny 13.  ;D

I was just thinkin about the Titanic about 5 minutes ago--didn't know this was the anniversary.  Don't ask me why ???

Leo

Probably that Celine Dion CD you've got playing the background. :o

Quote from: Arcey on April 14, 2008, 06:52:07 PM
Dependin' on which legend ya decide ta believe. She strikes ice after an ill maneuver called by Murdock @ 2340 hours, 14 April, 1912, ship's time. This effectively opened her starboard side to a long dentin', poppin' rivets 'n openenin' her to the sea. In a matter of seconds over thirteen hundred people were as good as dead.

Aprox 0220, 15 April 1912, RMS Titanic founders.

Shortly after 0400, RMS Carpathia begans to recover survivors. Carpathia would be lost to a German torpedo during WWI.

When it's thought Titanic was said to be 'unsinkable', one should remember that was a boast made by the press. Harland & Wolf, her builder, nor White Star, her registered owners, ever made that claim. She was iron. She'd sink 'n did.

I never knew that about the claim.  Funny how rumors and misperceptions have a habit of becoming accepted fact. :-\
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Delmonico

If the bulkheads would have went all the way to the top and sealed like a warship she never would have sank.  They only went part way up like the walls in an office cube, once it went over the top, she was done.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Leo Tanner

Trinity,
     The closest thing I have ta that is Dion and the Bellmonts.

It sounds very familiar that media made a claim on the ship being unsinkable when the honest man who built the thing is shakin his head sayin "we never said that."

The tradidtion continues.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Texas Lawdog

The compartments just kept flooding one into another.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Arcey

That's how they were built at the time. The designers relied on historical study of collision damage. Titanic was built to exceed accepted design standards of the day. They didn't envision a hull breach well below the water line running a third of the length of the ship. The designers didn't envision what was supposed to be the best assemblage of officers the company had to run her recklessly into an ice field they had been warned about either.

The bulkheads could have run up to A deck. Wouldn't have mattered. The first six compartments were breached. They would have flooded on their own. The pumps couldn't keep up. She couldn't stay afloat under those circumstances.

Human error. Murdoch held his speed and when it was obvious she was going to strike ice he made the wrong move. Game over.

His body wasn't recovered. The officers armed themselves prior to the order to load the boats. Many said he blew his brains out after the last boat was launched.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Arcey

Boys, I could yap about Titanic 'n several others, in detail, for the next year.

However, I would be remiss if I didn't mention today is the first anniversary of some damned loon shootin' up Virginia Tech killin' thirty two people who'd never done anything to him. Been wearin' this Tech ball cap in their memory for the past year.

May the victims rest in peace. May the shooter burn in hell.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Leo Tanner

Arcey,
     I remeber that incident sparked alot of discussion about the importance of concealed carry.  The buzz has died down out here on the left coast but I recall some good points being made on the subject pretty high up the ladder.

Never wanna see anything like that happen again.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Texas Lawdog

Ot, I had not heard about the Tatanic exhibit in Branson. Another thing to visit besides Roy and Dale's Museum. Some where in all that memrobilia is a certificate making Dale an honorary citiizen of Fort Worth. Also there should be a badge and Id card making Roy a Tarrant County Deputy Sheriff.  My Mom was really into the Titanic and she read alot about it. I got her the coffetable book that came out after Ballard found the ship.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Steel Horse Bailey

Ya know - I'm not big on conspiracy theories; I basically think they're over the top.

BUT ...

Ain't it interestin' how many things like this terrible event have happened, as more and more politicians WANT to outlaw guns?  Sure gets the antis riled up and the rest of the sheep un-educated demandin' legislation!

???
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Texas Lawdog

Leo Tanner

Yeah, they can't get the concept that a bad guy is more apt ta think twice when folks are carryin.  An even if he's a compete moron and goes for it anyway his spree is a million times more likely ta be stopped short.
     I guess the antis envision everyone in the streets takin shots at each other and leavin loaded weapons layin around fer the kids ta play with.
      Preachin ta the choir but.....

SUPPORT THE NRA!!!

Roland Deschain

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Leo Tanner on April 16, 2008, 06:21:12 PM
Yeah, they can't get the concept that a bad guy is more apt ta think twice when folks are carryin.  An even if he's a compete moron and goes for it anyway his spree is a million times more likely ta be stopped short.
     I guess the antis envision everyone in the streets takin shots at each other and leavin loaded weapons layin around fer the kids ta play with.
      Preachin ta the choir but.....

SUPPORT THE NRA!!!

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on April 16, 2008, 05:29:19 PM
What He said!  Here! Here!

Yep!  As my favorite author once wrote:  "An armed society is a polite society!"   R.H. Heinlein - and quoted or said by others!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Texas Lawdog

Steel Horse Bailey

Delmonico

On this day in 1942, Dolittle and crew flew off the USS Hornet.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on April 18, 2008, 11:04:27 AM
He was a good 'un!

Idn't he the one who said if he had to choose from bein a live jackel or a dead lion he said, "I'd rather be a live lion".   ;)
I guess it was actually L.L. that said that, but Heinlein wrote it down fer us.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Leo Tanner on April 18, 2008, 12:17:38 PM
Idn't he the one who said if he had to choose from bein a live jackel or a dead lion he said, "I'd rather be a live lion".   ;)
I guess it was actually L.L. that said that, but Heinlein wrote it down fer us.

Leo

Yep!

Four-Eyed Buck

Listen, my children, and you shall hear.................. ::)
Frisco is shakin' and burnin'
I got married the first time :o :o :-[ :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Leo Tanner

It was perty neat livin right by Swope park, and seein the train tracks where the bum gave his life to help another man save his wife.  Drove by the house RH grew up in--it's just like he described it in the book.  Some things in the story didn't settle right with me, but got ta say it was a facinating read.  Job was better  ::)

Leo

Roland Deschain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com