Very Important Day In History

Started by Delmonico, November 23, 2005, 09:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Irish Tom

I am sure that Klinger is wearing his best dress for the occassion!  ;D
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Leo Tanner

We can only hope  ;D
     I'll be over at the still in the swamp raisin a glass  ;)
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Texas Lawdog

I just wish that Klinger would use some NAIR!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on April 10, 2008, 04:44:15 PM
I just wish that Klinger would use some NAIR!

:) :D ;D
     Guess he was Farr from hygenic.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Delmonico

Nother one, over in London they is celebratin' Big Ben's 150th birthday. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Lucky Irish Tom

All the big Ding Dongs will show up for that one Del!  ;D
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Leo Tanner

150 years old an I bet ol Ben is still all hands.   ;D

ok, that was bad

Roland Deschain

Texas Lawdog

I didn't know Big Ben was that old, he doesn't look a day over 125.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

litl rooster

Funny I was thinking Harry Potter was just a young boy
Mathew 5.9

Texas Lawdog

Hogwarts University!  Rah! Rah!

Delmonico

On this day in 1970, Apollo 13 sent this now famous message, "Houston we have a problem." :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Recent declassified documents has traced the problem to allowing Forrest Gump to drive the thing. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Four-Eyed Buck

Lots went on this day in history. Lincoln's assassination, Titanic hit an iceberg, Lorretta Lynn was born, the first Volvo rolled off the assembly line............Buck 8) ::) :o
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Delmonico on April 14, 2008, 10:44:09 AM
On this day in 1970, Apollo 13 sent this now famous message, "Houston we have a problem." :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Recent declassified documents has traced the problem to allowing Forrest Gump to drive the thing. ::)

I believe it was originaly to be christened the Jenny 13.  ;D

I was just thinkin about the Titanic about 5 minutes ago--didn't know this was the anniversary.  Don't ask me why ???

Leo

Roland Deschain

Arcey

Dependin' on which legend ya decide ta believe. She strikes ice after an ill maneuver called by Murdoch @ 2340 hours, 14 April, 1912, ship's time. This effectively opened her starboard side to a long dentin', poppin' rivets 'n openenin' her to the sea. In a matter of seconds over thirteen hundred people were as good as dead.

Aprox 0220, 15 April 1912, RMS Titanic founders.

Shortly after 0400, RMS Carpathia begans to recover survivors. Carpathia would be lost to a German torpedo during WWI.

When it's thought Titanic was said to be 'unsinkable', one should remember that was a boast made by the press. Harland & Wolf, her builder, nor White Star, her registered owners, ever made that claim. She was iron. She'd sink 'n did.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Leo Tanner

How many variations of the story are there?  I've always been more interested with the Lucitania disaster and just accepted what was published about the Titanic.
     I like ta think that the band did keep playing--don't make it true but I like ta think it.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Delmonico

Saw something one time that said samples of the steel the brought up from it had a high sulpher content, sulfur in steel makes it brittle when near freezing.

Dance band on the Titanic
Sing "Nearer, my God, to Thee"
The iceberg's on the starboard bow
Won't you dance with me

Mama stood cryin' at the dockside
Sayin' "Please son, don't take this trip"
I said "Mama, sweet Mama, don't you worry none"
"Even God couldn't sink this ship"

Well, the whistle blew and they turned the screws
It turned the water into foam
Destination sweet salvation
Goodbye home sweet home

I'm in the dance band on the Titanic
Won't you dance with me

There was a trombone and a saxophone
The bass and drums were cookin' up the bandstand
And I was strummin' in the middle with this dude on the fiddle
And we were three days out from land

And now the foghorn's jammed and moanin'
Hear it groanin' through the misty night
I heard the lookout shout down "There's icebergs around"
"But still everything's all right"

Oh, the dance band on the Titanic
Won't you dance with me

They were burnin' all the flares for candles
In the banquet they were throwin' in first class
And we were blowin' waltzes in the barroom
When the universe went CRASH!

"There's no way that this could happen"
I could hear the old captain curse
He ordered lifeboats away, that's when I heard the chaplain say
"Women and children and chaplains first"

Well, they soon used up all of the lifeboats
But there were a lot of us left on board
I heard the drummer sayin' "Boys, just keep playin'"
"Now we're doin' this gig for the Lord"

I heard the dance band on the Titanic
Won't you dance with me

There's a wild-eyed boy in the radio shack
He's the last remaining guest
He was tappin' in a Morse code frenzy
Tappin' "Please God, S.O.S."

Jesus Christ can walk on the water
But a music man will drown
They say that Nero fiddled while Rome burned up
Well, I was strummin' as the ship go down

I'm in the dance band on the Titanic
Won't you dance with me

Won't you dance with me

Won't you dance with me
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Arcey

Saw that, Del. I've seen video of the damage too. Nothin' is shattered. It's bent 'n rivets are missin'. Never did appreciate Chapin's l'il ditty.

Leo, the survivors agreed the band was playin' 'til she broke in two. Some say they were playin' up-beat ragtime. Others last remember the hymn 'Autumn'. Whether or not they actually played 'Nearer My God To Thee' is probably properly attributed to the artistic license taken by Walter Lord in his novel 'A Night To Remember'.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Ozark Tracker

they have a new exhibit up at Branson, Missouri about the Titanic,  they've done a few news shows here locally, looks like it'd be an interesting trip.

http://www.bransonshows.com/activity/Titanic.cfm
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Arcey on April 14, 2008, 07:48:13 PM
Saw that, Del. I've seen video of the damage too. Nothin' is shattered. It's bent 'n rivets are missin'. Never did appreciate Chapin's l'il ditty.

Leo, the survivors agreed the band was playin' 'til she broke in two. Some say they were playin' up-beat ragtime. Others last remember the hymn 'Autumn'. Whether or not they actually played 'Nearer My God To Thee' is probably properly attributed to the artistic license taken by Walter Lord in his novel 'A Night To Remember'.

I believe a musician would have played the ragtime in that mess.  

Roland Deschain

Arcey

Askin' y'all ta fergive me if I go onna emotional rant.

When the french robbed the grave they sent a small ship downtown with stuff on it. I had my good camera 'n left an open AV slip on the CO's desk so I could have an extended lunch break.

In the convention center lobby displays were set up. Includin' her brass whistles. There were dishes, flatware, bottles of wine never opened. Don't remember what all. It didn't seem real. Since I was a freshman in high school I'd studied the ship and the accident. Then, it was only a myth, much like the Monitor 'n Virginia. Now, there it was.

They had more stuff on the ship. She was tied up at Outter Berth at Towne Point Park. I went aboard 'n looked around. Didn't see much 'til I come up on a tank of sea water. There it was. A lifeboat davit. That brought it all into reality. Real people made it from below decks to the boat deck only to see rows of the things empty. That was one of 'em. There was no security around. I took a flake of rust between my thumb 'n forefinger. Before I busted it off it entered my mind if I took it I'd be as much a thief as the french were, I let it go.

Went 'n found a bench away from folks 'n sat there a long while before I walked back to the office.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com