Very Important Day In History

Started by Delmonico, November 23, 2005, 09:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trinity

I'm lucky that I've never had much need to add salt to my food, even if it is a low-salt meal.  I can't even remember when the last time was that I picked up a salt shaker.

My taster is very sensitive.  To my tongue Splenda tastes just like the other artificial sweeteners.  A co-worker brought in some brownies one day.  I had one and asked her if she used the "fake sugar".  She answered quickly "NO!", but later admitted that she had, just didn't want to let me be right.  She now warns me if it's got the Splenda in her treats before I waste my time.

I had a bad time of it a couple years ago with kidney stones and therefore cut my coffee down to about 2-3 cups and began drinking more water.  Once you get used to it, it's not that bad.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Ozark Tracker

used to drink coffee all day and all night, it never did keep me awake, nowdays just a cup and half in the morning,  drink water the rest of the time, always keep a ice water glass here by ma chair and keep it full, we got an ice maker in the refridge but it has a hard time in the summer keeping up,  bought one of those counter top ice machines, now I got more ice than I know what to do with all the time,

try not to use much salt on anything,  a good salad is a downfall there, it needs just a touch of salt to bring  out the tastes.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Arcey

I cheat on shoot days. Carry a thermos. Here, rarely more than two cups these days. Then I hit the water.

Don't smoke nearly as much here as you see me it shoots. Just opened the second pack of taday.

Bro, I wanna see Noah on the field in pads 'n a helmet so bad. 'N I don't even know if Ali'll let 'im do it. I do know he won't go anywhere without his football anymore. They've given up on TV on Sunday because he throws a fit if they turn a game off.

Need ta live a few more years. I'd kindah like it if you'd hang around a few more too.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Four-Eyed Buck

There's three coffee-holics in this house, and I'm one of them. Have backed WAAAAY off on the salt. My Mom used to tell me I liked a little bit  of food with my salt ;D
I smoke and drink coffee, BP's basically under control, we're workin' on the cholesterol now that I got a Doc that gives a sh!%. Other than the circulation problem with the left peg, I'm holding my own. Need to walk more and try to keep my sweet tooth more in check( he said with some cake on the 'puter desk ;D) Don't use margerine other than to cook with, use the Brummel&Brown stuff to spread on food( tastes more like butter to me. used to love real butter). If I thought I could get away with it, I'd be using real butter now..............Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Tensleep

Quote from: Arcey on January 27, 2008, 09:16:34 PM
Need ta live a few more years. I'd kindah like it if you'd hang around a few more too.

That's why I take tha shots an' eat all that s**t that I doan like  ;D
I want to see Brian and Danny have kids.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Lucky Irish Tom

I know what you fellas mean.  I'm kinda partial to seeing the grandkids grow up.  I haven't had real salt in so long that if I am in a restaurant and they put too much on the food while cooking it I can't eat it. Butter substitutes, watch calories, carbs, eat a lot of Oatmeal, fruits, and vegetables.  Gave up smoking when my daughter was born 26 years ago, just sorta seemed like the right thing to do at that time. 
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Delmonico

Well despite all my problems, Doc says I'm fine eatin' and drinkin' the stuff I do so far.  Just hopin' in a couple weeks I can eat salads and other raw veggies agai, ain't been able to get away with it for about 3 years, they think the GB has been actin' up all that time, just got missed with the other stuff.

When I quit drinkin' I was studyin' up on home brewin' dang I hate ta think of what the copper ta build on a them things would cost today, with all the corn they grow round here I was thinkin' 'bout puttin' it to use. ;D  I have plenty of fruit jars. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Trinity

I'm thankful I never got hooked on smoking.  My mother has smoked since she was 13 and so far doesn't show any ill effects.  My brother started smoking in HS as a way to get to go smoke other herbs in the smoking cage.  He finally gave it up about ten or fifteen years ago. 

I used to smoke only while drinking.  I would go through a pack about every two weeks.  Actually, they started getting stale so I usually ended up throwing the last few away.  I can still remember the night nine years ago that I was hammered and started up a smoke and almost threw up.  That was my very last one.  I will smoke a ceegar every now and again, though.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Ozark Tracker

I always think about what my dad told me about him smoking,  he smoked unfiltered Camels, said he would light one from the last one when he was driving tractor, said he'd go through about 3 1/2 packs a day, smoked like that from the time he was 13 or 14 till he quit when he was about 45,

never did take up smoking, just chewing, almost anything, but I prefer a dip  :)

Trinity

Sounds like ol' "Popcorn" Sutton, a colorful character we have up in the mountains.  He's proud of the fact that he wakes up and uses a match to start his cigarette, but never uses another one that day. ;D

He drives around in an old Model T with a still on the back. ;D ;D

Click to enlarge

http://www.victorianvilla.com/sims-mitchell/local/vis/suttonp/

Silver Creek Slim

He looks like a real character.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Trinity

He is indeed.  I've seen several interviews with him on the cable channels.  Whenever folks are talking about moonshine, they have to include him because he is such an icon. ;D

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Trinity

Don't rightly know.  In answer to your unwritten question... no. ;D

Forty Rod

9.Bed,rancher,bookie. -------------- spreads

Of course.  Thanks, Arcey.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Arcey

My pleasure, Forty Rod.

You got to 'em 'fore I did anyway. Nine was all that was left.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Ozark Tracker

Missed this till this morning, yesterday was William O. Darby Day in Ft. Smith,  an annual event held out at Judge Parkers Courthouse and The old Fort.

William Orlando Darby
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

William DarbyWilliam Orlando Darby (9 February 1911 - 30 April 1945) was an officer in the United States Army during World War II. Darby led the famous Darby's Rangers which evolved into the US Army Rangers and was also made famous as a major motion picture staring the American actor James Garner in the role of Darby.

Darby was born in Fort Smith, Sebastian County, Arkansas on 9 February 1911. He graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1933. Darby had reached the rank of captain in 1940. Early in the war, Darby served in staff positions, but in 1942 he was assigned by his commander, Major General Russell P. Hartle, to form a new unit that was modeled after the British commando units. Darby's unit bore the title "Rangers" and gained the nickname "Darby's Rangers". The unit was famous for its daring night raids and hit-and-run tactics.

Darby was eventually promoted to the rank of colonel and he led the new unit into combat in North Africa, Sicily, and Anzio. Darby returned to the US after the destruction of the 1st and 3rd battalions at Cisterna.

Darby was killed by an 88mm artillery fragment on 30 April 1945 (the same day Hitler chose to kill himself) while attached to the US 10th Mountain Division near Torbole, Italy. Darby was posthumously awarded the rank of Brigadier General and is buried at Fort Smith National Cemetery. He was the only US Army officer so honored in WW2.

Darby's records, medals, military records, and uniforms are on display at the Old Fort Museum in Fort Smith, and his boyhood home is open for tours. One U.S. Army installation is named for Darby: Camp Darby, near Ft. Benning, Georgia, which is home to the second part of Benning Phase for Ranger School. Two U.S. Army installations in Europe were named for Darby: W.O. Darby Kaserne in Fürth, Germany (closed in 1995) and Camp Darby, near Livorno, Italy, which remains in use today.

William O. Darby Junior High in Fort Smith, Arkansas is named in his honor.

In 1958 Darby was the subject of the motion picture Darby's Rangers [1], starring James Garner (some assume the 30-year-old Garner was too young for the role, but Darby was only 34 when he died). Wayde Preston played a character based on Darby in Dino De Laurentiis's Anzio (1968).

A book about Darby's Rangers was published in July 2007, titled Onward We Charge: The Heroic Story of Darby's Rangers in World War II, by H. Paul Jeffers

Steel Horse Bailey

Good history lesson.  Thanks.  A TRUE military pioneer.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Silver Creek Slim

Thanks, OT. I'm gonna see if I can get those movies thru the library.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Texas Lawdog

Darby's Rangers is a classic WWII movie. It's filmed in Black and White and it traces the beginning of the Ranger Battallion during WWII.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com