Very Important Day In History

Started by Delmonico, November 23, 2005, 09:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

Used to see Schlitz in those little cans.  Never figgered out why any one one wanted little cans. liked tall boys myself. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Delmonico

Never liked the Kangaroo Whiz myself, but figgered Foster's had the right idea on can size. ;D

Some Aussie on the Lab board said folks downunder, most don't like Fosters so they send it here. ::)  makes me wonder about a lot of the imports. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Texas Lawdog

SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Arcey

We used to be able to get the l'il 7 oz. bottles of Rolling Rock. Pleazin' liked 'em cuz she usually didn't want a whole 12 oz. bottle.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Delmonico

Might be one of the reasons it's best I don't drink it anymore.  "Only had a 6 pack," yeah a six pack of quarts. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Four-Eyed Buck

If you can get Wallaby or Dakota Dan to elaborate, they'll probably tell you foster's is nasty. Maybe there it's like Old Milwaukee or Schaeffer's or the black & white label stuff. I've seen a couple posts from them about it. It used to be a big thing here for somebody to go over the Big Muddy and bring back coolers full of Coors. Kinda like getting some foreign made beers( Europeans)....................Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Arcey

That was always the second question. How large were the 'only two' you drank?

Boy that werked the first when I was a pup dated an airline stew. She'd bring Coors here. Made the acquaintances with some military pilots that would bring it back.

Went to the grocery 'n looked for l'il bottles. None domestic. A couple imports in 7 oz. bottles was it. That was Food Lion. Farm Fresh may have something. Their Beer/Wine section is larger with a better assortment to pick over.

Gene Walters left his mark. God Bless 'n rest his soul. The man loved those stores 'n his customers.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Texas Lawdog

We had Food Lion stores in the Metroplex for awhile.  Too much competition for them, so they only lasted a year or so.  I got introduced to Cheer Wine and Texas Pete's hot sauce.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Arcey

Rooster kin tell ya more about Food Lion than I can. He has an inside.  They broke some of them down to 'Bottom Dollars'. Been in one once. It's more like 'Bottom Feeders'. Employees weren't at all well trained. Ain't goin' back.

Farm Fresh has a better selection of everything. I think their meats look nicer but I can get 90% of what I want from Food Lion for less money per cart full.

The other thing, for me, is the nearest Farm Fresh has a tiny parkin' lot. Really cramped.
Pleazin' likes 'em but she rarely goes to this one. She waits until schools out then goes to the store near there.

Trinity

Quote from: Arcey on January 25, 2008, 02:41:13 PM
Gottah problem with the twist offs. My daughter brings home imports 'n stuff from micro-breweries. Where she developed a taste for that bitter crap I guess I'll never know. The caps on those things don't twist off. Commercial comes on, run ta the ice box, grab a bottle 'n run back. Take hold 'n give it a twist. Ya gottah scratched up hand 'n the wrong bottle. 

Should quit buyin' bottles anyway. Ain't the best idea when ya spend time in the garage or the barn. They're both on slabs. Glass 'n concrete don't get along when yer clumsy.

The grocery carries them mini-kegs of Heineken. Good beer. But it'd take up too much space in the ice box. That'd be ideal.

Reckon I'd be best off just gettin' cans.....

Weighin' in the conversation a little late.  Regarding the bitter stuff.  I looovee good German beer.  The imported stuff isn't as good as the real thing, in fact, I pretty much stopped fooling myself and drink domestic.  About the taste, however.  It is up to the drinker.  Once you get used to the stronger flavor of the other stuff, domestic beer really just tastes just like water.

About the twist offs.  I always seem to get the ones that tear the flesh anyway.  Therefore, I'm the wierdo that opens all bottles with an opener.  Got one with with a magnet stuck on the fridge. ;D

(used to be... when I was young and dumber than now... I would open them with my teeth.  Never caused any dammage, but boy, now do I think that was dumb.

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on January 25, 2008, 02:47:38 PM
I just don't like that metal taste from the cans.
Quote from: Arcey on January 25, 2008, 02:56:44 PM
Really think if someone poured one of each in a glass mug 'n I didn't know which was what I couldn't tell the difference. I don't like drinkin' from the can. It's rough 'n sharp 'n this 'stache ah mine gets hung up in the freakin' tabs.

Used to be a time when there was a noticeable taste in the canned beers, but not so much any longer.  Depending on the brand (Read: excepting the really cheap brands), you probably wouldn't even notice.  I usually buy bottles because I prefer to drink from them and they don't cost much more than the cans, if at all any more.

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on January 25, 2008, 03:02:09 PM
Arcey,  I've experienced that problem with the none twist off caps.  My hands are not as tough as they used to be.  Heinken is really great beer, especially on draft.  Not every one in Texas drinks Pearl or Lone Star. It's a disgrace to beer drinkers everywhere. As long as they keep makin Bud Light, I'm happy.  We have a Miller Brewrey in Fort Worth, it's next to a Mrs Baird's bakery. All we need is a Oscar Meyer weiner factory to have beer and hotdogs.  Gotta love those dogs.

Lone Wolf McQuade drank Pearl. ;D ;D 

I once found and bought a bottle of Lone Star in Spain to share with my then girlfriend.  I looked on the side and to my dismay saw that it was bottled in Winston-Salem, NC (Neighbor to my current hometown). :(

Texas Pete is also a Winston-Salem product.

Back in Texas, when my brother (11 years older) was a legal teenager and in his early twenties, no cops said anything if he was seen drinking and driving.  He would drink his beer and throw the empty out the window into the bed of his pickup.  I always had a chuckle because whenever he would round a corner all the cans would shift sides and create quite a ruckus. ;D  He and my brother-in-law were/are heavy drinkers.  My BIL drove a van and kept a large box into which he threw his empties.  When he and my sister moved to NC he was shocked to learn how to drive without drinking. :o
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Arcey

Texas Pete. It's about the flavor, not the burn...........  Yeah......

Had some vodka neither of us wanted. V-8 is always here. I buy multiple bottles at a time. Love the stuff. Decided I was gonna make me a Bloody Mary. Looked it a few reciepes. The one I chose said 'three dashes of Tabasco'. I use Texas Pete, not Tabasco. TP is only supposed ta be half as hot. So I put six in there. Skewered up some olives 'n stuck 'em in there. Got a straw 'n went 'n had a seat.

That darned thing lit my mouth slam up!

Trinity

;D ;D

Believe it or not, but I like V8.  Too bad the sodium content is SOOO high. :-\
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Arcey

Tried the low sodium stuff. Don't taste right. I'm addicted ta the full bore stuff.

Trinity

I tried it too. :P :P

My mother's got a juicer and made an awful mix of veggies that I would never eat.  It tasted awful, but it only took a glass of water to wash the taste away.  No awful bits and pieces stuck in the teeth to remind me of the terrible event.  I need to get one of those things.

Arcey

Thought 'bout home brew. Just n'er got 'round tuit.

Ozark Tracker

20 some odd years ago, my wife then decided we needed a juicer, and some wheat grass juice, well I raised wheat back then so I just went out and got her a tub full of cut green wheat stalks. she juiced it made about 2 quarts, she brought me a glass and I took a drink, 

that was the greenest tasting stuff I ever drank,  I mean you could'a closed yer eyes and knowed it was green :o
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Four-Eyed Buck

I like V-8 myself, but as Trinity noted, the sodium content now stops me from enjoying it. Haven't tried the low sodium, stuff..........Buck 8) ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Trinity

Arcey, I've thought about home brew too, but I've got waaaaayyy too many 'tuits to get to first. :-\

OT, I know what you mean: Smelled green. :P :P :P :P ;D

Buck, salt is truly an amazing thing.  It enhances the taste of everything we eat.  Unfortunately we have become so addicted to it. The low sodium V8 doesn't taste like much.  Salt is what gives it it's taste.

Arcey

As much as I hate it, I've given up table salt. There's not a single shaker of it in the house. On BP meds 'n the BP is steady good now.

Need ta do what the doc sez. When I want sumthin' ta drink, grab a bottle of water.

Cuttin' down ta two cups ah coffee in the mornin' stinks too.

Tensleep

I have given up beer (12 in the last 10 years), most all whisky... do drink a glass of red wine now and then...
gave up salt, gave up real sugar, Splenda is tha deal.......
Have to use that fake butter, not margerine..... YUCK..... cut out taters fer tha most part...

Damned if I'm gonna give up Cawfee.......

Now they want me to give up my pipe....  :o

what's left to live for?

If it weren't for CAS an' lean beef.........  ::)
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com