Recommendations for mould, etc.?

Started by RattlesnakeJack, November 22, 2005, 01:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RattlesnakeJack

The Marshal tells me he should soon have my Taylors Spencer carbine to ship to me!

I have asked him to look into also getting me brass, bullet mould and dies ....  Can the folks here make any recommendations along those lines? (I know I could try to wade back through all the threads on this forum, but would likely just get totally confused/lost.)

I take that Starline brass may be the only game in town (short of adapting .50-70 brass) or am I wrong on this assumption?  How about moulds (for use primarily with a smokeless load ... or probably Triple7 if I use a BP substitute.)  Think I saw one thread that indicated that only Lyman makes dies - is that still the case?
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Tuolumne Lawman

Howdy RJ,

Lyman makes the 56-50 dies specifically for the Taylor.  4-D makes them for originals.

As for bullets, there are many molds.  I like the Buffalo Arms custom .512/350 mold.  It does not seat as deep as some others and allows for more powder (triple 7, 40 grn volumne and a Winchester Magnum Rifle with a tigh crimp for consistant ignition. Wowee!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Dakota Widowmaker

Modified Lee die.

I am going to modiify a couple of these this weekend...

I will offer up what I have for other folks afterwards.

Lee has a 15 day lead time on their .512" bullet sizing dies from that I learned. $25

Tuolumne Lawman

Howdy Pard,

Are you modifying lee 500s to 350ish ?  Ifin you are, I would happily recompense you, to your satisfaction for a set.  MY BAC .512/350 shoots great, but I think your design would have superior long range, and looks more correct.  How much BP and triple 7 do you get in yours?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Dakota Widowmaker

Sliprock

Chattahoochee Blackpowder Arms had Armi Sport dies at the N-SSA spring national for the 56-50.  Armi Sport dies were either $110 or $120 verses the $50 for the Lyman dies.  I e-mailed Lyman about the problems I have been having with their dies (the same problems as others have posted neck expansion and crimping).  They told me to return these for evaluation. I'll keep the board posted on this.
Bruce

Wagon Wheel

Any idea who makes the dies for Armi Sport?

Dakota Widowmaker

The dies for the 56-50 are available from 2 vendors that I know of.

RCBS and Lyman

The RCBS will cost you over $100
The Lyman will only set you back $45

You can probably guess which ones most folks are using on this board.

Colt Fanning

Hi Dakota,
What is the number of the lee mould that you modify and how much do you turn off the back.

Regards

Colt Fanning

mtmarfield

Greetings!
When I bought my Spencer, I had L. Romano send a bullet mould with it; he made a little 300gr. RNFP that cycles well, and shoots o.k. I'd also picked up a couple of second-hand Rapine moulds from either eBay, or from Ron Petersons in NM, I don't recall; they are Rapine #.515320, and .515365, and dummy rounds cycle fine with both... I STILL need to try them out over GOEX. The 515365 looks a lot like the old Ideal #515139 .50 Win Express Bullet.
Being the kind of fellow that can NEVER have too many bullet moulds, I'd be delighted to pay a reasonable fee to a certain Spencer Shooter who transforms Lee .50-500gr. moulds into 350gr. moulds. I like the idea of leaving as much room for GOEX as possible, as I, too, long for a shot at our local fauna.
Oh, have you fellows with "Hunting Cartridge OAL" restrictions thought about seating your bullets out a tad & single loading your cartridges? If your chamber & throat dimensions would allow it, that might put you in the hunting field... Just a thought.

Be Well, All!

MTMarfield
                                           12-7-05

Apache Jim

Anyone tried NEI mould #379C?   Should cast out to .525-395.

French Jack

The only problem that I have with moulds that are that much oversize in my Taylor's Spencer, is that when you size them down to .512, you lose too much lube groove.  That's not what you need to do.  NEI would very likely make the same bullet design in a smaller size, say .515 if you requested it.  In an original Spencer, you would not have to do that.
French Jack

Apache Jim

Thanks.  I have a Taylors and an original.  I like NEI products so I will probably give them a call on Monday. 

Glenn

Check out NEI's 378c Lakota Spencer, it looks like a real good design with a huge grease groove and most of the bullet moved out of the case. The 379c also looks like it has a better grease groove than my Rapine. I've been trying to convince myself to order this for a couple years but I also want their 550 grain GC for my 50-140 Sharps Borchardt.  And a 500 grain for my 45-70......

French Jack

Just a suggestion---  NEI also will cut two different bullet cavities in the same mould blocks ( at least two cavity moulds) and perhaps more if a larger mould.  They charge a nominal fee for this, if I remember correctly, around $15 extra, per cavity.  I have had this done on several moulds from them, and it certainly makes the designs you would like to try more affordable.  I am sure that the bullets do not have to be the same caliber either.
French Jack

Apache Jim

Who makes a mould suitable for 56-50 Taylors that is close to the original 56-50 bullet design?

Oregon Bill

Looking at the affordable Lyman 515139, and the nose looks like it would feed, but the lube grooves seem pretty skimpy, dang it.

RattlesnakeJack

Quote from: Oregon Bill on December 12, 2005, 11:18:26 AM
Looking at the affordable Lyman 515139, and the nose looks like it would feed, but the lube grooves seem pretty skimpy, dang it.

That's the one I have on order through the Marshal, Bill.  Mind you, I expect most of my loads will be Triple 7, which works better with smokeless lubes, or else actual smokeless ... 
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Sloan Dodgy

I've used pre-cast 515139 bullets from Buffalo Arms in my .56-50 with black and they work just fine.  While the lube grooves aren't huge, they easily carry enough lube to cope with the 30-35 grains of black you can squeeze in under 'em, at least in the 20 inch barreled Taylor carbine version.  They shoot to point of aim, too.

Oregon Bill

Chili, that's good to hear. You using SPG or what? No hard fouling near the muzzle after a magazine or two of shots?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com