Shippin' & Handlin'

Started by Arcey, November 19, 2005, 12:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcey

L'il while ago I needed some bullet lube.  One of these days I'll get around to makin' my own.  The stuff I wanted isn't available 'round here.  So, I go to my old, reliable mail-order supplier.  Been dealin' with them folks for years, way before this internet stuff.

I find my product.  Price is less the four bucks.  Then I start fiddlin' with the shippin' & handlin' stuff 'n it's showin' me that's gonna cost two bucks more'n the single stick of lube.  Keep addin' to the number of lube sticks I'm orderin' 'til I get ta ten.  Now, the S & H charges are some fifty five cents more than it was for just a single stick.  Ordered up ten 'n me 'n my pard Wildcat Will split the order.

Ennyways.  I had some business needin' doin' with the USPS.  Tossed the packages in the truck 'n stuck me a stick of lube in my pocket.  After I finished up with the packages I decided to play.

Bought me a three by five padded mailer.  Sixty two cents.  Addressed the thing to myownself, slipped the stick of lube in 'n sealed it up.  Walk back ta the counter 'n the clerk sticks it on the scale – sixty cents.  Total, a buck twenty two 'n that's buyin' the mailer retail.  It was in my mail box the next day

Now, I understand there's an employee's time involved 'n the cost of the container.    But, it ain't as if they get a single order, box it up then rush it to the PO.  Ya got 'nuff stuff 'n the PO folks will pick it up when they drop your mail off.

Said so before, been dealin' with these folks fer years.  Back in the day, they didn't charge S & H at all.  It was in the price of the product.  In lookin' thru their wish book, don't look like their prices have changed that much either way since they started.  Lookin' to me like I'm gonna find another vendor or figure out some other way to lube my bullets..........
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

litl rooster

Arcey, It's all about profit.
Mathew 5.9

Forty Rod

How do they profit from losin' customers, or not gainin' new ones?

Don't make sense to me, but then I didn't go to college to learn how to be a bean counter.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Forty Rod

Okay, what caused that?

Sorry.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Arcey

Quote from: Forty Rod on November 25, 2005, 07:13:17 PM
Okay, what caused that?

Shippin' 'n handlin'................

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Four-Eyed Buck

;D ;D ;D ;D, Arcey. S&H has gone up all over due to increased fuel costs passed down to the consumer as well. Wonder if the USPS is still runnin' that $7 something ship rate up to 70 pounds?.......Buck 8) ::) :-\ ???
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Arcey

Yup, yup, yup.  Fuel has gone up.  Still payin' thirty seven cents fer a stamp though.

Got ta playin' 'round with a couple other on-line vendors.  Ya buy the same stuff from 'nother 'n they calculate their S&H by the price of the item.  Thinkin' maybe it is, after all, all about profit.

Bein' what I was for soooooooooooooooooooooo long, I'm suspicious of everything.  Seems I can just see some ole retired fella werkin' for seven bucks an hour rippin' an invoice from a printer.  He goes 'n pulls the order, stuffs it in a box, puts the postal permit sticker on it then tosses it in the out mail.  Ten minutes at the most even if he stops ta talk with another ole boy with the same job.

After that, he goes back ta unpackin' stuff what's come in, scans it ta get it on the inventory then gets ta shelvin' it 'til another invoice comes out of the printer.  Ain't no tellin' how many times he'll do that in a day.

One stick of SPG.  Actual cost of mailing, mailer included, a buck twenty two.  They're asking five eighty five. 

Somethin' smells like tuna here.  Or, it could be they just don't wanna mess with a small order like that.

Rod is correct.  May be my last order from 'em.  Got lube now.  Ain't in a bind for it.  I can start experimentin' with my own stuff....

Tensleep

Try this link brother, this is where I got tha lube when Dig an' I were makin' them boolits for tha Rollin' Blocks.

http://www.blackpowderspg.com/lube.html
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Missouri Marshal

Heck Cuz, I got 4 or 5 sticks of the stuff upstairs and you know how much I use it.  If ya run short jus give me a holler.
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Arcey

I'll book mark that, Bro.  Thanks.

Cuz, 'preciate it.  Dropped in a fresh stick, my last, just 'fore I ordered these.  At the rate my shootin's taken on I figger this is gonna last me 'til I kin shoot Elder Statesman Frontier Cartridge.

Yer both the best no matter what I say 'bout ya behind yer backs.

Camille Eonich

Quote from: Forty Rod on November 25, 2005, 07:13:17 PM
Okay, what caused that?

Sorry.

No problem...all cleaned up now.   :)
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

litl rooster

Arcey, one of the on line dealers we all have used here has a $25 minumum, then charge you by the weight. Now usually when I order it's over 25, on one order it was like $19.75, and they would not ship it unless it was. I ordered some cleaning patches they are light. The same company will send you their master cataloge, it's free, but they charge you for 4 pounds shipping.  Forty Rod, ya didn't have to go to college to be a bean counter on this.
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com