Why the Disdain for Pyrodex?- NEW DEVELOPMENT!

Started by Cholla Hill Tirador, January 20, 2016, 09:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cholla Hill Tirador

Don't know why this thread was moved, or where the Outhouse is located, but for those that were following it, you'll recall I was using Pyrodex P (with good results) because it's all I could find locally. So Tuesday I was off work and went to town looking for another pound of Pyro P to replace my depleted pound. None to be found, but I was given the telephone number of an old fellow who supposedly peddled black powder at local/area shoots. I call the gentleman and lo and behold he lives a little under FIVE MILES from my doorstep!
 I got to his house as quick as I could whereupon I find he has a VERY ample supply of the stuff. GOEX- $18 per lb. or Swiss for $25 per lb. tax included. Needless to say, I jumped on a pound of Swiss 3f for my newly acquired 44-40. Not only that, he said he'd be happy to buy the GOEX 2f for which I have no use. Win, win, win!
 So I spent yesterday behind the shop depleting the remainder of bullets, merrily whanging my 200 yd. gong.

Life is good...

CHT

Cliff Fendley

Why do you have no use for the Goex? With the right bullets and lube it should run fine in the 44wcf. The Swiss will be much much cleaner though. And you're right, life is good when you can spend the day behind the shop merrily whanging your gong. :o ;D
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Cholla Hill Tirador

Quote from: Cliff Fendley on January 20, 2016, 10:33:24 PM
Why do you have no use for the Goex? With the right bullets and lube it should run fine in the 44wcf. The Swiss will be much much cleaner though. And you're right, life is good when you can spend the day behind the shop merrily whanging your gong. :o ;D

First, because it's 2f which seems to be too course for the smaller case, and second, because it's nasty dirty, dirty nasty. I read somewhere on this forum that the older GOEX in metal cans shot much dirtier than current production. Besides, I see no need in changing bullets and lube just to use up powder that I don't really want or need.

CHT

Cliff Fendley

I have good luck with the 2f in the 44wcf but I agree with everything else. I think you'll find the Swiss will be a bit finer than what I remember the older Goex.

I quit buying Goex when it was still in the metal cans, I don't know if the new is any better or not but I can definitely see how you got a bad taste for black powder using it, that was terrible dirty stuff.

I did like when the black powders came in the metal cans though. I have a bunch saved.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com