Why CAS?

Started by PWDFR POSSE, November 11, 2005, 08:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PWDFR POSSE

Why did you chose Cowboy Action Shooting as your sport & what did you do before CAS?

Stump Water

Went to a match to observe.  Went to another one.  Met some neat people.  Get to shoot live ammo in competition.  Get the adrenaline rush each stage that you get once per season/hunt when hunting.

Before?  Firearms related I presume.  Hunted.  Mostly varmints.  Extreme precision high-power rifle load development.  .22-250 to 300 Win Mag.  Leupold scopes... free-floated barrels... bedded actions... quarter-pound trigger pulls.  200 yards... three shots... one hole.  Used to be a groundhog's worst nighmare.

But alas, Since CAS the groundhogs are restin' easier.

And before ya ask, yes.  I hunted 'hogs with a 300 Win Mag.  I reckon that makes me a groundhog warthog.

Texas Tall

I was shooting sevice/action type matches till I ran across some guys shooting CAS at our club
and I had a laugh to myself seeing them all Cowboyed up.
Yep had a giggle till I was invited to have a go then I was hooked and now just live eat and sleep for it now.
Have never met a friendlier bunch of people and thats what makes this such a great sport/hobby.
Regards................Texas Tall. :D :D :D
If you've gotta cheat ta win, you've only beaten y'self.
SASS# 47630
SA/Aust.2870
GSC 002

US Scout

For many years I'd been a reenactor. liviing historian and 'skinner/trekker but no longer had the time to devote a full weekend for the events. 

CAS offered me a chance to dress up and shoot black powder.  Best of all, for the most part I only needed one day out of my weekend to do it, and there were enough clubs around that I could usually find one or two shoots a month to do. 

I still try to find some time to get out with my flinters though.

Bitterwheat

a friend of mine gave me a copy of Shoot Magazine and I got online to SASS. Before that I was in to muzzle loading for about forty years Shooting  and rendezvous. building my own guns and few for others, made my own buckskin out fit. and most of my own stuff.

Singing Bear

Learned shooting with the Bullseye discipline, competed in IPSC, co-founded an IPSC club, co-founded our present CAS club after giving up all matters concerning the IPSC club. :)

Dakota Dan from OZ

Like Texas Tall I have been shooting for over 25 years and had the chance to put a CAS demonstration on about 7 years ago for about 6 clubs and I have gone from there with 2 clubs in the area shooting CAS and I run a club on the Central Coast in New South Wales north of Sydney It is called Kariong County Cowboys.

Where else can you shoot 2 pistols a rifle and a shotgun and have fun.and have a smile on your face from ear to ear. :D :D ;D ;D

Dakota Dan
GSC 001
My Pa once said "Son never take a knife to Gun Fight"  He told the truth.
SASS# 28875
SASS State Governor
SASA  Aust #2715
SASA State Discipline Chairman
RATS 239
PWDFR 146
GSC 001

Texas Tall

Letr me tell ya folks that the GSC under Dakota's sign off is for the Grey Sash Cowboys, a bunch of us all over sixty years of age and having a ball shooting CAS.
Dakota can fill you in on how it got started.
Regards........Texas Tall. :) :) :)
GSC 002
If you've gotta cheat ta win, you've only beaten y'self.
SASS# 47630
SA/Aust.2870
GSC 002

Marshal Will Wingam

I've always liked the guns of the old West so when I found out about CAS, it was a shoe-in. I went to a match to watch and started picking up my equipment. I was hooked before firing my first shot. It was the people as much as the shooting that attracted me to the sport. Before that, I just sat on the curb and mumbled to myself while selling pencils from a paper cup while the busses pulled in and out.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Scarlet Angel

Before CAS I  did target shooting (non competition) and alot of trail ridding, some competition with my horse. Can't say as I cared much for some of the people. CAS lets me do what I enjoy doing with others who enjoy doing the same thing. Most of all it is the people who keep me coming back.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I'd hate to be the one on the hell side." ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

PWDFR POSSE

Can't say as I cared much for some of the people.   :o

Ridin' Club or CAS?

dangerranger

I always liked old west guns. Ive had a few lever actions. mostly winchesters.my favorite days hunting were spent with a lever or a single shot.I had a couple of single action pistols, altho I never realy learned to shoot them well. I always wanted to be a cowboy.  one day I saw an add for a local mounted shooting group. I first tryed mounted shooting, but soon found I didnt have enough horse .So I added a pistol cal lever gun and gave SASS a try. It wasnt very long before I was hooked.The things that keep me comming back are the people, the shooting. and the fact that every thing changes every month.
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

Scarlet Angel

All the folks I've met doing CAS (mounted and non mounted) are welcome at my campfire Badlands.

Would be the others I would throw the hot coals at. :)..That's been along time ago though. I hope the folks have changed in that game over the years. But my experiences with them made me very cautious coming back to a game that is competitive.

I'm glad to say it's a whole different type of people that are amoung this group. Even the highly competitive folks are alot of fun.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I'd hate to be the one on the hell side." ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

The Arapaho Kid

Quote from: Badlands Walker on November 11, 2005, 08:49:02 PM
Why did you chose Cowboy Action Shooting as your sport & what did you do before CAS?

Well...I came into this almost by accident.  I was looking for a discussion board website that didn't center on the Civil War.  A friend steered me to TFS.  I signed up and got with it....not haveing a clue as to what the folks did.  As time progressed, I learned more and my interest grew.  I began to snoop around for guns and other equipment.  Finding it, I bought it and joined SASS and got my alias.  I thought that CAS shooters were the folks who put on those fake street gunfights...the Hollywood stuff.  Discovered they weren't.  I did my first shoot and I was hooked!

From the other point of view...I always wanted to be a cowboy.  Now I are one!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com