.50 ROA

Started by Noz, January 18, 2016, 11:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noz

There is a ROA by Bowen in .50 on gunbroker right now.

Dick Dastardly

I'm thinkn' it's a five shot cylinder.  Big hummer.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Coffinmaker

NICE!!  Artillery!!

Coffinmaker

Dick Dastardly

I have several customers that I made molds for the big front stuffer.  I have one left from that batch.  The bullets weigh around 300 grains and measure around .488" at the base.  One of my customers wants to use his modified ROA to hunt large dangerous game with.  I wish him luck and hope he has a good life insurance policy.

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Coffinmaker

First and foremost, the person needs to have the front sight removed.  For what I consider to be obvious reasons.
Large dangerous game with a front stuffer.  Harumpf!! 

Coffinmaker

PS:  Needs someone standing close with 600 Nitro double rifle.  What ever he shoots with that front stuffer is going to really annoyed with him  ::)

Dick Dastardly

I'm thinkn' that with a full house load of FFFg black powder he might get muzzle energy similar to a 30-30.  To my thinkin' I wouldn't take a 30-30 after large dangerous game.  Yes, the big pistol will boom mightly and recoil appreciably but actual penetration would be lacking.  WDM Bell sometimes used a 7x57 Mauser to kill elephants, but the .284 175 grain FMJ bullet would penetrate very well.  A .500" 300 grain soft cast bullet wouldn't get in far enough to reliably kill.  As already said.  It probably would just piss the critter off.

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Coffinmaker

That .50 wasn't actually built by Bowen, but WHO CARES!!  It is an absolutely gorgeous piece of work.  It is also one of a kind.  the parts
it was built from aren't even available anymore.

There are a number of critters it could be used to hunt.  But as we have discussed, nothing in the realm of really LARGE DANGEROUS
game.  The muzzle energy of a 30-30 is fine, but with the cross section of a .50 that is also a flat point, penetration in heavy animals
would be questionable. 
I think however, it would be really fun to play with.  I do doubt I'd be tempted to load it full up and set it off more than a couple of times.
I are a recoil wimp and that sucker would have some serious recoil.
I also really like the .45 Brimstone.  But I wouldn't want to shoot that much either.
It is however, one gorgeous example of the gun builders art.  Well worth whatever it brings.

Coffinmaker

Pettifogger

Very nice.  However, it will be interesting to see if anyone bids the starting bid let alone buys at the buy it now price.

Cliff Fendley

Might be fun for deer hunting and such.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

pony express

Coffinmaker, if you got that' you'd probably chop the barrel to 3" and make a snubbie out of it! I fired a couple of rounds from Walker re-bored to .50 once, although the Ruger is much stronger, I think they're both maybe good for white tail deer, but the only way I'd use it on any dangerous game would be if the critter already had me down where I had no other option.

Coffinmaker

Whoa!!!  What were you Thinking??  There's no way ....................... well .......

If I could get the guy who made the barrel with that wonderful integral front sight ramp, to make me one 3 1/2 inches long ..........
Oh wow,  A 3 1/2 inch .50Cal Snubbie!!  Oh man Oh man.  Yeapper .......... I could do wid dat!!!!

Da Coffinmaker
aka:  Hacksaw  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com