32-40 WRA brass

Started by Dick Dastardly, January 14, 2016, 04:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Dastardly

My culpa,

The brass I thought was to be 32-20 is not.  It is 32-40 WRA brass.  This is a true odd ball to me and I'd appreciate any information on this caliber.  It's about as long as 38-55 brass, with continuous taper.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Cliff Fendley

It's no good for anything, just send it to me ;D

I have an early Winchester model 1894 chambered in it, the gun was manufactured in 1898.

It was a black powder cartridge 32 caliber bullet 40 grains of black powder. Even though it is commonly called 32-40 Winchester I believe it was originally developed in the 1880's used in single shots originally called 32-40 Ballard. I believe Winchester first chamber it in the Model 94. Not uncommon to see early Marlins chambered for it also.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Cliff Fendley

It seems the 30wcf and 32ws Winchester cartridges were basically designed off of the 32-40. They have the same head and rim diameter. You can fire form 32-40 from 30-30 or 32 Special.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I had one made up on a Ruger #3 action when I was competing in Schuetzen matches in Alberta. With carefully cast and prepared bullets it is easily capable of minute of angle or better with care. Here is a Chuck Hawks article;

http://www.chuckhawks.com/32-40WCF.htm

Case length sometimes becomes an issue. COTW states the case length as 2.13, a spit away from 2 1/8 inch. I have successfully made ammo from .32 Special or .30-30 cases that end up at 2.06 inch. The difference makes very little matter, but I have found that case weights vary considerably, so weigh and sort as case weight differences affect case volume directly. For smokeless powder, the comparison that I use is 8 grains of brass having the same volume as 1 grain of smokeless powder. The difference is not unsafe for cautious reloaders but accuracy could suffer.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

john boy

DD - a good overview about the 32-40 caliber ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32-40_Ballard
Is one of the popular calibers for old single shot rifles and there are many modern rifles, ie, the CPA Stevens 44 1/2 with Badger and Douglas barrels being used for Schuetzen matches.
I shoot a 32-40 CPA using breech seated bullets - my favorite is the Doc Hudson designed tapered Ideal 319273.  The caliber is an optimum 300yd round
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Dick Dastardly

Thanks for the timely information Gents.  I have 22 pieces, all factory new with the bullets pulled.  They are all primed.  Since I have no use for them I'll donate them to someone that will make use of them.

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Blackpowder Burn

The 38-55 was the parent case of the 30-30, so I assume it was for the 32-40 as well?
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Dick Dastardly

Sir Charles,

That's a very good read and the information on Mr. Pope was quite interesting.  Thank you for posting.  I did note that they said "the Schuetzen boys are using heavy cast spitzer bullets to good effect".  Sounds a lot like the big semi spitzer DD 45-70 500.  I may offer a .32 Cal mold based on that design but reduced to .32 Cal dimensions.

Again, thanks for the information Sir.

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Dick; barrel twist is, as usual, VERY important. As usually barreled in The Day with a 1-16" twist, the 165+- was quite accurate. For Schuetzen distance of 200 meters (40 rod) a heavier bullet carries better. I have a 180 gr HOCH nose pour mould that doesn't shoot as well in my #3 Ruger barreled by Ron Smith at 1-16". NOT due to Ron's excellent quality barrel, but as we decided on the twist before Schuetzen competition had advanced in the usual equipment race the twist was too slow for 180 gr plus. Looking in my 3d edition COTW Frank Barnes only lists 165 gr. bullets.

I don't think you will find a market with the Schuetzen crowd, as smokeless is the rule. If you make a 165-170 grain RNFP, it might be handy for the older rifles that remain in service. You know the ones that may still be of interest to our CAS & Darksider Pards. Calculate the bullet diameter to about .321 - .322.

These are my thoughts. Before investing in a cherry, get some more EXPERT advice.

Coffinmaker

Remember, Sir Charles,  an Ex is a "has been" and Spert is only a "drip under pressure."  ::)

Coffinmaker

Quote from: Coffinmaker on January 15, 2016, 12:29:07 PM
Remember, Sir Charles,  an Ex is a "has been" and Spert is only a "drip under pressure."  ::)

Coffinmaker

As well, "x" = the unknown quantity!   (I'll leave interpretation to our Pards.)

Blair

I chose a 1-16 ROT within the  three BP Cartridge Rifles I set up for myself (38-55, 40-65 and 45-70).

This choice was based off of the info I could get from my Schuetzen Shooting counter parts. For the time, I used the heaviest bullet I could find for the 38-55 and the 40-65. As for the 45-70 I did not care for the heavy recoil offered by these heavy bullet in this caliber. I chose to stay within a 405 to a 425 weight of the bullet, depending on lead to tin content.

Perhaps someone can tell me just what this "Squirt, Spirt and Drip" means?
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Mike

Blair, im with you.  ;D?? Your 3 gun sound like great chosess.
32-40 has interested me, i have case but no gun as yet missed out on two 94's.
Buffalochip

Quote from: Blair on January 15, 2016, 01:17:23 PM
I chose a 1-16 ROT within the  three BP Cartridge Rifles I set up for myself (38-55, 40-65 and 45-70).

This choice was based off of the info I could get from my Schuetzen Shooting counter parts. For the time, I used the heaviest bullet I could find for the 38-55 and the 40-65. As for the 45-70 I did not care for the heavy recoil offered by these heavy bullet in this caliber. I chose to stay within a 405 to a 425 weight of the bullet, depending on lead to tin content.

Perhaps someone can tell me just what this "Squirt, Spirt and Drip" means?
My best,
Blair

As they say on Jeopardy; "What is an expert, Alec"  Coffinmaker saw my opening and made a joke. It's an oldie,but a goodie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com