Froglube vs Ballistol

Started by Knucky McPolack, December 31, 2015, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knucky McPolack

Currently I am using just dish soap and water to keep my 1873 45LC running between stages.  Ballistol is not available at my favorite sporting good stores (Sportco) but they carry Froglube.  Has any of you Darksiders tried Forglube or should I just keep using dish soap and water.  I do break my rifle completely down immediately after a match and hourly clean and lube it.  I was just looking for a good CLP that won't gum up.  Sure wish I had the gold to buy a 1873 in 44-40. 
Black Hammer

Dick Dastardly

Howdy BlackHammer,

Just because I sell Big Lube®LLC molds, many in 45 Caliber, I had to buy a 45 Colt rifle so as to be ready and able to answer questions about this venerable old pistol caliber being used in SASS matches with black powder.  The gun I bought is made by Chiappa (sp).  These are NOT known for their quality of workmanship.  I handed it to Huckelberry while it was New in the Box.  Huck did his magic on it and it runs very smoothly and reliably.

This gun has become my favorite for SASS matches.  It is NEVER cleaned during a match and usually not real soon after a match.  Sometimes it sits around for a week or two before I get around to cleaning it.  This includes 3 day Annual matches.  The gun never bobbles, jams, looses accuracy or reliability.  Of course, I shoot Big Lube® bullets exclusively.  My favorite has become the J/P 45-200 lube/sized with PL-II over a compressed charge of Schuetzen FFFg.

No, I'm not real fast, but I've won enough wood with it to start a small cooking fire. . .  ;)

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Lefty Dude

You will find Frog Lube very BP friendly. I use it to lube my Colt C&B Revolvers. It is an excellent product for base pins and Arbors. Also as a general lube for internals and such.
I shoot a 73 Carbine in 44WCF, and load the cases with APP. After a match and a few days after I clean the piece with Simple Green & Water. A 50% mixture of each. When the bore is clean I put FL on a patch and lube the barrel, and leave a thin film of FL there in the bore. Then I take the same patch and wipe outside metal and again leave a fine film of FL.

FL is pricey, but a little goes a long way.

BTW; Frog Lube and Ballistol play well together. I carry a small spray bottle of ballistol in my gun bag. If something gets sticky or needs a touch -up, the Ballistol does the trick.

The more you use Frog Lube the easier it is cleaning Black powder Firearms.

Knucky McPolack

Howdy DD and Lefty Dude,

Thanks for the advice.  I am going to give your mold and pearl lube a try.  I didn't see the J/P 45-200 mold on your site.  Did you mean the J/P 45-210.  Also the Schuetzen FFG is also definitely worth a try.  I never heard of this powder before but I am fairly new to the dark side of cowboy shooting.  I am currently using 777 FFFG.  Can you tell me your recipe for the 45 colt for your rifle.

Thanks Black Hammer

paledun

Blackhammer, I also fought my 73 in 45 Colt with sprays of Ballistol, water and unpleasant words.  I finally decided to address the buildup of crud caused by combustion products blowing by the case into the action.  I now anneal my cases and my action requires no more attention than any 73 using a 44-40. Following a match, I clean the barrel.  Minor cleaning of the lifter and toggles every 6 months or so if I just like to see the lifter shine. No need to chase the benefits of a 44-40 if you want to keep your 45.  Just improve your 45 by annealing the brass.  Sagerider

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Black Hammer,

Yup, you've got the right mold picked out.  Typo on my part.

My recipe for bp in 45 Colt and the lube sized J/P 45 is enough powder that it is compressed between 1/16 and 1/8".  You don't need to heavily compress the powder but leaving an air space between the powder and the bullet can do bad things.

I buy my Schuetzen black powder from Buffalo Arms.  (http://www.buffaloarms.com/)  They will happily combine different granulations and brands to make up a 25 pound case.  Some of my pards and I get together to buy a case and split up the cost.

Ballistol mixed 1:10 with water (1 part Ballistol to 10 parts water) makes Moosemilk.  I spritz this down the bore and pull a boresnake thru and I'm done.  About once a year or so I dismantle my rifle and clean the innards with Moosemilk and lubricate it with straight Ballistol.  No sign of rust.

DD-MDA  
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Cemetery

Quote from: BlackHammer on December 31, 2015, 11:15:52 AM
Currently I am using just dish soap and water to keep my 1873 45LC running between stages.  Ballistol is not available at my favorite sporting good stores (Sportco) but they carry Froglube.  Has any of you Darksiders tried Forglube or should I just keep using dish soap and water.  I do break my rifle completely down immediately after a match and hourly clean and lube it.  I was just looking for a good CLP that won't gum up.  Sure wish I had the gold to buy a 1873 in 44-40. 
Black Hammer

Getting quality mineral oil from the local drug store, or medical supply shop is a good alternative to Ballistol, I've met a few fellow Darksiders who use it, and never went back to Ballistol.

If you talking about clearing fouling from the barrel, I've used PAM (yes, cooking spray) and a bore snake on my 73 in 38spl with no problems.
God forgives, I don't........

Knucky McPolack

You cowboys (Darksiders) are awesome.  I love this forum. ;D

Blackpowder Burn

You may also want to investigate Powder Inc (www.powderinc.com) for your black powder.  They sell all brands and their pricing includes HazMat and shipping costs.  They have the best pricing I've found and are great to work with.

If you're going to cast bullets, the least expensive lead alloy source I"ve found is John Walters (thetinwadman@cox.net).  He beats any other supplier I've found by at least $0.50 per pound.  A very nice man to deal with.

Cleaning with moose milk (per DD) and a patch with straight Ballistol down the bore has worked well for a number of years now.  You can order Ballistol from most internet retailers (MidwayUSA, etc.).
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

litl rooster

Frog LUBE was designed for semi auto pistols- it was found to work well on all guns being used in shooting sports.  I use it as a LUBE as it is named. Coating all moving parts on my weapons from my 1860 to my AR.
I use Ballistol or as known in the Dark arts "Moose Milk" to clean and wipe down the furniture.

I was using a product Marshall Halloway was peddling some years back.  Came in a needle bottle.. For pin pointing application. GunButter i believed it was called. I swear you could shoot a hundred rounds thru a gun and find the red oil, on your first wipe when cleaning. Frog LUBE stays on my Glock and 1911 after a hundred rounds but can't say that for my revolvers or lever actions.

Whatever happened to GunButter?
Mathew 5.9

Cemetery

Quote from: litl rooster on January 01, 2016, 07:53:53 AM
Whatever happened to GunButter?

GunButter is for sale on Amazon.....I use it on my 1911's
God forgives, I don't........

Coffinmaker

Hey Guys,  I may be missing something here, but I read the OP as asking how to keep his gun ('73 in 45 Colt) running "during" a
match as opposed to after match cleaning and maintenance.  I read it wrong??

Anyway .........

Couple of suggestions.  It's a Uberti '73 in 45.  Generous chamber.  Blow-by.  Good suggestion - Anneal your case mouth.  'tother good suggestion, shoot 44-40 cases as 45s (it really works).

Can't get ballistol from your LGS - Order the little spray cans in bulk, on line.  Cheaper too.  Next, equal parts solution of Murphy's Oil Soap, Hydrogen Peroxide and Alcohol in a little spray bottle.  Squirt Squirt in between stages.  Or, just peddle the 45 to a smokeless heathen and
get a 44-40, with new dies, and cases, and bullets, and nothing that matches your current handguns ........ Nah.  Just make up some MHA
and use 44-40 cases.

Coffinmaker

FORGOT:  If the real question is just Lube, like for Lube, I like Mobil 1.  Mobil one Grease and Mobil 1 Motor oil.

Noz

Quote from: Coffinmaker on January 01, 2016, 08:29:40 PM
Hey Guys,  I may be missing something here, but I read the OP as asking how to keep his gun ('73 in 45 Colt) running "during" a
match as opposed to after match cleaning and maintenance.  I read it wrong??

Anyway .........

Couple of suggestions.  It's a Uberti '73 in 45.  Generous chamber.  Blow-by.  Good suggestion - Anneal your case mouth.  'tother good suggestion, shoot 44-40 cases as 45s (it really works).

Can't get ballistol from your LGS - Order the little spray cans in bulk, on line.  Cheaper too.  Next, equal parts solution of Murphy's Oil Soap, Hydrogen Peroxide and Alcohol in a little spray bottle.  Squirt Squirt in between stages.  Or, just peddle the 45 to a smokeless heathen and
get a 44-40, with new dies, and cases, and bullets, and nothing that matches your current handguns ........ Nah.  Just make up some MHA
and use 44-40 cases.

Coffinmaker

FORGOT:  If the real question is just Lube, like for Lube, I like Mobil 1.  Mobil one Grease and Mobil 1 Motor oil.

I too have discovered Mobil 1.

mehavey

Plain old NAPA cutting oil mixed 1:7 with plain old water
(+ a 'dash' of Simple Green and/or plain old PineSol)

Nothing has ever really improved on that plain old mix. ::)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As for after-action BP-compatible "CLP" (as noted above) -- Mobil-1 Full Synthetic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com